Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Country Breakfast
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Edgar Vs Maynard 3 In The Works

UFC boss has change of heart, Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III up next
by John Morgan on Jan 02, 2011 at 3:20 am ET
LAS VEGAS Cheer up, Gray. You'll get another chance.

Fewer than two hours after UFC executive Craig Borsari informed the media at UFC 125's post-event press conference that Anthony Pettis would get the next crack at the UFC's lightweight belt, UFC president Dana White had a change of heart.

White informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the promotion instead will book Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III as soon as possible.

"We changed the plans," White told MMAjunkie.com. "After Craig made the announcement, I had a lot of people talking to me, and the reality is, Gray Maynard deserves that fight. We had planned on doing Anthony Pettis next, but Gray went in there and fought his ass off and deserves another chance.

"In the UFC, we do the right thing, and the right thing is to put on this rematch."

White first discussed the change of plans with Yahoo! Sports.

Maynard was absolutely dejected at the evening's post-event press conference, and his outlook worsened at Borsari's announcement.

"I worked my ass for this," Maynard said. "I guess it kind of hurts."

Edgar was nearly knocked out in the opening round of the main-event bout, which took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. After losing the round 10-8 on all three judges' scorecards, Edgar valiantly battled back for the remaining four frames.

The final four rounds were closely contested, and the fight was scored 48-46 Edgar, 48-46 Maynard, and 47-47, which resulted in a draw. Because of the draw, Edgar retained his title.

After being informed that he would face Pettis next, even Edgar admitted he prefered a third bout with Maynard, who handed the lightweight champion his only career loss back in 2008.

"I probably would (prefer to have a rematch with Maynard)," Edgar said. "To have a little more closure would be nice."

As for Pettis' next move, White said he's currently unsure. However, the UFC boss insisted he would figure it out as quickly as possible.

For more on UFC 125, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of MMAjunkie.com.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Spiritwalker's Avatar
Spiritwalker Spiritwalker is offline
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 4,339
Default

I understand both sides of this one.. if Frankie wants it.. sure.. but IMO.. Grey didn't win.. (granted... he didn't lose...)
__________________
It is because you chose to get on the mat that makes you the winner. Think about how many people are not on that mat right now. - Luis Sucuri Togno
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 17,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Breakfast View Post
UFC boss has change of heart, Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III up next
by John Morgan on Jan 02, 2011 at 3:20 am ET
LAS VEGAS Cheer up, Gray. You'll get another chance.

Fewer than two hours after UFC executive Craig Borsari informed the media at UFC 125's post-event press conference that Anthony Pettis would get the next crack at the UFC's lightweight belt, UFC president Dana White had a change of heart.

White informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the promotion instead will book Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III as soon as possible.

"We changed the plans," White told MMAjunkie.com. "After Craig made the announcement, I had a lot of people talking to me, and the reality is, Gray Maynard deserves that fight. We had planned on doing Anthony Pettis next, but Gray went in there and fought his ass off and deserves another chance.

"In the UFC, we do the right thing, and the right thing is to put on this rematch."

White first discussed the change of plans with Yahoo! Sports.

Maynard was absolutely dejected at the evening's post-event press conference, and his outlook worsened at Borsari's announcement.

"I worked my ass for this," Maynard said. "I guess it kind of hurts."

Edgar was nearly knocked out in the opening round of the main-event bout, which took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. After losing the round 10-8 on all three judges' scorecards, Edgar valiantly battled back for the remaining four frames.

The final four rounds were closely contested, and the fight was scored 48-46 Edgar, 48-46 Maynard, and 47-47, which resulted in a draw. Because of the draw, Edgar retained his title.

After being informed that he would face Pettis next, even Edgar admitted he prefered a third bout with Maynard, who handed the lightweight champion his only career loss back in 2008.

"I probably would (prefer to have a rematch with Maynard)," Edgar said. "To have a little more closure would be nice."

As for Pettis' next move, White said he's currently unsure. However, the UFC boss insisted he would figure it out as quickly as possible.

For more on UFC 125, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of MMAjunkie.com.
NO...the "right thing" is not to break your promise!!!

Maynard had his shot. He failed.

Its Pettis turn now...sorting out another fight for him isnt good enough when you need a unification, and you cant make edgar fight too many times in swift succession.

As per usual, Dana White acts like a complete arse and tries to cover his tracks.

Gray does NOT deserve another chance at the expense of anyone else. The UFC is becoming silly with its instant rematches....or maybe we are just seeing that the UFC lightweights matter more then the WEC lightweights...either way, Dana White has made the wrong decision.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Jonlion's Avatar
Jonlion Jonlion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London
Posts: 1,306
Default

This what happens when you have a lot of rematches it becomes hard to deny other quite valid requests.

I personally don't mind a rematch.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

pettis don't deserve a shot either
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:28 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

good rematch ... edgar takes the rematch i think ... i had him winning this one ... but it was close ... pettis should now fight a real LW and see how he does ...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 PM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Rematch is the right thing. Nobody can be satisfied with a draw.
Just because Pettis was the WEC champ doesn't mean he should get an instant shot. Carlos Condit didn't get a shot when they blended the WWs into the UFC.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2011, 11:28 PM
adamt adamt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Rematch is the right thing. Nobody can be satisfied with a draw.
Just because Pettis was the WEC champ doesn't mean he should get an instant shot. Carlos Condit didn't get a shot when they blended the WWs into the UFC.
agreed... horedecki was ifl champ and rothwell was ifl champ and look how lame they are

being champ in the minor leagues doesn't mean you are worthy

i doubt the little league champs would hang in with the mariners or pirates, let alone the rays or phillies
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2011, 02:57 AM
JavierDLC's Avatar
JavierDLC JavierDLC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso Texas
Posts: 2,306
Default

I'm okay with the rematch but this is total BULLCRAP!!!!!!!

FRANKIE did more than enough to retain he's title. Yeah Maynard won the first round decisively but Frankie was a step ahead every round. I loved seeing Grey tossed around and slammed like he does to he's opponents usually.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I'm okay with the rematch but this is total BULLCRAP!!!!!!!

FRANKIE did more than enough to retain he's title. Yeah Maynard won the first round decisively but Frankie was a step ahead every round. I loved seeing Grey tossed around and slammed like he does to he's opponents usually.
You must have had your beer goggles on!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.