Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Default BLOG: Chuck's Retirement

From Matt's Blog:

Quote:
First of all, congratulations Chuck Liddell on your career and also on your new position as the UFC's Executive Vice President of Business Development.

If any of you guys have never seen this, well here's a great interview of Chuck and is probably what prompted the UFC to promote Chuck to his current role:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xwYOFIWlg8

Chuck and his brother Dan have always teased me about being in Flaunt magazine years ago and they were also trying to say that I was part of Brokeback Mountain. So nobody should say anything about me taking a couple of shots at Chuck all in good fun.

Well, I haven't talked to you guys since the GSP fight so I'm going to say this, even though I'm going to piss a bunch of people off. To me the GSP fight was boring and I'm even going to tell you why I think it was boring: because I believe GSP is on defense. Number one, he doesn't want to lose the belt and, number two, I think the UFC is paying him too much money and he doesn't want to lose that either. I don't know what's going on in his mind; but he just doesn't seem like he wants to finish anybody.

I did not watch the Edgar/Maynard fight, but I did hear that it was pretty interesting. For a 5-round fight to end up as a draw is pretty unusual by itself, so I will be looking forward to the rematch.

I hope eveyrbody had a great holiday season, I know I did. I was even able to keep my wife out on New Years until about 2:30 AM.

Tater (Katelyn) turned one-year old on January 2nd, so here is a recent picture of the birthday girl:

And here is the Bible verse for this week:
Quote:
May all that search for You be filled with joy and gladness in You. May those who love Your salvation repeatedly shout, "The LORD is great!" (Psalm 40:16)
-matt
Old 01-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Miss Foxy

I love how Matt Hughes will always speak his mind and I am so glad I agree!!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:15 PM

Happy New Year Matt!
Happy Birthday to Katelyn too!
I agree with you about the GSP fight. I think it will probably piss some people off, indeed. At least you're honest.

[
Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 PM

Don't worry, you're not going to piss me off 'cause I don't care for the guy anyway. Although I normally do find his fights boring, this one was a little better probably because he stayed on his feet. I'm not a Koscheck fan, but I was hoping he would back up some of that yakity yak, but, alas, he was a sore disappointment to me I tell ya!

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY KATELYN!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:50 PM
bradwright

that statement doesn't piss me off at all....but you gotta hand it to the guy though...he just keeps on winning.

any way Happy New Year to you and yours Matt ! ! !
Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
that statement doesn't piss me off at all....but you gotta hand it to the guy though...he just keeps on winning.

any way Happy New Year to you and yours Matt ! ! !
He might be winning, but he's not fighting to win. He's simply fighting not to lose. Thus, I don't see why people praise him for that.

As I recall, Tim Sylvia fought with a similar strategy when he was the UFC Heavyweight Champion and everyone seemed to hate him for it. So it's kind of a double standard.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
From Matt's Blog:

If any of you guys have never seen this, well here's a great interview of Chuck and is probably what prompted the UFC to promote Chuck to his current role:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xwYOFIWlg8

Chuck and his brother Dan have always teased me about being in Flaunt magazine years ago and they were also trying to say that I was part of Brokeback Mountain. So nobody should say anything about me taking a couple of shots at Chuck all in good fun.

Brokeback Mountain, indeed! That movie totally ruined the image of cowboys out on the range for me forever! You're right, he deserved it!

I thought the host did a good job considering... Loved the, "May the force be with you, Chuck."

Last edited by Bonnie; 01-06-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 AM

well most of the time i agree with matt, but i still believe it is not the champs job to make it exciting

you have to beat the champ, the champ don't have to beat the challenger

the champ has nothing to prove, he just has to not be beat

sad but true

seems to me the challengers are the ones lacking hunger, heart and agression

say what you will chael took it to silva, and that is what a challenger is supposed to do

having said that, i so wish someone would please beat georges, and i wish even more it was matt

but as much as i can't stand bj, i would love to see him fight georges, because he is about the only one other than matt that i can think of that can out maneveur georges right now, unless randy wants to drop to welterweight

bj is hungry enough he would be semi agressive and he is experienced and naturally talented enough he might do it

who else is there?? fitch? seriously? shields? jake has a ground game, but not nearly like strikeforces hype machine has built it up to be, jake just manages to pull something out of his keister when he needs it, but pretty soon his supply of wins is gonna run out and when he needs one he ain't gonna have it.

who else? i look through the roster and there are only two names that even remotely stand out--- brian foster and rumble johnson, i can't stand rumble but if someone managed to contain the kid with a good plan he might do it, but he is still young, as is brian, and no doubt matt and fiore would help brian with a good plan, i don't think brian is quite agressive enough or experienced enough

oh and there is amir, i don't know what to say about amir, but he can win and you just can't count him out, but again, he ain't got the gusto to go out there and win

fact of the matter is, when playing king of the hill, or king of the mountain, or whatever you want to call it, the guy at the top of the hill only has to keep the peak, it's everyone else's job to knock him off, however disadvantaged they may be, it ain't his job to come down from the peak and fight it out, however entertaining that may be

everything matt said is true gsp is defending his title and raking in the moola

i think gsp would admit to it i think gsp would have loved to finish the fight , and i really think he would have fought different if he wasn't the champ, but he ain't gonna take any unnecessary risks

best case scenario..... shields gets hurt and matt is ready to fight on short notice

it'd be a heckuva fight.... the propaganda would be "gsp is poised to break the record of title defenses, the only thing standing in the way? the current record holder"

it'd be sweet, and super cool, poetic even
Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
He might be winning, but he's not fighting to win. He's simply fighting not to lose. Thus, I don't see why people praise him for that.

As I recall, Tim Sylvia fought with a similar strategy when he was the UFC Heavyweight Champion and everyone seemed to hate him for it. So it's kind of a double standard.

you're usually more fair with your assessments than this, even when you're biased

yeah everyone hated tim, but i still defended him, so the double standard is to not defend gsp now

also, it's not fair to say people are praising georges right now, there are more people upset than praising him, besides , my point is -yeah gsp is boring, but he can only be as boring as the guy he is fighting lets him be, i am still way more disappointed in kos than gsp.... hopefully shields will have a little more pizazz than kos, kos was just defending too..... sad fact is most of mma is defense fighting anymore

three or four fights ago people were calling matt boring for the same reasons

and if matt fought gsp we all know he wouldn't go out swinging like an idiot, matt is a defensive fighter too, but if he was challenger he would know that he would have to beat gsp, matt is a methodical semi aggressive fighter that enjoys fighting in the fourth and fifth rounds, and people who take the fight to the latter rounds get called boring

maybe clay guida can fight at 170 again, he would lose but it would be exciting
Old 01-06-2011, 01:31 AM

Aww, so cute! Gosh, she's a year old already, how time flies.

I love getting the inside scoop about Matt & Chuck. Ditto Matt's take on the GSP fight. I think he's spot on.