Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Country Breakfast

Default As Expected, Baroni Is Gone

UFC releases Phil Baroni; "New York Bad Ass" already fielding new offers
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jan 04, 2011 at 8:30 am ET
Phil Baroni's second stint in the UFC is over.

The hard-hitting middleweight, who suffered a TKO loss to undefeated up-and-comer Brad Tavares at this past weekend's UFC 125 event, was subsequently released by the world's biggest MMA promotion.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the roster move with sources close to Baroni (13-13 MMA, 3-7 UFC). The 34-year-old's release was first reported by Versus.com.

The always-entertaining Baroni has already received offers from at least five different smaller organizations according to sources close to the "New York Bad Ass."

Baroni debuted for the UFC in February 2001. A former bodybuilder, Baroni earned a unanimous decision over Curtis Stout at UFC 30 before dropping a majority decision to Matt Lindland at UFC 34. The brash slugger bounced back with a TKO win over Amar Suloev at UFC 37 and then notched a career signature victory with an 18-second knockout of former UFC champion Dave Menne at UFC 39.

Baroni then dropped four-straight fights in the octagon and was released by the UFC.

The brash New Yorker then signed with the Japan-based PRIDE organization, where he went 4-2 in a six-fight run that included a memorable two-fight battle with Ikuhisa Minowa, as well as four stoppage wins.

After brief stops in the Strikeforce and EliteXC promotions, Baroni returned to the UFC in November 2009. The fan-favorite suffered back-to-back octagon losses to Amir Sadollah and Taveres before receiving his walking papers.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

poor Baroni

Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM
County Mike

That's a bunch of baroni.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:05 PM
cubsfan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
That's a bunch of baroni.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM

he was getting 25000 to lose, if he was pulling 1/2 that they might have kept him twice as long

i really didn't like young baroni, but i was pulling for phil lately, i hate to see him go and hope he keeps his class and doesn't trash dana and the ufc
Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
i really didn't like young baroni, but i was pulling for phil lately, i hate to see him go and hope he keeps his class and doesn't trash dana and the ufc

+1