Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Be nice Tyburn!! He was being nice by providing that info to us all! Would you rather have everyone saying gays are freaks of nature or something similar to that?
I didnt mean it nastily...all I meant was, NOONE knows what causes homosexuality.

Everyone has a theory, and there are millions of them about...but noone knows...and I doubt we ever will. I dont feel the cause to be that important, personally, I only think what to do to get rid of it is whats important...but thats just me
Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
1) Their silence is their lie. Why should they have to try and convince others that they are hetrosexual....it shouldnt matter....and actually...if you value your life and have dependants and committments, you are not free to leave your job at any time...not unless you want your world to come crashing down.
most of us wouldnt work period if we didnt have to...and codes of conduct and appropriate behaviour in the workplace is applicable across the whole board.
But you ARE free to choose weather or not you leave a job. I never said there wouldn't be consequences, but you still have the choice NOT to stay in an environment you don't like. When it comes to the military, you are not just "free to leave". You are not a civilian anymore. They own you.

Also, being silent doesn't always constitute a lie. A soldier doesn't owe it to another soldier to disclose his personal sexual tastes anymore than anybody else, be it a boss, co-worker, or some random person on the street.

The rules were simple. Don't ask, don't tell. It didn't have to be a big deal.

Quote:
2) Oh I quite agree that it is a political boost. Thats why Obama has done it, and it shows how desperate he's become. Noone said anything about "Flaunt" just that one should not be punished for ones sexuality in that environment.
What our president should have told the Gay Headquarters in San Francisco is that not only are we keeping DADT, but we are adding a new policy called "Don't like it? Don't care. STFU".

I know you didn't say people should "flaunt" their gayness, but you can't deny that a lot of gay people do just that. There will be those who go out of their way to do that now that it's repealed. I'm sure there are a lot of soldiers who are gay that won't do that, but I bet those soldiers probably didn't have a problem complying with the DADT policy in the first place.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
i don't want to serve with a sheeplover either
Old 12-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post

homosexuality does not conincide with the character of God
Neither does telling lies...nor adultory...nor devorce...so perhaps every lier, every cheat, and every devorcee should leave the Military to.

We are not arguing if Homosexuality is right or wrong in a moral sence...we are asking if its alright for a homo to serve in the military
Old 12-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
1) But you ARE free to choose weather or not you leave a job. I never said there wouldn't be consequences, but you still have the choice NOT to stay in an environment you don't like. When it comes to the military, you are not just "free to leave". You are not a civilian anymore. They own you.

2) Also, being silent doesn't always constitute a lie. A soldier doesn't owe it to another soldier to disclose his personal sexual tastes anymore than anybody else, be it a boss, co-worker, or some random person on the street.

The rules were simple. Don't ask, don't tell. It didn't have to be a big deal.

What our president should have told the Gay Headquarters in San Francisco is that not only are we keeping DADT, but we are adding a new policy called "Don't like it? Don't care. STFU".

3) I know you didn't say people should "flaunt" their gayness, but you can't deny that a lot of gay people do just that. There will be those who go out of their way to do that now that it's repealed. I'm sure there are a lot of soldiers who are gay that won't do that, but I bet those soldiers probably didn't have a problem complying with the DADT policy in the first place.
1) I'm sure if you wanted to leave you could do something that would get you chucked out. Infact I know thats true, because I know someone who WAS chucked out from your armed forces

2) No he doesnt...but he shouldnt have to live in fear of it comming out and then him being in trouble for it...and he shouldnt have to put on a facade to put others at ease...

...and its easy for you to say Silence isnt lying...but if you dont tell people, they form their own ideas. I never told my Gran...She used to write to me about how proud she was of me, and how I would make a good husband some day, or have a wonderful family...she would write things about my character that made her proud...I wonder...would she have been so proud if she had known the truth?

Noone else in my family is. But I let her die without knowing, she had a dream, and ideal of me...and she loved that ideal...but it was false, and I knew it was false, and I let it continue.

Now I regret that.

3) Well, when they flaunt, they should get chucked out for inappropriate behaviour...thats one less gay to worry about isnt it.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
1) I'm sure if you wanted to leave you could do something that would get you chucked out. Infact I know thats true, because I know someone who WAS chucked out from your armed forces

2) No he doesnt...but he shouldnt have to live in fear of it comming out and then him being in trouble for it...and he shouldnt have to put on a facade to put others at ease...

...and its easy for you to say Silence isnt lying...but if you dont tell people, they form their own ideas. I never told my Gran...She used to write to me about how proud she was of me, and how I would make a good husband some day, or have a wonderful family...she would write things about my character that made her proud...I wonder...would she have been so proud if she had known the truth?
Noone else in my family is. But I let her die without knowing, she had a dream, and ideal of me...and she loved that ideal...but it was false, and I knew it was false, and I let it continue.

Now I regret that.

3) Well, when they flaunt, they should get chucked out for inappropriate behaviour...thats one less gay to worry about isnt it.
Sorry to hear that Tyburn.. Don't let that consume you though. I do give you credit for not participating in homosexual behavior anymore. That is really something your family should be proud of. If it makes you feel any better I think my dad wanted to cry the day I became a Republican
Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Sorry to hear that Tyburn.. Don't let that consume you though. I do give you credit for not participating in homosexual behavior anymore. That is really something your family should be proud of. If it makes you feel any better I think my dad wanted to cry the day I became a Republican
dont worry, its really only a concern on her years mind, when I read all her old letters and wish I'd had the courage to maybe tell her...or maybe it was best she didnt know...I dont know...She's in heaven now...so she knows it all (poor Gran )

I have a strange relationship with some in my family, particularly my Father...I dare say we are both as bad as each other. Sometimes they do take issue...but then...I dont exactly roll over and play dead in response

You always cheer me up Miss Foxy...and a lot of it is because even when we dont aggree rather then jump to things, you let me respond, and you actually READ my response, and then reply to that...it doesnt solve our differences, but it does make me feel like you listen and understand, even if you dont aggree...and fair enough...I dont have all the answers...and I'm not out to convince people...but it winds me up when people either ignore me, or worse dont listen to me
Old 12-23-2010, 09:18 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Of course you could do that. But that's not being a very good soldier, and something people should consider when they decide to join the military.

Quote:

Now I regret that.

But again, there is civilian life and military life.

There are certain freedoms that people knowingly give up when they join the military. It's just a fact of life that there is a stigma surrounding homosexuals, especially when you are talking about a large group of young men who aren't gay. The policy is as much aimed at keeping them from asking about it as it is for homosexuals to feel they should be able to come out and openly talk about it. It wasn't designed to make anybody more uncomfortable then they already are, it was designed to avoid other problems that can stem from this because it's not really comfortable for most people to talk about be it straight or gay.

I can understand it's not likely to be an easy scenario for somebody who is gay to deal with, but dealing with those stigmas are going to be a reality and a person should know they will have to cope with that not only if they want to be a soldier, but basically in all walks of life.

I also realize that it's tough to feel like you let somebody down, or to regret being untruthful. We all go through that in life many times over in multiple ways.

Quote:
I would agree, they should be punished. I would also say that if a soldier was harassing another soldier because of their sexuality, they should be punished too.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Crisco

I swing both ways on this issue
Old 12-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Crisco

^

See what I did there?