Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Miss Foxy

Default Marquardt vs Akiyama

http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs...iyama-official
UFC Middleweights Nate "The Great" Marquardt and Yoshihiro Akiyama will now officially meet at UFC 128: Shogun vs. Evans.

The UFC officially announced the previously reported middleweight bout for the main card of the event.

As reported on BJPENN.COM, UFC 128: Shogun vs. Evans is set to go down on March 19th at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.

Originally, Akiyama was scheduled to face Chael Sonnen at UFC 128 until Sonnen was suspended by the UFC after he pled guilty to money laundering charges.

Marquardt lost his last bout to Yushin Okami via unanimous decision at UFC 122: Marquardt vs. Okami on November 13, 2010, which guaranteed the winner of the bout a shot at the UFC Middleweight Title. The Great" came into that fight with a TKO win over Rousimar Palhares at UFC Fight Night 22: Marquardt vs. Palhares on September 15, 2010. The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, Marquardt, was awarded Knockout of the Night honors with his 21-second knockout win over Damien Maia at UFC 102: Couture vs. Nogueira on August 29, 2009. Marquardt would win another bonus as he won Fight of the Night honors, though in a losing effort, in his bout against Chael Sonnen at UFC 109: Relentless on February 6, 2010. The Jackson's Submission Fighting fighter, Marquardt, has won four of his last six bouts.

After suffering back-to-back losses to Chris Leben at UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin, and Michael Bisping at UFC 120: Bisping vs. Akiyama, the K-1 veteran, Akiyama, is in need of a win. Akiyama rolled off three straight wins, including victories over Katsuyori Shibata at DREAM 5: Lightweight Grand Prix Finals, Masanori Tonooka at DREAM 6: Middleweight Grand Prix Finals, and Alan Belcher at UFC 100, before his recent setback. The judo black belt, Akiyama, has been awarded Fight of the Night honors in all three of his UFC bouts.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Miss Foxy

Nate M likes to get beat down on my birthday weekends.. Last year Chael put the hurt on him..
Old 01-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Sexyama!

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 PM
rearnakedchoke

i hope sexyama brings it and gets the win, but i don't think he is on the level of the ufc fighters ...
Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i hope sexyama brings it and gets the win, but i don't think he is on the level of the ufc fighters ...
Seems that way for many of the Asian fighters brought into the UFC. I'm not sure why? Sexyama, Gomi, Ryo Chonan, etc. There was another specific Asian fighter I'm thinking of that did great I think in Pride...and then was cut from UFC. Can't think of the name off the top of my head. Searching around now.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Still think Sexyama should drop a weight class, but man can he take a beating! I like both him and Marquardt but I'm pulling for Sexyama on this one.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 PM

Should be a great fight.

I hope Sexyama gets a win because he brings it and I do think he has been a little unlucky in some of the fights.

Mind you I am a fan of Nate as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
Seems that way for many of the Asian fighters brought into the UFC. I'm not sure why? Sexyama, Gomi, Ryo Chonan, etc. There was another specific Asian fighter I'm thinking of that did great I think in Pride...and then was cut from UFC. Can't think of the name off the top of my head. Searching around now.
Theres okami and lyoto machida is half japanese..... Most of the japanese or korean fighters know nothing about weight cutting which is there huge problem...

Caol uno might be the fighter your thinking of?
Old 01-16-2011, 05:49 PM
hughesfan4life

"war nate!".
Old 01-16-2011, 06:23 PM
sasquatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
Theres okami and lyoto machida is half japanese..... Most of the japanese or korean fighters know nothing about weight cutting which is there huge problem...

Caol uno might be the fighter your thinking of?
Is that partly why they lose a lot you think? I've always wondered why they always get crushed when they come to the UFC.... Okami does good though.