Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-13-2011, 04:14 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo
Thanks for posting this, rockdawg; interesting stats. UFC came real close to topping the boxing matches. I didn't realize the heavyweights so outsold the rest of the weight classes.
No problem, I always enjoy seeing the yearly review of PPV. Everybody always says "boxing is dying". Well, it'll be interesting to see what happens if/when Mayweather & Pac actually retire. I don't see who's going to be the next big PPV cash cow for boxing after they're gone. There's a lot of talent out there, but nobody really compares to these two. It's up to the press to name somebody, but even they say the same thing.

It's an interesting trend because it used to be the lightweights who grabbed the biggest PPV numbers for the UFC, but it's flip-flopped completely.

I would love to see GSP/Silva. Although people call both of them "boring", I think it would do more buys than UFC 100 (more than 1.6 million buys).
Old 01-13-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
You're right, having two in the top 5 with 1,000,000+ would have been better. Maybe he'll make it this year.
The only fighter that gets bigger ppv buys does it from crossover pro wrestling fans
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Everybody always says "boxing is dying". Well, it'll be interesting to see what happens if/when Mayweather & Pac actually retire. I don't see who's going to be the next big PPV cash cow for boxing after they're gone. There's a lot of talent out there, but nobody really compares to these two. It's up to the press to name somebody, but even they say the same thing.
The press says that after every boxer who gains mainstream popularity retires from the sport, yet there is always another star that emerges. That's been going on for decades.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
The press says that after every boxer who gains mainstream popularity retires from the sport, yet there is always another star that emerges. That's been going on for decades.
Yeah, that's a good point, but with the rapid emergence of MMA/UFC, it brings in a new factor to the equation. We'll see what happens.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Yeah, that's a good point, but with the rapid emergence of MMA/UFC, it brings in a new factor to the equation. We'll see what happens.
Kickboxing was supposed to kill boxing in the 80's too.

I don't really think MMA's popularity hurts boxing at all. I actually think it helps boost interest in the sport by bringing in crossover fans. Basically, Boxing and MMA have their hardcore fanbases that will always be there and then the casual fans will always tune in as long a fight is hyped up enough.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
Wow .. GSP is sooo boring ... only two of his fights in 2010 were in the top 10 PPV buys ..
yeah but its customary to buy before one watches...maybe they didnt realize he would be so boring before watching
Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Kickboxing was supposed to kill boxing in the 80's too.

I don't really think MMA's popularity hurts boxing at all. I actually think it helps boost interest in the sport by bringing in crossover fans. Basically, Boxing and MMA have their hardcore fanbases that will always be there and then the casual fans will always tune in as long a fight is hyped up enough.
Yeah, I'll always watch boxing if the match is good. I'm surprised to see that the Alexander/Bradley fight is so lackluster, especially considering they are both champions and are both undefeated with the winner getting Amir Khan. According to an article by Michael Marley (yeah, I know he's a kook, but he knows people), only 339 tickets have been sold!

There will be plenty of good fights, but I don't think kickboxing in the 80s was breaking PPV records like the UFC is doing right now. I'd say you're right about the crossover though. It's funny to see the debate still going. I even found a debate of Johnny (original Karate Kid) vs. Ryan (Never Back Down) on imdb.com, lol
Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
yeah but its customary to buy before one watches...maybe they didnt realize he would be so boring before watching
I tend to feel that way about Anderson Silva. He was disappointing, then I was curious to see if he would fight, so I bought, then got disappointed. After Chael, no disappointment. I'm thinking his fight with Belfort will be a disappointment as well. He needs an aggressor to make the fight interesting and I think Belfort will be timid.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
I tend to feel that way about Anderson Silva. He was disappointing, then I was curious to see if he would fight, so I bought, then got disappointed. After Chael, no disappointment. I'm thinking his fight with Belfort will be a disappointment as well. He needs an aggressor to make the fight interesting and I think Belfort will be timid.
I think the samet way about this bout.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
big names draw money through expectation...NOT realization...by the time the names have performed...regardless of how that performance was...the money has gone.

So PPV sales are not a direct evaluation of customer satisfaction. be it GSP or Anderson Silva...