Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default The Kings Speech

Its a British Film, about an Historical occasion...so I dont know if it will appear in the United States or not...but the audience tonight loved it so much, that during the credits there was spontaneous applause.

In Brief, its about King George 6th (the Father of the Present Queen) He was rushed to the throne when his Father Died, and his Brother who succeed, decided to abdicate. To make matters worse...the year was 1939...within months of War against Germany.

...ohh and another thing...Albert (he used one of his middle names as King so that he didnt sound too Germanic) known effectionately as "Bertie" couldnt speak properly...he had a terrible stamma...so the Film focuses on sometimes funny, sometimes heartbreaking moments during which he works up to giving his first major speech (with the bizzare speech therapist)...which is to announce War against Adolt Hitler.

The film of course ends after he gives the speech which was given out to near perfection...it caused a real reaction from a POST WAR PARLIAMENTARIAN viewership...so moved to applause at the end of the film. which is most unusual in this country...particularly as a reaction to anything Royalist
Old 01-18-2011, 12:36 AM

I can't WAIT to see it, I love this era in British history, Dave. I so admired the Queen Mum for her bravery during WWII.

We are going to see it in the theater, another friend highly recommended it as well and I love the cast.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 AM

Colin Firth.

*swoon*
Old 01-20-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Colin Firth.

*swoon*
Flo, I think ol' Colin would think that your amygdala is too large.

Quote:
The data are in. The science has spoken. The proof is conclusive: Conservatives are cowards.
No, really. We learned this fact from Prof. Geraint Rees of the University College London, who says that after studying the brain scans of two politicians and 90 students, he stands confident in declaring that in conservative minds the brainís amygdala, which is associated with anxiety and emotion, tends to be larger, whereas the anterior cingulate, which is associated with courage and optimism, tends to be smaller.
So conservatives are ó bwock-bwock-bwock! ó chicken. Wussies. Namby pambies and nervous Nellies, every one of us.

Well said, Prof. Rees! Iím not going to look at the details of this definitive study ó there arenít any, because it hasnít been published yet ó which was commissioned by the actor Colin Firth, who was serving as the guest host of a radio program. Iím not going to ask whether 92 people is an adequate sample size (90 students and post-docs in London? How many were conservative by American standards? Six?) or how you account for the fact that peopleís political views change, sometimes from one election cycle to the next. (When I was a student and ardent Democrat, was my amygdala slimmer? Did Americaís centrist voters reconstruct their brains in the last couple of years?)
Iím just relieved to finally have a real, honest, scientific answer to something thatís been nagging at me.
Rees has the answer to why, in my Army career, I kept running into so many conceptual performance artists from San Francisco and Chelsea. Seldom did I do a push-up or clean my M16 without finding myself amid heated debate from the officer class about whether Walter Mondale or Eugene McCarthy was the most inspiring American political leader of our era. And those drill sergeants! You know what gave them that indomitable sense of authority? Their Boston accents.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...#ixzz1BYeGcLmj
Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 PM

At first I thought I was reading something from The Onion. Oh my goodness, Colin is a loony lefty! Well, so is 98% of the actor's guild...at least publicly.

What a funny article, it's like they will reach for anything to discredit conservatism. Cowards, eh? Wonder what The Duke, Ted Nugent or Chuck Norris would say about that...
Old 01-20-2011, 05:52 PM

That sampling is hilarious, I will have to steal the article and share it elsewhere. Thanks, PTM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I can't WAIT to see it, I love this era in British history, Dave. I so admired the Queen Mum for her bravery during WWII.

We are going to see it in the theater, another friend highly recommended it as well and I love the cast.
So do I.. I truly love anything British!! My next child will be British and so will my future hubby...

Last edited by Miss Foxy; 01-20-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

oh...your welcome to all things British...outside of the Royal Family...I perfer American

Flo...you must tell me what you think of it...I took my Nan to see it (she was actually alive at the time it took place!)

and incase you havent seen her yet...there is a short video of her LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rghM6Yo8aJM