Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 12-07-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default More drama for Floyd Mayweather

Kind of petty since it's just a poke, but where he was doing the poking could have been bad.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/12/07/floyd-...-vegas-nevada/
Quote:
Mayweather Charged with Battery for Face Poking

12/7/2010 11:35 AM PST by TMZ Staff

Floyd Mayweather has been charged with criminal battery in Nevada for allegedly -- and this is serious -- poking a man in the cheekbone with his finger ... TMZ has learned.

TMZ has obtained the criminal complaint -- in which cops say a private security officer named Shayne Smith told officers Mayweather went ballistic outside of his Las Vegas home on November 15 after Smith placed parking citations on two of Floyd's cars.

According to the documents, Smith alleges Mayweather screamed that the guard had "no f*cking business" touching his personal property -- before the boxer grabbed a citation from one of his cars and slapped it on Smith's patrol vehicle.

The document continues, "While lambasting Smith, Mayweather was allegedly jabbing his finger into the left side of Smith's cheek just below his eye. This willful and unlawful use of force and violence upon Smith caused redness and discoloration to the area which was battered by Mayweather."

Smith claims he drove out of the area to "de-escalate" the situation, immediately notified his boss ... and then took photos of his bruised up cheek.

So far, no comment from Floyd's camp.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Miss Foxy

I swear they just love to hate on Floyd!! Or am I in complete denial?

Last edited by Miss Foxy; 12-07-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Some people bring it on themselves while others go through life without such drama. Floyd chose to be in the limelight so that makes him a target, but it's also what's helped make him a multimillionaire. In this case, allegedly, the guy was just doing his job and Floyd chose to confront him with violence. Most people would go on about their business and fight the battle later.

Floyd is hated on a lot, but he also liked the positive attention like what HBO gave him in the 24/7 Series and when he does something wrong, especially his recent exploits, people are going to take notice of that as well.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

This is old news. It happened the day after the Pac/Marg fight and I brought it up in one of those threads.

On one hand, Floyd shouldn't even bother dealing with people like a parking enforcement officer. He's actually putting himself too out in the open to get nailed on petty lawsuits like this. However, I can imagine that this is a case of somebody getting enjoyment out of sticking parking violations on expensive cars they can't afford to drive, in neighborhoods they can't afford to live in. I'm sure Floyd pays enough in property taxes and HOA fees that he shouldn't have to worry about some minimum wage security guard coming on his property and touching his cars.

With that being said, Floyd has to realize that people are going to try and bait him, especially if they know he has a temper and a large bank account. Sonny Liston was constantly harassed by cops who were racists turds back in the 50's and 60's, and he used to respond by beating the crap out of them...all that did was get him jumped with billy clubs and thrown in jail. Then the press would paint Liston as the lowest of scumbags walking the earth, on a daily basis.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:57 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Some people bring it on themselves while others go through life without such drama. Floyd chose to be in the limelight so that makes him a target, but it's also what's helped make him a multimillionaire. In this case, allegedly, the guy was just doing his job and Floyd chose to confront him with violence. Most people would go on about their business and fight the battle later.

Floyd is hated on a lot, but he also liked the positive attention like what HBO gave him in the 24/7 Series and when he does something wrong, especially his recent exploits, people are going to take notice of that as well.
Sure, the guy is "just doing his job"...but that don't mean he wasn't being a prick or a jackass about it. If Floyd wanted to use "violence" on some petty security guard, I doubt we would be having the same discussion about a "poke" in the face.

Don't act like this is just people "taking notice" when he does something wrong. Floyd's haters literally go out of their way to make BS up about the man all the time, so let's not kid ourselves into thinking Floyd Mayweather gets all sorts of positive attention for the good things he does outside of the ring or even for his many accomplishments in the ring.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Sure, the guy is "just doing his job"...but that don't mean he wasn't being a prick or a jackass about it. If Floyd wanted to use "violence" on some petty security guard, I doubt we would be having the same discussion about a "poke" in the face.

Don't act like this is just people "taking notice" when he does something wrong. Floyd's haters literally go out of their way to make BS up about the man all the time, so let's not kid ourselves into thinking Floyd Mayweather gets all sorts of positive attention for the good things he does outside of the ring or even for his many accomplishments in the ring.
Well for what purpose did he receive the citations? The article doesn't mention that. Maybe the guy was just being a prick, but we don't know that from this article. Maybe Floyd had expired plates or something and should be held to the same standard as everybody else.

Yes, people make **** up about Floyd, nobody's denying that, but this isn't anything that's "made up BS". He gets little positive press, that's true, but he certainly hasn't done things recently in the main public's eye that are allowing the press to give them anything positive to report except the 1000 turkeys he gave away at Thanksgiving. That's nice stuff Unfortunately, the world chooses to focus on negative stuff, which sucks
Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Well for what purpose did he receive the citations? The article doesn't mention that. Maybe the guy was just being a prick, but we don't know that from this article. Maybe Floyd had expired plates or something and should be held to the same standard as everybody else.

Yes, people make **** up about Floyd, nobody's denying that, but this isn't anything that's "made up BS". He gets little positive press, that's true, but he certainly hasn't done things recently in the main public's eye that are allowing the press to give them anything positive to report except the 1000 turkeys he gave away at Thanksgiving. That's nice stuff Unfortunately, the world chooses to focus on negative stuff, which sucks
Well, as I said in my other post, this is an old story. It's only getting more attention today because the DA actually added the charges (which doesn't say anything one way or the other either).

The issue was supposedly over parking, and nobody is suggesting that Floyd shouldn't be held to the same standard as anybody else. In fact, I would argue that he is actually treated UNFAIRLY in a lot of cases. Nobody cared about "Pretty Boy" Floyd until he took on the "bad-boy" persona, just like nobody cared about how great of a guy Manny Pacquiao is until he had a b-side in Floyd to make things exciting. Good news is typically boring news that doesn't draw much attention. It's more exciting to write about the bad stuff, so I understand that aspect of it. However, even when the press was at it's most delusional stages of hatred towards Michael Jackson very few ever denied the talent and accomplishments of Jackson as a musician. With Floyd, even veteran boxing fans/writers spend more time trying to tear Floyd's resume down than actually praising the fact that we are witnessing one of the greatest boxers of all time.

My more specific point when it comes to this "poking" incident is that it's highly doubtful that Floyd got in his face simply because of the money involved in a fine. The guy was probably flexing his rent-a-cop muscles and was on Floyd's property. If there are HOA laws that Floyd was violating, they could have sent him a fine in the mail. Regardless of any of that, what man calls the cops over a "poke" and takes pictures of the "redness" that formed? That is just weak and screams of somebody looking to file a lawsuit.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

All good points. The bad boy persona is ultimately what made Floyd so wealthy. Without that DLH match, people would have still heard of him, but neither him nor Pac were mega stars until they fought DLH. He should keep his cool, but at the same time, people should just let the guy live his life. It's horrible the way celebrities are treated by parasites in this country.

I agree, it's VERY lame. It sucks that people can sue for pretty much anything and usually, at the very least, get some sort of settlement out of the deal. Tort reform would be nice, but we'll never see it.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
All good points. The bad boy persona is ultimately what made Floyd so wealthy. Without that DLH match, people would have still heard of him, but neither him nor Pac were mega stars until they fought DLH. He should keep his cool, but at the same time, people should just let the guy live his life. It's horrible the way celebrities are treated by parasites in this country.

I agree, it's VERY lame. It sucks that people can sue for pretty much anything and usually, at the very least, get some sort of settlement out of the deal. Tort reform would be nice, but we'll never see it.
You know I will be fair though too, Floyd has definitely brought a lot of his troubles on himself. There is no denying that. As corny as it sounds, he should realize one of the most basic lessons of life as often taught to us by Spider-Man Comics; " With great power, comes great responsibility".

At best, the last 2 years of boxing has become a circus that revolves around Mayweather and Pacquiao.

At worst, we've seen the downward spiral of a man's career, and possibly life, over a mental breakdown due to insecurities in terms of his own legacy.

One is par for the course, the other is just sad. I guess it's up to Pactards/Flomos to decide which one takes precedent in terms of legacy 20 years from now.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
I swear they just love to hate on Floyd!! Or am I in complete denial?
Agreed a bunch of Fu#$% lowlifes that cant make a living and looking for an easy buck!!!