Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Thrilla in Manila II possible!

Wow, now that would be cool! Would be very easy for Arum/King to make the matchup and would be worth seeing 2 speed guys go at it!

Only thing that's kind of a bummer would be the potential to break records. The biggest stadium in the Philippines is the Rizal Memorial National Stadium that seats 30,000 for track and field events so could probably do somewhere closer to 40,000 for a boxing match, but it's scheduled to be under construction with a completion sometime later this year - not certain enough to make the event there. It'd likely be held at the Araneta Coliseum (same as the original Thrilla) which seats 25,000 for basketball games.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=69
Quote:
Legendary Don King mulls Thrilla Part II
By Abac Cordero (The Philippine Star) Updated January 24, 2011 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Don King, who promotes boxers, makes fights and sells them like no other, is thinking of Thrilla in Manila Part II.

Manny Pacquiao vs Devon Alexander.

The flamboyant heavyweight figure said granting that Alexander gets past Timothy Bradley in their WBC light-welterweight clash on Jan. 29, he will work it out with Bob Arum, and make the fight happen.

King and Arum, who conspired in bringing the Ali vs Frazier trilogy to Manila on Oct. 1, 1975, were recently pictured together, smiling, back in each others arms following a feud that lasted for decades.

It seems that all’s well between them, and now they’re back doing business, starting off with the Miguel Cotto-Ricardo Mayorda promotion on March 12.

King, who wears his hair like it defies gravity, said Pacquiao vs Alexander (young, strong and undefeated) could happen.

“Well, we’re going to be working on it. I understand exactly where we are and I will make lonesome Bob happy and he won’t be lonesome any more,” the 79-year-old King told Fanhouse.com boxing editor Lem Satterfield.

“When we get past Tim Bradley, there won’t be anywhere else to go because we’ve talked about Manny Pacquiao for Ricardo Mayorga. But Devon Alexander is a Jewel of The Nile and he will be there shining brilliantly. When he wins this fight on Jan. 29, then he will be able to stand tall and to say, ‘Let’s do it.’

“So, categorically, we will jump through a hoop to get to Manny Pacquiao. That would be another Thrilla in Manila,” King told Satterfield.

Pacquiao, the greatest boxer of his era, is scheduled to fight Shane Mosley on May 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, and experts insist that it’s going to be another victory for the fighting congressman from the Philippines.

Then, as King sees it, it could be a fight against Alexander next.

Maybe they can do it in Manila, in October, on the first, right on the 36th anniversary of that heavyweight thrilla.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Miss Foxy

Old 01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
LOL, don't worry, your boy Marquez will get his chance soon enough. (I HOPE!!!!)
Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 PM
rearnakedchoke

i hope they don't bill it as TIM2 ... that is perhaps the greatest fight ever with 2 of the greatest fighters ever ... it capped of perhaps the greatest rivalry and trilogy of fights ever ...
Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i hope they don't bill it as TIM2 ... that is perhaps the greatest fight ever with 2 of the greatest fighters ever ... it capped of perhaps the greatest rivalry and trilogy of fights ever ...
agreed
Old 01-25-2011, 04:20 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
Agreed as well.