Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Country Breakfast

Default Mike Swick vs Ben Saunders For UFC 99

An intriguing matchup between welterweights Mike Swick and Ben Saunders is now set for UFC 99 on June 13 in Cologne, Germany.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com learned of the new bout from sources close to the fight with all indications being that agreements have been formally signed, making the fight official.

Swick, 13-2, last competed at “UFC Fight for the Troops” this past December. Facing Jonathan Goulet, Swick TKO’d the Canadian fight veteran just 33 seconds into the fight. The quick and decisive victory marked the former middleweight’s third victory since moving to welterweight.

A light heavyweight contestant during the first season of The Ultimate Fighter, Swick made his debut at 170 at UFC Fight Night 12 last January. Facing TUF 2 veteran Josh Burkman, Swick won via majority decision. He returned at UFC 85 this past June, where he took on another veteran from TUF 2, Marcus Davis. Swick brought an end to Davis’ 11 fight win streak when he was declared the victor by unanimous decision.

The UFC had been trying to match Swick up with Anthony Johnson at UFC Fight Night 18 on April 1 but the match never was finalized.

Like Swick, Saunders also last competed at “UFC Fight for the Troops,” where he used a devestating array of knees to TKO former Navy Seal Brandon Wolff at 1:49 of round 1. Capitalizing on the momentum Saunders gained coming out of the strong performance, the UFC signed a match between him and fellow prospect Dustin Hazelett for UFC 96 on March 7. However, the fight fell through as both fighters were forced to pull off the card due to injury.

Saunders is a veteran from the sixth season of The Ultimate Fighter and holds a perfect record in his career of 7-0-2. Considered extremely tall for his division at 6′2”, the American Top Team-trained fighter is a perfect 3-0 when competing inside of the Octagon.

UFC 99 will mark the UFC’s debut in Germany and is slated to emanate from the Lanxess Arena. The event is expected to be headlined by a 195 pound catchweight bout between former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin and former PRIDE middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva.

Other bouts reportedly expected for the card include Cain Velasquez vs. Heath Herring, Spencer Fisher vs. Caol Uno, and Todd Duffee vs. Mustapha al Turk.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Country Breakfast

I really don't understand this match-up. Swick is gonna smoke Saunders.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Champ2be

Yea what a down grade for Swick. Although Saunders landed some of the best knee's in his last fight. I couldnt believe what that guys head looked like after the fight!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

War Swick!!!

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Hughes_GOAT

this will be the only fight i'm rooting for Swick in
Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Mike better murder him.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 AM
ufcfan2

I also don't understand this matchup Swick should be fighting harder tier opposition and Ben is not it. Just not sure what to make of it?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:06 AM
lc87

After bens last figh ill root for him. But I doub he win