Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
But for the record any comparison to Tim is absurd at best. Tim is/was a joke in the ring and to quote Dave he was a belt holder, not a champion.
Good point and fair statement.

P.S. I honestly thought, after reading the thread title, that this was about your retirment.

Later.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
que

I have to disagree with Chuck. Chuck you are completely wrong.

you said Sylvia is a "complete joke in the ring" and that is complete bullsh** and you know it brotha. in fact it is just ridiculous to say that. i cannot imagine why you would try to slander him with such false words. the only thing i can possibly come up with, is the fact that you didn't like it when someone compared GSP to sylvia, so therefore you try to make sylvia to be worse than he actually was in attempt to negate any similarities between him and GSP.

the fact is that tim sylvia was not a complete joke in the ring at all.

he has one of the best records for finishes in all of MMA. tim sylvia is 28-6 and has only gone to 6 decision wins in his whole life. he has a finishing rate of 79% which is one of the highest for any MMA fighter ever.

so please stop with the ridiculous words about sylvia.

as for comparing him to GSP at all... they are definitely similar in the fact that they both have been known to fight not to lose.

tim sylvia was criticized alot in his latter UFC decision fights for fighting not to lose.

GSP has also been criticized for the same thing.

in fact GSP's finishing rate is much worse than tim sylvia's at 62% compared to sylvia's 79%... and GSP has fought "not to lose" even more than sylvia ever has in the past.

while sylvia did in fact "fight not to lose" many times, GSP makes sylvia look like childsplay when it comes to doing that. GSP is fighting by the points much much more, and much more frequently and more often. that is a cold hard fact and anyone who has watched all of GSP's fights and accurately understands the game of MMA can see this fact more clearly than stevie wonder in a dust storm in afganistan.

the sad thing to me, is the fact that GSP USE to be a finisher, an exciting fighter, and someone who at least tried for the finish. something happened to him when he tapped to strikes from matt serra and now he fights completely differently. the difference is almost astounding if you really think about it. to go from a fighter who tried to finish fights... to a fighter who tries to do the COMPLETE OPPOSITE is astounding. to make such a complete 180* turnaround is almost unheard of in today's MMA scene. usually, a fighter who tries to finish fights will ALWAYS be a fighter who tries to finish fights. very rarely do we see a fighter who does what GSP has done.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:39 PM

Good post, spot on, IMO.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
the sad thing to me, is the fact that GSP USE to be a finisher, an exciting fighter, and someone who at least tried for the finish. something happened to him when he tapped to strikes from matt serra and now he fights completely differently. the difference is almost astounding if you really think about it. to go from a fighter who tried to finish fights... to a fighter who tries to do the COMPLETE OPPOSITE is astounding. to make such a complete 180* turnaround is almost unheard of in today's MMA scene. usually, a fighter who tries to finish fights will ALWAYS be a fighter who tries to finish fights. very rarely do we see a fighter who does what GSP has done.
I give you your due diligence for the stats that you provided regarding the Sylvia and GSP.....but I still think they're on two totally different levels as fighters. Regardless of what everyone thinks, GSP will go down as one of the greatest WW fighters ever, while Sylvia's legacy at HW is not going to be as good....thanks, in part, to Ray Mercer.

With that said, I don't know what point it was in GSPs fighting that changed him (from being an exciting finisher to 'fighting to not lose'). But since his loss to Serra, he's actually finished two of the eight fights (one against Matt Hughes by armbar and the other against Matt Serra by some violent knees). To top it all off, BJ Penn quit. You can say what you want about the grease, but Penn quit plain and simple.

Later.

Last edited by billwilliams70; 01-06-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
LOL.... Ouch!!!

Excellent point!! You know the truth only hurts when it's supposed to!!

But for the record any comparison to Tim is absurd at best. Tim is/was a joke in the ring and to quote Dave he was a belt holder, not a champion.
And you've been an unabashed Tim-hater since the beginning, so I wouldn't expect you to agree.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
And you've been an unabashed Tim-hater since the beginning, so I wouldn't expect you to agree.
Excellent point!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Some people have been bringing up the fact that GSP finished Matt twice (while also ignoring the fact that Matt finished GSP once, as well) as if that is somehow relevant to this discussion; but I donít believe thatís the point being made here. I've been deleting those comments because they are only posted out of disrespect towards Matt.

However, if the GSP who defeated Matt would have showed up to fight Koscheck on December 11th, then I think Matt would have been more than happy to watch that fight and give GSP the respect he deserved. However, that GSP has been missing for the last 2 years. So I think Mattís words are more out of frustration than anything else, because he knows that GSP is capable of doing better, but he is simply not living up to that potential.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Some people have been bringing up the fact that GSP finished Matt twice (while also ignoring the fact that Matt finished GSP once, as well) as if that is somehow relevant to this discussion; but I donít believe thatís the point being made here. I've been deleting those comments because they are only posted out of disrespect towards Matt.

However, if the GSP who defeated Matt would have showed up to fight Koscheck on December 11th, then I think Matt would have been more than happy to watch that fight and give GSP the respect he deserved. However, that GSP has been missing for the last 2 years. So I think Mattís words are more out of frustration than anything else, because he knows that GSP is capable of doing better, but he is simply not living up to that potential.

agreed
Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I just want to say.........

I love me some Matt Hughes! And love to watch him compete. When he is going to fight, you know almost without a doubt that fight will be finished! You also know there is potential for something big to happen. Matt may pay the price with a loss but he is going to make the other man in that cage actually fight. You know that when Matt fights there will be the potential for a all time favorite highlight reel or a split second mistake that turns the whole fight around. Good or bad, you are going to see a fight where anything can happen!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
I just want to say.........

I love me some Matt Hughes! And love to watch him compete. When he is going to fight, you know almost without a doubt that fight will be finished! You also know there is potential for something big to happen. Matt may pay the price with a loss but he is going to make the other man in that cage actually fight. You know that when Matt fights there will be the potential for a all time favorite highlight reel or a split second mistake that turns the whole fight around. Good or bad, you are going to see a fight where anything can happen!
Bravo! Well said!