Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Unhappy Bum Knee :(

I have been told several times by the medical profession that I have an extremely high painthreshold...so bear that in mind. I have spent eighteen hours this week walking through forrest terrain, in six hour blocks over three days. On the third day, yesterday, I put my foot into some ankle deep mud whilst trying to cross a tributary, and I had to yank my leg up to get it out. Thats how I hurt my knee.

Now when sitting down there is no pain at all, there is no bruising, it is not tender to the touch, but it is eversoslightly swollen on the inward side of my left knee joint...in the crack near the knee cap that appears only when you straighten your leg. Now when standing it is a constant dull ache...not a sharp pain, and not a throbbing pain either. Today with very little walking it has got neither better nor worse.

If I walk slowly I am fine, but walking at my normal pace causes a slight but noticable limp, the only time it hurts more then usual would be when going up or down steps. I tried the cycle at the gym and found that I could go full speed and at length without anything more then the dull ache..the same with rowing...but the treadmill I could only manage flat (I usually like an incline) and I cant manage it at length...the cross trainer is hopeless, I cant do it.

So I spent an hour or so trying out to see what I could and could not do. Tommorow I shall go in for an appointment to talk to my gym instructor to see what he says, and in the afternoon we shall find if the weeks walking has equaled the usual weeks gym in terms of weight loss.

I intend to make the following suggestion to him. That I do nothing over the weekend to see if the knee will just recover and try again on Monday at the gym. If im alright by then, fabulous. However, if I still cant manage the cross trainer or the treadmill at incline, and if, and only if, the walking has paid off with weight loss...then I shall suggest that I take next week off entirely from the gym, and simply do the planned woodland walking...being careful not to make the knee worse (I dont see why I should wait more then three days for it to get better...I only have one more week of work...and I will go and explore the gorge whether the knee has got better or not.

Now if I get to the following monday...and I have been off from the gym a whole week, and I have done short woodland walks and the knee is no better....then I will make a doctors appointment...coz to have knee problems for a week and a half is riddiculous...but I shall also be returning to the gym, and I shall be going onwards, whether the knee has healed or not...I dont care about the pain, and the doctors will, I'm sure be able to tell me if its serious or not...but I suspect its not...if it was that bad...like when I twisted my ankle in London...I wouldnt physically be ABLE to walk (I hasnt to add...it wasnt due to pain that I couldnt walk...it was because I couldnt get my ankle to go where I wanted it to go...it was the most bizzare and frustrating week I had in London outside of breaking my fingers LOL)
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Miss Foxy

Tyburn!! What on earth were you doing in the forest? Reminds me of this one of my most favorite songs!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZwVgQ4Wq7E
I hope you feel better and your knee heals!!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Tyburn!! What on earth were you doing in the forest? Reminds me of this one of my most favorite songs!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZwVgQ4Wq7E
I hope you feel better and your knee heals!!
Mapping it

If you go to the woodshed...then look in the thread I started called "To The Ends Of The Earth" all the links to the videos I made whilst out at the crags are there...but be warned...there are MANY videos...

I might suggest...hmmm...maybe the last link from Bankside...or maybe the first link from New Forrest...that should give you an idea of EXACTLY what I was doing in the forrest. One of the links under New Forrest includes the video "Dead Wood To Impasse" where I even show you the site of where I injured my knee
Old 03-04-2011, 09:59 PM

RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.
Take Ibuprofen
Get an appointment with a Sports Medicine Physician. We were told for a year by the liberals that Britain has the best medical system. I'm sure they will get you in right away and give you the highest quality care.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Dave, rest it all weekend. Ice it for the swelling for the next 24 hours and then switch to heat. I know you don't care about the pain but you do not want to screw your knee up to the point of needing surgery.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.
Take Ibuprofen
Get an appointment with a Sports Medicine Physician. We were told for a year by the liberals that Britain has the best medical system. I'm sure they will get you in right away and give you the highest quality care.
Define Rest

I dont have a freezer...sooo how can I get any ice

Compression

It hurts the most when I streighten it...when I'm sitting and its bent it doesnt hurt

The NHS is overworked and underpaid...and at serious threat right now to some serious alterations...all to do with spending cuts from the Government...however...my gym instructor happens to be a registered and qualified person on nutrition and body bits He will know what is wrong...the doctor will probably say I have to rest it for a month and only come back if it hasnt cleared up...well I have to go up two flights of stairs to get to my home...and my bathroom is three steps down from my bedroom...I cant avoid steps...I aint about to be housebound and pee out the window
Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Dave, rest it all weekend. Ice it for the swelling for the next 24 hours and then switch to heat. I know you don't care about the pain but you do not want to screw your knee up to the point of needing surgery.

~Amy
its not massively swollen...but it is generating heat if I touch it, it feels like...unnaturally warm

You have to understand, I am enourmous...those legs are heavy duty weight bearing pillars... but without exercise I shall never loose weight...Well...my gym instructor will know what to do...I hope
Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Blade

Just get a bag of frozen peas and ice it for 15-20 mins at a time, a few times a day, for a couple of days and it will be fine. Stop being a wuss.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

it feels much better today. I can walk full speed without a limp...its only stairs that hurt now...another day and I suspect that the knee will be back to better.

On another note...the forrest walking I did paid off...I lost another 3lbs thats 17lbs in five weeks....I hope to loose three more this week and make it 20lbs in six weeks between the end of January and my Birthday in early March.

Very pleased with myself
Old 03-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Just get a bag of frozen peas and ice it for 15-20 mins at a time, a few times a day, for a couple of days and it will be fine. Stop being a wuss.
soooo...I waste my money on a bag of frozen peas I cant keep frozen coz I dont have a freezer...and then what...eat them

I did absolutely nothing to the knee...it seems to be healing on its own