Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Black Mamba

Default from mma junkie

A new report from Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports indicates that Mir has undergone surgery, but that UFC President Dana White has not made any definitive decisions on the cancellation of the bout because he is currently unaware of a problem.

The full report is reprinted below.

Mir injured, but Lesnar rematch still on

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The heavyweight title unification bout between champion Brock Lesnar and interim champ Frank Mir at UFC 98 on May 23 remains on despite arthroscopic surgery performed on Mir's right knee earlier this week.

Fiveouncesofpain.com initially reported Friday that the bout was off because of a back injury sustained by Mir. It later corrected that to say it was a knee injury. And then MMAWeekly.com reported Mir had knee surgery.

UFC president Dana White said after the weigh-in for UFC 96 at the Nationwide Arena that he knew nothing of an injury by Mir. Mir and manager Dean Albrecht did not return messages.

"I don't know anything about it, so I honestly couldn't tell you anything about it," White said of Mir's injury and the report that the fight was off. "I'm not too worried about it now. If that were the situation, I'd know about it. I honestly don't know right now. I haven't talked to Frank and I haven't talked to Lesnar and if that's the situation, I'm not going to make any statements until I talk to everybody."

But a source in Las Vegas close to Mir said his knee began swelling excessively last week after a workout. After an examination, Mir had arthroscopic surgery to "clean up" the knee.

Mir won the interim title from Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 92 in December despite a training camp that was filled with injuries. Mir’s back was bothering him and he received frequent treatment on it in an attempt to enable him to compete.

An alternative would be to push the title bout back to UFC 100 on July 11 in Las Vegas, but White said because he had no information, he couldn't comment.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:45 AM
mikthehick

Time to either call the Witch Doctor or make the HUGHES/serra match the headline fight.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:42 AM

if it is true, and he had some really bad inflamation, had it scoped, how exactly does that make him a wuss? Wouldn't you want to be in as close to 100% before taking on a beast like Les?

It's not 100% confirmed yet anyways.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:05 AM
ufcfan2

I'd rather Mir be 100% so there is no excuses or doubts in anyones mind. If Mir can't go I'd rather they give someone else a shot at Brock,maybe Kongo.
I guess that all depends I guess on what Brock/Mir and Dana are willing to do.
I'm not sure if Mir is out for awhile how that interm champion thing goes does it get stripped or what? If hes gonna be out for awhile the see if u can find another title contendor to face Brock or they can push Brocks title defense back a month or two and let him face winner of GG/Carwin?
If they do that then let matt/matt be headliner and put on another fight if possible or make it free.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 AM
warriorlion

mmawekly.com

Just as quickly as it was announced, a UFC heavyweight title unification bout between current champion Brock Lesnar and interim titleholder Frank Mir has apparently been scrapped.

Fiveouncesofpain.com reported that Mir suffered a back injury that has kept him from training recently and caused his removal from the UFC 98 main event bout.

Multiple MMAWeekly.com sources, however, indicated that it is a knee injury that has precluded Mir from training. They also said that he recently underwent surgery to repair the knee, which will sideline him for the next four to six weeks to allow the knee to sufficiently heal.

The UFC had no comment at the time of publication. It is currently unknown if the promotion will try to find a replacement for Mir in the bout with Lesnar, or if they will move to insert a new UFC 98 headline bout.

(UPDATE) UFC president Dana White later told Yahoo! Sports following the UFC 96 weigh-in at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, on Friday that he knew nothing of a Mir injury.

"If he were hurt and the fight was off, I'd assume I would know," White said.

Mir failed to return messages to Yahoo! Sports and MMAWeekly.com.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
i like a lot of them. Edge, Jericho, Morrison, Santino, Orton
Santino cracks me up.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Crowbar

http://webcast.bodybuilding.com/fits..._frank_mir.wmv

Interview with Mir saying the fight is off for May 23rd. This really sucks. I wonder what Dana will have to say since he didn't know anything while Mir was off doing interviews telling people it was off.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

He did it on purpose. Can't say I blame him.

All jokes aside, hope he has a speedy recovery and can come back strong for the rematch.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:37 PM
kevint13

I was really looking forward to seeing Lesnar fight again. I could still see him fighting someone else but I really think Dana is going to try to convince BJ to fight Florian at UFC 98. That title hasn't been defended since last May.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

I'd imagine Brock is still going to fight. It'd be nice to see him destroy Kongo so Kongo will shutup about a title shot.