Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 12-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default UFC 129 no longer in Middle East

instead, the card will take place in New Jersey...apparently the problem is they cant find a suitable venue to host in Abu Dhabi

Last week, Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White stated that UFC 128, originally scheduled to take place in Abu Dhabi, was in danger.

The reason behind that announcement was that the promotion was having a hard time securing a suitable venue for the event.

The last time the UFC was in Abu Dhabi, the event took place in a temporary outdoor venue at Ferrari World on Yas Island. That venue no longer exists.

Sportsnet is reporting that the Abu Dhabi event has been scrapped and a new event is being planned for the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.

The event in New Jersey, UFC 129 is scheduled to take place on March 19. The main event at the New Jersey event will be Mauricio “Shogun” Rua defending his UFC light heavyweight title against “Suga” Rashad Evans.

Tito Ortiz is also expected to be on the card in a bout with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Ortiz, who has not won a fight since October 2006, will most likely be fighting for his UFC life against Nogueira.

Other fights that have been mentioned as possibilities for the UFC 129 card are Frank Mir vs. Brendan Schaub and Michihiro Omigawa vs. Chad Mendes.

The last event held at the Prudential Center was a March 2010. The main event that evening saw Georges St. Pierre defend his UFC welterweight title against Dan Hardy. St. Pierre won the fight via unanimous decision.

The event, UFC 111, drew a crowd of 17,000
Old 12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Miss Foxy

Good!! For the safety of my precious Shogun & Mir!! Tito is on his own!! j/k.. In all seriousness good call for the safety of everyone involved.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 PM
County Mike

I don't think anyone's safety was in question. Abu Dhabi isn't really hostile territory for us. In fact, Newark is probably MORE dangerous.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I don't think anyone's safety was in question. Abu Dhabi isn't really hostile territory for us. In fact, Newark is probably MORE dangerous.
Or Compton, CA!! lol...
Old 12-16-2010, 01:20 PM
cubsfan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Or Compton, CA!! lol...
I have never been to Compton, but have been to Newark.That city is a truly awful place.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan47 View Post
I have never been to Compton, but have been to Newark.That city is a truly awful place.
Newark is a Mirror City for THE Newark...and thats quite a small and nice town not to far from where I was born

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl4s_R_QUjc

Though of course, my City was better. My City is called Lincoln.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ezYK-DlRiY

Last edited by Tyburn; 12-16-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:51 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Newark is a Mirror City for THE Newark...and thats quite a small and nice town not to far from where I was born
If that's true, then you were born in the ghetto. Or atleast, a mirrored version of a ghetto. Newark, NJ is rough.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
If that's true, then you were born in the ghetto. Or atleast, a mirrored version of a ghetto. Newark, NJ is rough.
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I dont mean Mirror as in likeness...I mean that the Settlers who decided to call their township "Newark" basically stole the name from an Existing town. Most cities and towns in the United States are basically named after pre-existing towns and cities in other countries. Many are replicated over and over...so you might have one City in England...and it might have a city in seventeen different states named after it. I suspect other states have places called "newark" also

Secondly...I wasnt born there...I was born in a City not to far away. Called Lincoln
Old 12-16-2010, 05:11 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I wasnt born there...I was born in a City not to far away. Called Lincoln
Whatever you say, Slumdog Millionaire.