Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 PM

Default Pete Sell?

How does the UFC determine whether to drop a fighter or not?

Pete "Drago" Sell is 2-4 in the UFC. His last fight was his first win after 4 losses. It was a decision against Josh Burkman. Previously, he lost 4 fights. One was a KO, two were TKOs, and one a decision. His last win before those 4 losses was in 2005!!! against Phil Baroni. Nor did he do so hot in The Ultimate Fighter when he was on.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 PM
rearnakedchoke

The ufc has no rhyme or reason to who they drop, nor should they ... in the end, they are a business ... if someone wins fights but is boring, the first time they lose, they may be out .... but if you go out there and people like watching you, you can be really bad like drago and still have a contract ... look at serra, after matt beats him, he will probably get dropped or get low level fights
Old 03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
mcdadeink

whoever brings them more money
Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 AM

As i said elsewhere, the UFC looks after fighters that 1) Bring in fans, 2) ones that show some loyalty 3) those who come out and fight, always and put on a good show e.g Chris Lytle, and in fairness, Drago does always put on a good fight 4) they certainly remember good deeds and from what i can see, if you step in late and help the UFC out if a fighter has pulled out, they usually sort you out.

That's my thoughts on it and applaud them for it really
Old 03-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
As i said elsewhere, the UFC looks after fighters that 1) Bring in fans, 2) ones that show some loyalty 3) those who come out and fight, always and put on a good show e.g Chris Lytle, and in fairness, Drago does always put on a good fight 4) they certainly remember good deeds and from what i can see, if you step in late and help the UFC out if a fighter has pulled out, they usually sort you out.

That's my thoughts on it and applaud them for it really
i agree, these tend to be the things the UFC looks for. Then again if you eff the UFC over they will cut you quick no matter how many fans you bring in or how exciting you are.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Krupp

It doesn't matter if they kept Sell now. I think they'll drop him once Matt Brown beats him down. And good riddance, I say. He was a terrible fighter, and I was never impressed with him, even when I first saw his fight with Charles McCarthy, who he couldn't even FINISH.

And Baroni? No offense to the new york badass, but he ain't exactly the greatest fighter in the world. Sell was never that great a fighter, and with luck, Brown will prove that in a few days.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
TheConcretekid

People love to hate him, its makes them watch. For UFC 98, half the people will be watching to see a living legend, the other half will watch to see aloud mouth New Yorker get his teeth knocked in.

If Tito didn't personally offend Dana White he'd probably still be around. You can make up for your record with exciting/risky fights or hype/smack talking.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:19 AM
atomdanger

UFC dropped Pete Sell already.

I guess they called him back for 1 fight because he does show heart and they needed a MW on the same level as Matt Brown