Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 12-23-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
We had a soldier in Korea who got put on charges of racial discrimination because he asked a simple, logical question, "If I'm not allowed to say the word 'nigger' because I'm white, then why should I be forced to listen to that same word repeated over and over and over again in the gangster rap that my roommate plays ALL THE TIME?"

Unfortunately, not only was his roommate black, but so was his squad leader, so he was charged with making a racial slur. He was never the same soldier after that and became completely disillusioned with the Army and started making plans to leave the Army immediately after his enlistment was up.
That is just awful.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:34 AM
Administrator

What was wrong with the "don't ask, don't tell" policy anyway?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
What was wrong with the "don't ask, don't tell" policy anyway?
Nothing, it was really the only compromise possible. Prior to that, if a soldier was suspected of being a homosexual, then it could turn into a "witch hunt" as his supervisors would go out of their way to try to prove that he was gay so they could kick him out. So, unfortunately, many straight guys would be under constant harassment simply because they didn't fit into accepted male stereotypes.

DADT allowed gays to serve without harassment provided they simply kept their sexual orientation to themselves. It also prevented heterosexual soldiers from being unfairly classified as gay and threatened with a discharge.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:11 AM
County Mike

Faking it didn't work for Klinger.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
How are they going to handle the barracks situation where most soldiers have roommates? What if a straight soldier is assigned a gay roommate and that gay guy wants to bring his boyfriend over for the night? When that heterosexual soldier complains, he's just going to get charged with sexual harassment. That's going to destroy his morale and motivation, and he's going to look for the quickest way out of the Army. Where otherwise he might have stayed in his entire career.
are you allowed to have any sexual contact?? I thought you couldnt bring people "over for the night" I thought it was pretty much like a boarding school in that respect.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
They can ask you anything they want.
but why would they ask that

Its not important for the job at hand is it?? ...perhaps if they spent less time asking silly questions, and more time actually allowing members of the Military to get on with their job, then things might run more effectively.

Also...I do think that as grown men, really, they should be able to work out bunking scenarios. I know they are paid to fight and not to be diplomats...but if you have to live in close quarters with someone else, you have to learn to negotiate and to bear with certain things you might not like...its really a matter of maturity I feel.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
DING!DING!DING!DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Yes, I believe that homosexuals should NOT be allowed to serve in the Armed Forces.
I just wanted to be clear on that point....

Something to consider... http://cjonline.com/interact/blog/re..._reality_check

The main problem with allowing openly homosexual men to serve in combat zones won't be them attacking others, but others killing them because of concerns about being attacked. Some homosexuals claim that they look at other men the way men look at women. Many could interpret this claim as indicating homosexuals might attack other men the way some men attack women. .

One of the motivations of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy was the murder of homosexual PO Allen Schindler by shipmate Airman Apprentice Terry Helvey in October, 1992, while Schindler was awaiting discharge for homosexuality. Helvey insisted he killed Schindler for "bossing him around" when he reached a plea bargain to avoid the death penalty.

/Queue Joe Rogan Voice.... "Sounds to me that it might not be the GAY GUY that has the problem..."

I never served... so I don't know how it is being in the military... But I also am not comfortable "flamming gays"... I don't know why.. "specificly".. but I am not. But if they are not bothering me... and I am still not comfortable... then who really has the problem?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Yeah, there is no illusion of personal privacy in the Army. Many Constitutional freedoms are signed away when a person joins the military. As many commanders have said (and I'm sure it's been repeated in more than one movie), "We're here to defend the Constitution, not to practice it."
Your also not there to complain are you? Like, to follow orders, not to question them, if someone tells you to share a room with a gay guy...they probably arent asking you...they are telling you.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Also...I do think that as grown men, really, they should be able to work out bunking scenarios. I know they are paid to fight and not to be diplomats...but if you have to live in close quarters with someone else, you have to learn to negotiate and to bear with certain things you might not like...its really a matter of maturity I feel.
damn.. I actually find myself agreeing with Dave????

when recruiters are targeting "the poor inner city" people... you have to deal with what you have...

I went to an air show in Sept. And the Army was there recruiting... and the way the soldiers were acting.. when they thought no one was watching... I was almost embarrassed.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
How are they going to handle the barracks situation where most soldiers have roommates? What if a straight soldier is assigned a gay roommate and that gay guy wants to bring his boyfriend over for the night? When that heterosexual soldier complains, he's just going to get charged with sexual harassment. That's going to destroy his morale and motivation, and he's going to look for the quickest way out of the Army. Where otherwise he might have stayed in his entire career.
Agreed...and the straight soldier may have even been a great soldier also...

I understand where you were going.. but do you understand that the role reversal is almost as likely as well?