Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I know, right? And you can sing! Talent, brains, and a working knowledge of the NYC subway system.....what a guy!

~Amy

Have I ever told you that you're my favorite forum member.

[
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Bad time of year for ankle injuries I guess. My mom rolled hers the day after Christmas. It was snowing and she decided to sweep off her step. Twisted her ankle and fell coming back inside. She's just now getting around again.

Hope your daughter is feeling better. Strengthening ankles and wrists is a tough job. There's very little muscle in those areas so you can't just build them up like you can other parts of the body. It's almost something you're either born with or not. I'm cursed with skinny wrists. Makes heavy lifting hard sometimes. My wrists wear out before the muscles do.
Me too buddy, I'm amazed I've never broken my wrist.

[
Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Twinsmama

i sprained my ankle very badly playing sports when i was a teenager. i used ice for the first few days and then heat like everyone is saying. i wore one of those ace bandage supports that you slide on. i wore it for the rest of the season and maybe even part of the next. i only wore it during games and practice though not all the time. i remember it took a long time before it felt normal. i hope she starts feeling better. ankles are soooo important for dancers.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 PM
DonnaMaria

Thanks for the advice guys! We have an appointment with foot doc next week and in the meantime we will continue with the treatments you suggested. I kept her home another day because we got some snow here and I didn't want her on crutches in the wet mess.

She is determined to dance point, so we are going to try everything to help the ankle get stronger. But you are right Mike. Her ballet teacher already said that point just might not be something that her body can do.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
Thanks for the advice guys! We have an appointment with foot doc next week and in the meantime we will continue with the treatments you suggested. I kept her home another day because we got some snow here and I didn't want her on crutches in the wet mess.

She is determined to dance point, so we are going to try everything to help the ankle get stronger. But you are right Mike. Her ballet teacher already said that point just might not be something that her body can do.
Don't ever let anyone tell you or try to discourage her from her dreams. If she wants it she will accomplish it..
Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post

get some resistance bands for when she starts rehabbing it. that will help her build her point.

[
Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Blade

http://sportsclubdirect.com.au/image...le%20Board.jpg

When the swelling has gone down and bruising disappeared, buy her a wobble board. They're not expensive and they are very effective. The body has tiny sensory nerves called proprioceptors. These proprioceptors sense where parts of the body are. If you have ever started to twist your ankle and it has automatically righted itself then this will be the proprioceptors working efficiently. If a person sustains an injury to the lower leg then the proprioception of the leg can also be damaged. This will mean a possible chronic weakness developing and therefore an increased risk of re-injury, as seems to be the case here. Just a few minutes balancing on the board each day can help strengthen both ankles, restore damaged proprioception and prevent injury.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:35 AM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
get some resistance bands for when she starts rehabbing it. that will help her build her point.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:40 AM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
http://sportsclubdirect.com.au/image...le%20Board.jpg

When the swelling has gone down and bruising disappeared, buy her a wobble board. They're not expensive and they are very effective. The body has tiny sensory nerves called proprioceptors. These proprioceptors sense where parts of the body are. If you have ever started to twist your ankle and it has automatically righted itself then this will be the proprioceptors working efficiently. If a person sustains an injury to the lower leg then the proprioception of the leg can also be damaged. This will mean a possible chronic weakness developing and therefore an increased risk of re-injury, as seems to be the case here. Just a few minutes balancing on the board each day can help strengthen both ankles, restore damaged proprioception and prevent injury.
Thank you! That makes perfect sense! I will definately get her one!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:42 AM
DonnaMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Don't ever let anyone tell you or try to discourage her from her dreams. If she wants it she will accomplish it..
I will definately tell her that you are pulling for her! She is a bit discouraged right now but trying to stay optomistic! She went to the studio and watched her classes even though she couldn't participate. During tap class she practiced the steps with her hands on the bench she was sitting on.........pounding out the beat.