Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:58 PM
DonnaMaria
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Help for ankle injury please

Long story short........

My 14 year old fell off our porch last September and sprained her ankle badly but didn't break it. We had X rays done and they didn't find anything broken. But she is a very slim girl with tiny ankles and her injured one was the size of a softball for about two weeks. We iced it and she used crutches and a brace for a while.

She worked back up to dancing 4 times a week with some pain and limited movement but we seemed to be on the right track.

Then last night after dance she rolled on the same ankle and heard a pop and immediately the ankle swelled up to softball size again. We are icing it and she has it up but is there anything else we can do for it? Our doctor said to just ice it and give her Advil but is there anything else?

Obviously I should take her to a specialist, right?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMaria View Post
Long story short........

My 14 year old fell off our porch last September and sprained her ankle badly but didn't break it. We had X rays done and they didn't find anything broken. But she is a very slim girl with tiny ankles and her injured one was the size of a softball for about two weeks. We iced it and she used crutches and a brace for a while.

She worked back up to dancing 4 times a week with some pain and limited movement but we seemed to be on the right track.

Then last night after dance she rolled on the same ankle and heard a pop and immediately the ankle swelled up to softball size again. We are icing it and she has it up but is there anything else we can do for it? Our doctor said to just ice it and give her Advil but is there anything else?

Obviously I should take her to a specialist, right?
alternate heat and cold (is what I always did)
5 minutes in ice bath
5 in warm water
The expanding and restricting of the blood vessels should aid in the repair.
if she's tiny then any swelling is going to appear larger than it would on someone of larger build.

My two cents if it persists I can ask my Muay Thai teacher who is a sports medicine rehab specialist.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 PM
DonnaMaria
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
alternate heat and cold (is what I always did)
5 minutes in ice bath
5 in warm water
The expanding and restricting of the blood vessels should aid in the repair.
if she's tiny then any swelling is going to appear larger than it would on someone of larger build.

My two cents if it persists I can ask my Muay Thai teacher who is a sports medicine rehab specialist.

I never thought of that but it makes complete sense. that actually makes me feel a bit better! Thanks!

I really appreciate the advice and I'll take ANY that you can give! If you wouldn't mind speaking to your teacher about it, I would be grateful for the help!

She is starting point classes next year, but she will never make it if we don't make her ankle stronger......... Her ballet teacher is not sure if she will be able to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

My mom just rolled her ankle a couple of days ago and went to a specialist because she broke that ankle a few years ago and had all kinds of surgery on it. Specialists advice was the same as mine:

Ice for the first 2 days then heat. Wrap it in a good ace bandage tight enough for support but don't cut the circulation off. Rest it and prop it up and take ibuprofen (advil) to help with pain and inflammation. It will be a little weaker at first due to the injury so she should wear a brace while she dances or does any physical activity.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
My mom just rolled her ankle a couple of days ago and went to a specialist because she broke that ankle a few years ago and had all kinds of surgery on it. Specialists advice was the same as mine:

Ice for the first 2 days then heat. Wrap it in a good ace bandage tight enough for support but don't cut the circulation off. Rest it and prop it up and take ibuprofen (advil) to help with pain and inflammation. It will be a little weaker at first due to the injury so she should wear a brace while she dances or does any physical activity.


~Amy
well I guess you could listen to the specialist and TexasRN...
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

A chiropractor would be good.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
well I guess you could listen to the specialist and TexasRN...

It's the same advice you gave. I guess maybe you know a little something, too.


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 6,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
It's the same advice you gave. I guess maybe you know a little something, too.


~Amy

who knew?
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post

who knew?
I know, right? And you can sing! Talent, brains, and a working knowledge of the NYC subway system.....what a guy!


~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Bad time of year for ankle injuries I guess. My mom rolled hers the day after Christmas. It was snowing and she decided to sweep off her step. Twisted her ankle and fell coming back inside. She's just now getting around again.

Hope your daughter is feeling better. Strengthening ankles and wrists is a tough job. There's very little muscle in those areas so you can't just build them up like you can other parts of the body. It's almost something you're either born with or not. I'm cursed with skinny wrists. Makes heavy lifting hard sometimes. My wrists wear out before the muscles do.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.