Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 12-16-2010, 03:04 AM
Hughes fanboy

Default Do you think the Rapture is imminent?

Pretty much sums it up.

I see so much emphasis on stuff like MMA, UFC, sports, entertainment etc etc, by "CHRISTIAN" people no less. Christians who love leisure more than God, but of course, think they don't, let's be honest here. These days I think it is easier than it has ever been to get caught up in the world and its pleasures.

Yet very, VERY little does it seem Christians ever preach the Gospel. Am I wrong, right, sorta/kinda? Of course there are many Christians, but few who work for Christ, and like the song says: faith without works is like a screen door on a submarine - is this song bs?? Makes perfect sense and you'll never get it out of your head once you listen to it so don't click this link no matter what http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz0JOfl9luA

Isn't preaching the Gospel supposed to be, I don't know, our JOB? Or do we just expect that others will pick up the slack for us?

I'm no saint, trust me, I'm the chief of sinners, and am in bondage to sin, but, I recognize that Christians being lukewarm has to be one of the surest signs that real (albeit undeserving) Christians are going to be Raptured soon.

Should we just go to sleep, talk sports, post status updates on Facebook and engage in countless other meaningless activities (as if they important) whilst our friends and families are trekking down the highway STRAIGHT to hell?

For anyone who wants to guttersnipe explain this verse:

Matt 25

25:1 "Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins
who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.

25:2 Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

25:3 Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them,

25:4 but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

25:5 But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.

25:6 And at midnight a cry was heard:
'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!'

25:7 Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps.

25:8 And the foolish said to the wise,
'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.'

25:9 But the wise answered, saying,
'No, lest there should not be enough for us and you;
but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.'

25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came,
And those who were ready went in with him to the wedding;
and the door was shut.

25:11 Afterward the other virgins came also, saying,
'Lord, Lord, open to us!'

25:12 But he answered and said,
'Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.'

25:13 Watch therefore,
for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/

Last edited by Vizion; 12-16-2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: shut up it's late and I can't type worth a darn when I'm tired
Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 AM
cheachea

I feel the Rapture is very soon. I feel like a very lazy Christian also. It can be such a challenge to balance things between having to be politically correct at work, but also wanting to share Jesus to people.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
Pretty much sums it up.

I see so much emphasis on stuff like MMA, UFC, sports, entertainment etc etc, by "CHRISTIAN" people no less. Christians who love leisure more than God, but of course, think they don't, let's be honest here. These days I think it is easier than it has ever been to get caught up in the world and its pleasures.

Yet very, VERY little does it seem Christians ever preach the Gospel. Am I wrong, right, sorta/kinda? Of course there are many Christians, but few who work for Christ, and like the song says: faith without works is like a screen door on a submarine - is this song bs?? Makes perfect sense and you'll never get it out of your head once you listen to it so don't click this link no matter what http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz0JOfl9luA

Isn't preaching the Gospel supposed to be, I don't know, our JOB? Or do we just expect that others will pick up the slack for us?

I'm no saint, trust me, I'm the chief of sinners, and am in bondage to sin, but, I recognize that Christians being lukewarm has to be one of the surest signs that real (albeit undeserving) Christians are going to be Raptured soon.

Should we just go to sleep, talk sports, post status updates on Facebook and engage in countless other meaningless activities (as if they important) whilst our friends and families are trekking down the highway STRAIGHT to hell?

For anyone who wants to guttersnipe explain this verse:
No. I don't.

I'm feeling like this is more a post of condemnation than a call to action...

Am I reading this right?

Are you basing this off of what you're seeing here on the forums or in life around you?

Help me out brother! I'm trying to follow you on this one but I'm not sure where you're going.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Chris F

THe bible is clear that it is any moment however it is also clear that certain events must take place as well. This is why Paul admonished the Thessiolians to get back to work and wait. God wants us to have an attitude of expectancy at the same time uses the time he has given us to be salt and light. You are correct in that most Christians have the appearance of faith but seems to deny the power thereof. A real Christian will stick out like a sore thumb in any place that the world is the focus. This is Why Matt sticks out in the UFC and has so many haters that do not understand him.

Chuck if you took it as condemnation than maybe it is more of conviction and it is easier for you to paint it as condemnation. In Christ there is no condemnation but a whole lot of conviction sure enough. I doubt Vizion meant it more than a simple look and the mirror and ask yourself sort a thing. We can all do a better job walking the walk if you know what I mean. I do not think he meant it as a downward elbow to a downed opponent.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Chuck if you took it as condemnation than maybe it is more of conviction and it is easier for you to paint it as condemnation. In Christ there is no condemnation but a whole lot of conviction sure enough. I doubt Vizion meant it more than a simple look and the mirror and ask yourself sort a thing. We can all do a better job walking the walk if you know what I mean. I do not think he meant it as a downward elbow to a downed opponent.
That was nice!!!

I didn't really take it too much as either to be honest.. I was just looking for some clarification so I could get on the same page.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM
surveyorshawn

This post seems more of an admonishment and an encouragement to me. Remember "encourage each other more and more as you see the day approaching". As far as the rapture happening any sooner because of the things you listed, Vision, those kinds of things have been going on widespread for a long, long time. Paul admonished churches he wrote letters to about many of those same things, and John was instructed to write some of those things to the churches in Asia in Revelation. If we look throughout history, we can see periods where the church as we know it was practically dead (especially right before the reformation).

Like Chris said, there are specific prophesies that must be fulfilled first. I do believe we are in the last days, but honestly, so did Paul. I personally am not one who holds to the pre-trib rapture theory, as I see many scriptures (not the least of which is "the days are shortened for the sake of the elect", etc.) that don't seem to point that way, but it is no point of contention to me, and if I am around when it happens and get taken up before the tribulation, let's just say I won't be disappointed, lol. Regardless, even well-educated theologians can't all agree on the details, which is why there are several schools of thought on it.

One thing that does burn me up, though, is that Tim LaHaye (sp) spent a ton of money building, staffing, and maintaining the Institute for the Defense of the Pretribulation Rapture. I'm sure God was well pleased with spending millions of dollars on that instead of spreading the Gospel, feeding the poor, and showing the world who Jesus is and what He is like in general. Ok, I'm stepping off my soapbox now....lol
Old 12-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Maglorius

I do feel as a Christian that I am not spreading the Gospel as I should and that most Christians don't. For one most Christians are biblically illiterate and we have been told a lie. I remember very early on in my Christian walk I was told this: "Preach the Gospel always, if necessary use words."-St. Francis of Assisi. So I began to believe that I don't always have to talk about Jesus, but that in my actions and how I live my life, is also spreading the gospel. This is really a bunch of nonsense as I have never had anybody come up to me and say,"Hey you are always kind with people, please tell me about Jesus, or, "I see that you didn't order a beer with your meal, can you tell me about God." etc. The Gospel is called Good News for a reason, as we must talk about it with others and engage non christians with the truth of Jesus. This is the hardest thing to do as a Christian. Now I don't want to knock on any Mission people here, but I have always believed it is easier to go along ways away to spread the Gospel than it is to your neighbor, co-worker, dad, mom, brother, sister etc. But that is what we are commanded to do and the only way to do that is by talking about Jesus.

As far as the rapture, pre trib, post trib, mid trib etc. My position is I want to be raptured and I want everyone here to be raptured. I don't agree with the Tim Lahayes, John Hagees, of the world. I am what they would call the black sheep of Christendom.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I dont know.

I would say there are two things missing for the End Times....First there is no proper world control...at Present Lucifer doesnt have the viechal with which world domination will take place.

Some feel he doesnt need it, and will "create" it himself...but he isnt really a creator. I think it is more in his personality to hyjack something that looks innocent, and change it through a few missconceptions into something evil. Therefore I think this viechal must be created prior to his arrival. There is nothing in this world close...the United States is not dommineering enough, China is not powerful enough, Russia is too archaic, The European Union is on the verge of collapse, and the United Nations was made to look so completely powerless after the 2003 invasion of Iraq...that they couldnt even control their own members, much less a whole world full of civilians.

Secondly if this is true, who knows how long this Viechal will be around for, innocent, and useful, and positive, before it is taken over...it could be hundreds of years.

But there is another thing that is missing...and that be The Temple. As I said, it is not in Lucifers Nature to create anything but fabrications. He is hardly going to build a Temple, when GOD is to rule from that Temple during the Millenial Reign. I dont see GOD moving into a house the Lucifer built...this means the Millenial Temple must be built prior to the Tribulation.

Right now they are building within metres of it, and have access to the wailing wall...but thats all. Islam still has a large grip on Temple Mount. Again...we dont know how many Temples are yet to be built before the Millenial...perhaps the Israelis will build one and Islam will distroy it...and then they will have to build another...this happened several times in the Biblical past. Even if the next Temple built is The Millenial Temple...who knows how long the Structure must stand before the Endtimes begin?

Finally, most scholars note that every generation feels the End is nigh, they also note that never, before the last 50 years has Israel as a Nation Reoccupied its original Territory...they use this to say we must be close...but who knows how many times Israel will be removed, and replanted...its possible that Iran might nuke them. they might be scattered again...they might yet have to completely rebuild Jerusalem, and the Temple, starting from a position of pre 1939...we make assumptions...and its this reason why we will never be given a date, and never know until its moments away probably

It is none of our concern when the Lord decides to draw a line under History. We have been given our tasks to do, we should stop arguing over petty little things, obsessing over how much time we might have left, telling others they are wrong for thinking differently on a matter whose timing has not been specifically revealed to us.

Nevermind thinking of when we can rest in peace...we have a war to wage and souls to win over. There are still battles to be fought, and they arent won by interdenominational point scoring.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Awretchsaved

I don't buy into the secret rapture theory either. But anyway, good post. It's easy for us to take offense to this, but there should be balance.

God has given us gifts for us to enjoy. Such as MMA. We enjoy these things, but they must never take the place of God.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglorius View Post
For one most Christians are biblically illiterate and we have been told a lie. I remember very early on in my Christian walk I was told this: "Preach the Gospel always, if necessary use words."-St. Francis of Assisi. So I began to believe that I don't always have to talk about Jesus, but that in my actions and how I live my life, is also spreading the gospel. This is really a bunch of nonsense as I have never had anybody come up to me and say,"Hey you are always kind with people, please tell me about Jesus, or, "I see that you didn't order a beer with your meal, can you tell me about God." etc.
I'm not sure "we" were told a lie. You may have been given some bad information early in your walk but I know I personally was never taught that. But I get your point.

Lifestyle Evangelism was something that was taught and "practiced" quite a bit in the 80's. I personally believe it was the precursor to the Politically Correct (PC) movement that got completely out of hand and did nothing but hurt our nation. I will tell you that Lifestyle Evangelism will not hurt Christianity. It's hardly an effective way of preaching the Gospel but it won't hurt it. Being aggressive with your evangelism or preaching the Gospel but living a life contrary to it WILL however, hurt Christianity.

So for me I think it's important to do both. We are called to not only share the Gospel actively but to make sure we live a life that is in accordance with God's Word. Of course we are covered by grace and blessed to have forgiveness (with repentance) but we can't rely on those things to justify a selfish lifestyle or sinful choices.

A quote by Brennan Manning made famous in a DC Talk song sums it up best in my opinion...

“The single greatest cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable”