Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-26-2011, 03:01 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
I have to agree with what BJ said, Fitch is a grinder! And there is a good possibility he will grind out a victory against BJ. But on the other side of the coin, I could also see BJ KOing Fitch!

Either way, BJ will not last at WW. As long as GSP and Kos are in the mix, BJ doesn't stand a chance. I believe Kos alone would run through BJ.
i'd actually like to see BJ win this ... fitch/kos and swick are all chumps for saying matt hughes wouldn't fight any of them .... fitch is a punk ... he was offered a shot at matt and turned it down ...
Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i'd actually like to see BJ win this ... fitch/kos and swick are all chumps for saying matt hughes wouldn't fight any of them .... fitch is a punk ... he was offered a shot at matt and turned it down ...
When did those idiots say that? Grrr now I will make sure that I from here on out post hater remarks on all 3 of them douchebags...
Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 PM
rearnakedchoke

old stuff, but it was said none the less ....
The Old Lion's Dilemma: Matt Hughes and the Boys at AKA
30 | 09 | 2009 | Rainer Lee Share

Earlier this month, following his TKO victory over Frank Trigg, Josh Koscheck spoke into a microphone and demanded a fight with the aging Matt Hughes. We could take this any number of ways. Maybe it speaks to the aura that Hughes carries; that despite his diminished skill (and as a result, his diminished standing), he yet appears, to the ambitious young men of the welterweight division, like a giant to be conquered. More cynically, we might consider that Koscheck, in the wake of a surprising and rather embarrassing TKO loss to jiu-jitsu stylist Paulo Thiago, is trying to rebuild his reputation off of Matt Hughes’ own; that Hughes, as a fixture in the welterweight division, presents a talented young fighter with the chance of adding a big name opponent to his list of victims without any of the typically associated risk. Strange, though, that anyone should end up seeing Koscheck’s challenge as evoking cowardice on the part of Matt Hughes.

In the days following the challenge, Matt Hughes responded plainly: “I have no interest in fighting Koscheck.”

“I find Koscheck calling me out kind of puzzling. I was used to kids calling me out when I was the champ, but…I’m puzzled as to why Koscheck wants to fight me [now].”

Mike Swick, American Kickboxing Academy welterweight and training partner to Josh Koscheck, had, apparently, been expecting such a response. “We knew he wasn’t going to take the fight…. He won’t take a fight with any of us,” Swick told Cagepotato.com. Swick went on to imply that Hughes has been ducking him, Koscheck, and teammate Jon Fitch for some time. He explained that Koscheck only leveled the challenge at Hughes as a means of publicizing, in front of the thousands in attendance and the tens of thousands watching from home, the former champion’s reluctance to engage. “We know he’s not going to agree to it. It’s just a game now.”

Such behavior on the part of Swick or any of his teammates is, in a word, repugnant. The fans who take to heart their claims are doubly so. Ask yourselves:

Are we so ignorant as to deny the practical needs Matt Hughes faces as the end of his career draws nigh?

Matt Hughes is no longer a “top 10” welterweight. By some standards, he might not even be ranked among the top 15 anymore. Most fans recognize this, and probably most fighters, as well. Matt Hughes himself probably knows this. He doesn’t have the skills—if we understand explosiveness, durability, and reflexes to be skills alongside jiu-jitsu, boxing, or wrestling—to compete with the new generation of welterweight elite. With a career spanning 50 professional fights and nearly 12 years, his ring age simply won’t allow him to. Understanding this, Hughes understands that retirement is one or two bad fights, one or two injuries in training, one or two slight missteps away. This puts him in any number of difficult positions, the most tangible being financial.

Unlike many great painters or writers, doctors or politicians, the best mixed martial artists burn brightly, but only briefly. Fighters are physically compelled to retire at a relatively young age, making the end of their careers a particularly trying time when it comes to the unpopular, uncomfortable, but nevertheless important question of money. Even for a superstar like Hughes. Or, perhaps, especially for a superstar like Hughes.

Unfortunately, like many of his generation, the time Hughes spent as a pillar of the UFC was also time spent working through the lean years of mixed martial arts. Now, with lucrative sponsorships and high pay-per-view buy rates becoming ever more a staple in MMA, Matt Hughes has the opportunity to make up some ground before his primary source of income dries up. With this in mind, he needs his last one, or two, or three times in the octagon to be in the service of marquee fights: contests to drive the fans’ blood up, and drive Hughes’ share in pay-per-view sales up, in turn. In this regard, as much as he might like to run his mouth, a “Mike Swick” doesn’t have the goods.

Are we so callous and insensible as to deny the psychological needs of an aging titan?

It’s not hard to imagine that Matt Hughes wants to end his career on the crest of a victory, and this is fair. Having contributed so many years, so many hard-fought rounds to the sport we love, he deserves fights that present him with an appreciable chance at victory. Realistically, a fight with someone like Josh Koscheck—faster, more powerful, with a greater capacity to learn, and a foundational skill set that mirrors Hughes’ own—doesn’t afford him such an opportunity.

At this point, one may be compelled to invoke the image of the ideal fighter: one who struggles tooth and nail against the toughest competition (or demonstrates a willingness to) until the absolute end of their career. This is stupid. A fighter’s skills abate. His natural talents abandon him. To require that he proceed through the latter days of his career as if this weren’t a fact of his life is to require either that the fighter be stupid, or that the audience be cruel.

Are we so gullible as to be impressed by the frat boy posturing of the AKA welterweights?

As emerging, potential contenders, one should think that Mike Swick and Josh Koscheck would be in a state of relentless pursuit. Divisional supremacy is the goal, and victories over ever-greater competition are the necessary steps. Instead, they seem alarmingly fixated on challenging a fighter past his prime. And when that fighter declines to meet them, they belittle him, and make a “game” of him. They do this shamelessly, with great enthusiasm. Yet, the more they rattle their sabers at Hughes, the more I wonder: Who’s really acting a coward? Who’s the one dodging a fight?

Given the depth of the welterweight division, this preoccupation with Hughes is unjustifiable. Swick, Koscheck, and Fitch may have refused to fight each other on the basis of friendship (an inconvenient decision for which they have demanded fan support and professional understanding, thereby making their own lack of sympathy towards Hughes’ particular decisions all the more deplorable), but there yet remains a host of threatening contenders. Koscheck might focus his attentions on Thiago Alves, a nightmare puzzle that he failed to solve the first time around. Mike Swick should consider facing any opponent of a higher caliber than Ben Saunders or Jonathan Goulet—opponents who, in their respective inexperience and natural deficiencies, constituted nothing more than showcase fights.

This sideshow, this baseless feud that the welterweights at AKA seem so intent on promoting, needs to stop. Not only is it a distraction within one of MMA’s most competitive weight classes, it is also grossly disrespectful, and indicative of a disturbing trend. Tito Ortiz may have done it first: padding his record and drawing whatever clout he could from Ken Shamrock, a name fighter past his prime. More recently, Jake Shields has given much of his time to barking at Frank Shamrock. And then there are Mike Swick, Josh Koscheck, and Jon Fitch.

Someone should remind these eager, bloodthirsty young fighters that we are of the race of men, after all, and not wolves. We don’t need to see our elders torn apart before they are turned away from the pack. As the first great champion in the UFC’s welterweight division, Matt Hughes certainly deserves better.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
rearnakedchoke

Jon Fitch Weighs In On Matt Hughes' "Big Fight" Demands and Turning Down AKA Opponents
04 | 12 | 2009 | Randy Harrison Share

Rumors have been flying for the past few weeks that a Welterweight bout between future UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes and internationa MMA legend Renzo Gracie is in the negotiating stage after Hughes turned down other fights to wait for a "big fight" opportunity. Now it appears that one of the fighters that Hughes turned down is speaking out about what he feels is Hughes' future at 170 pounds as well as Hughes' assertion that he's still near a title shot.

Here's what Jon Fitch had to say to Heavy.com about Hughes and his future career plans;

"[American Kickboxing Academy] has been asking for that fight for a very long time, and that fight is continually not made to happen or isn't allowed to happen. And he's publicly said that we're [Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck and Mike Swick} not big enough names and that we're not important enough for him to fight us. It kinda rubs us the wrong way. If you're trying to be a contender and you're trying to earn a title shot, then you need to fight the top guys. And Matt doesn't want to fight us.... I have no problem with [Matt Hughes] headlining cards with dream matchups against guys that people want to see him fight. If it's not for high rankings or a title shot, I don't see a problem with it. But he's not admitting to that. He's trying to say that he's still one fight away from a title shot. He wants to fight for the title. But if he's going to fight for the title, he has to put in the work. He has to fight the guys who are standing in line in front of him. But if he wants to fight someone like Renzo Gracie? I think that's a great fight. I'd love to see that fight. It's cool, you know? But don't make statements like you're still number two in the world and your next fight should be for the title."

Fitch's teammates Josh Koscheck and Mike Swick have made numerous public verbal statements calling out Hughes for a potential fight, but all of the advances have been rebuffed. It's interesting to see that the usually-quiet Fitch has come out on the record and addressed the situation in full. Could this be a final attempt at trying to get the former UFC Welterweight Champion into the Octagon against one of AKA's finest, or is it just Fitch's frustration at Hughes trying to leapfrog the line to get into a title opportunity?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Miss Foxy

How dare them... It's on ... I hope Bj gets Fitch so bloody they will need dental records to identify him...
Old 01-26-2011, 04:37 PM
rearnakedchoke

i am laughing at swick talking this crap ... why would matt give that idiot a fight like that ... LOL .. reminds me of that line in Young Guns "I'll make ya famous" LOL

i hope BJ wins not only to shut these fools up, but Dana will make Fitch v. Kos and then we'll see what these babies have to say ...
Old 01-26-2011, 04:43 PM

I don't know about everyone else but I think Matt should fight Koschek and Fitch. Maybe in hes next fight he could fight Koscheck. I dont agree with everything they said but I do agree that Matt should fight those top guys.
I rather see Matt fight this Bozos than Hallman that's for sure.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 PM
rearnakedchoke

If Matt is making a title run, he is going to have to go through one of those two morons ... but he's been champ, he's done it all ... they need this fight more than he needs it ... matt didn't go looking for the fight with royce and renzo, dana came to him with the fights ... these guys are looking to put a name on their record ... if fitch was such a badass, he would've taken the matt fight on four weeks notice, got thumped and knocked down the hill .. he turned it down like a pussy ..
Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

those articles are almost 2 years old.

I would like to see Swick and Matt go at it.. if only to see Matt make Swick famous.. a famous splat on the matts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i am laughing at swick talking this crap ... why would matt give that idiot a fight like that ... LOL .. reminds me of that line in Young Guns "I'll make ya famous" LOL
i hope BJ wins not only to shut these fools up, but Dana will make Fitch v. Kos and then we'll see what these babies have to say ...

+1!!!!

Matt and Koz??? That would be a good fight...a real war.. but Matt has earned the right to pick whatever fights he wants.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
rearnakedchoke

yeah, i know they are old ... i was posting for fox as she didn't know those chumps said all this ... i know she probably believed me, but i posted for proof ... LOL