Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 12-14-2010, 04:52 PM
TDPARKASH

Default Fighting vs. Martial Arts (Reference to GSP)

There is a lot of discussion in the spoiler thread, but i think this argument warrants it's own thread. Also, because this topic is hijjacking the UFC spoiler thread.

Here's summing up some of the themes:
1. GSP doesn't try to finish fights
2. GSP has become boring to watch
3. (1 & 2) don't constitute him that high on the P4P rankings

Here are my thoughts:

I think the first thing to noodle on is that GSP's approach is from a martial arts standpoint, not a fight. It is this approach that i think is being heavily critiqued. Having taking martial arts for years myself, one of the main principles is to hit without getting hit yourself. If you look very closely at the fight, GSP's technique was awesome, awesome. Everything from his foot movement, to how he would come in and out of range for the jab. The amount of times that Koscheck missed was primarly due to GSP's movement. I have only been more impressed with Machida and Andersen Silva when it comes to distance.

To start with point (1), It's very difficult to say if he doesn't try to finish fights. His technique is sooo awesome, i personally don't care. But for arguments sake, if GSP was to stay in the pocket, plant his feet and swing (ie. Rampage, Leben etc.). He is taking away the discpline of what he has been trained in MARTIAL ARTS. This is what you are taught not what to doo, so i don't think he will switch to that anytime soon. What GSP can adapt is being more accurate with his strikes (i.e. Machida), and have has timing so perfect that he when he is in range, he lands flush on the jaw. But this is very very difficult to dooooo. Only a few can finish a fight using this method.

With regard to number 2, some may think he is boring to watch. But i may be wrong, i think he is carrying the Highest PPV numbers of any MMA star right now (outside of Canada as well). So were some might not like his style, i do believe that he is the biggest star in the MMA right now. Someone correct me if i am wrong???

#3 is a very subjective depending on someone's definition of P4P, here are some stats i saw on him.

Won 30 straight rounds, a UFC record
Won five straight welterweight title defenses, tying a UFC record for the division
Has 8 straight wins, tied for the second longest streak in UFC history
During 30-round streak, out-landed opponents, 1,067-367
Shutout five opponents who had gone 50-6 before facing him
Was successful on 33 of last 43 takedown attempts
Old 12-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Miss Foxy

Greaser boy could jump through rings of fire and I still would find him boring.. I'm just being a hater though!!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDPARKASH View Post
There is a lot of discussion in the spoiler thread, but i think this argument warrants it's own thread. Also, because this topic is hijjacking the UFC spoiler thread.

Here's summing up some of the themes:
1. GSP doesn't try to finish fights
2. GSP has become boring to watch
3. (1 & 2) don't constitute him that high on the P4P rankings

Here are my thoughts:

I think the first thing to noodle on is that GSP's approach is from a martial arts standpoint, not a fight. It is this approach that i think is being heavily critiqued. Having taking martial arts for years myself, one of the main principles is to hit without getting hit yourself. If you look very closely at the fight, GSP's technique was awesome, awesome. Everything from his foot movement, to how he would come in and out of range for the jab. The amount of times that Koscheck missed was primarly due to GSP's movement. I have only been more impressed with Machida and Andersen Silva when it comes to distance.

To start with point (1), It's very difficult to say if he doesn't try to finish fights. His technique is sooo awesome, i personally don't care. But for arguments sake, if GSP was to stay in the pocket, plant his feet and swing (ie. Rampage, Leben etc.). He is taking away the discpline of what he has been trained in MARTIAL ARTS. This is what you are taught not what to doo, so i don't think he will switch to that anytime soon. What GSP can adapt is being more accurate with his strikes (i.e. Machida), and have has timing so perfect that he when he is in range, he lands flush on the jaw. But this is very very difficult to dooooo. Only a few can finish a fight using this method.

With regard to number 2, some may think he is boring to watch. But i may be wrong, i think he is carrying the Highest PPV numbers of any MMA star right now (outside of Canada as well). So were some might not like his style, i do believe that he is the biggest star in the MMA right now. Someone correct me if i am wrong???

#3 is a very subjective depending on someone's definition of P4P, here are some stats i saw on him.

Won 30 straight rounds, a UFC record
Won five straight welterweight title defenses, tying a UFC record for the division
Has 8 straight wins, tied for the second longest streak in UFC history
During 30-round streak, out-landed opponents, 1,067-367
Shutout five opponents who had gone 50-6 before facing him
Was successful on 33 of last 43 takedown attempts
I think GSP is a BEAST and there is nothing Haters can do to prove otherwise.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I think GSP is a BEAST and there is nothing Haters can do to prove otherwise.
Bj Penn licking his hands with opposing fighters blood is a beast.. Or Matt grounding and pounding or slamming fighters on their backs leaving them helpless is a beast. GSP is boring.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:06 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Greg Jackson literally said it best for all these haters who think GSP only fights to win so he doesn't finish fights...

Finishing the fight is the safest way to win, so that's what they try to do every time. So yeah, it is about fighting to win, and finishing the fight ensures that. Thus, GSP always tries to finish his fights. People just act like because GSP is considered the best in the world he should be knocking everybody out.

My opinion is that the only people who find him boring are people who are haters. Weather they are out in the open about their hatred, or try to hide it behind some ridiculous argument. The truth is they are usually haters who are probably mad about GSP beating somebody they liked along the way.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:08 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Bj Penn licking his hands with opposing fighters blood is a beast.. Or Matt grounding and pounding or slamming fighters on their backs leaving them helpless is a beast. GSP is boring.
BJ licking blood off his gloves was disgusting and it portrays the exact opposite image that this sport has been striving for.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
BJ licking blood off his gloves was disgusting and it portrays the exact opposite image that this sport has been striving for.
Oh im sorry we all want to see a well mannered soft spoken fighter. My bad what am I thinking? lol.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Greg Jackson literally said it best for all these haters who think GSP only fights to win so he doesn't finish fights...

Finishing the fight is the safest way to win, so that's what they try to do every time. So yeah, it is about fighting to win, and finishing the fight ensures that. Thus, GSP always tries to finish his fights. People just act like because GSP is considered the best in the world he should be knocking everybody out.

My opinion is that the only people who find him boring are people who are haters. Weather they are out in the open about their hatred, or try to hide it behind some ridiculous argument. The truth is they are usually haters who are probably mad about GSP beating somebody they liked along the way.
That would be me. Also his frog accent does not make it easier for me to stomach him.. Frogs n grease.. Not my cup of tea.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:12 PM
rearnakedchoke

GSP is the best fighter right now and the most dominant fighter ... People don't find him boring. If they did, he wouldn't be selling ppv's like he does ... if he was boring, the co-main event would not have been struve vs mccorkle .. if he was boring, his fight wouldn't have been voted fight of the night ... like JB says, haters gonna hate ... the proof is there ...
Old 12-14-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:

I couldn't have said it better myself