Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 12-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default What's Next for Matt Hughes? Hughes Thinks Retirement While I Hope for a Comeback

Just read this article & think it outlines my opinion on the subject remarkably well:

Quote:
What a difference one fight can make. Now more than ever it seems as if most MMA stars are judged and even judge themselves by their latest performance. With that in mind, Matt Hughes is probably in a pretty difficult situation right about now. The former long-reigning ufc Welterweight Champion is coming off of one of the biggest losses of his entire career, a 21-second destruction courtesy of longtime rival BJ Penn. And according to Hughes himself, the supremely-humbling loss to Penn may have convinced him to finally call it a career. Here are all the details.

Here are the highlights from a group of quotes assembled by MMA Weekly: ďI donít know what the plan is nowÖ Of course, the fight didnít go like I had planned itÖ Itís funny how styles make fightsÖ I donít know what Iíll do now. Iím definitely going to take the winter off and some of the spring. I had three fights this year, so Iíve just got some other things I want to do; but I will say that this was one big step closer to retirement for me.Ē

Itís unfortunate that Hughes was so thoroughly destroyed during his recent UFC 123 boutÖ unfortunate, but not exactly unexpected. Letís all be honest here: BJ Penn has always had better hands than Matt Hughes. With nothing left to lose, Penn had almost no choice but to go for broke from the get-go and try to land the big one on Hughes from the second the bell rang. Penn was reckless and it paid off, it could have gone the other way entirely, with Hughes using that recklessness to shoot in on Penn and score a takedown. Penn just ended up clipping Hughes at the most opportune time.

I really donít think Matt Hughes is done after this losing performance to BJ Penn. The man was on a three-fight win-streak before this bout, with two of those wins by stoppage. He beat two talented (and still dangerous, no matter what anyone else says) veterans in the form of Renzo Gracie and Matt Serra, and then he beat Ricardo Almeida, Renzoís disciple, at his own game, choking him out early in the first round. It may be true that Hughes is 3-3 in his last six outings, but in his entire career, heís only lost a total of eight times. Heís had over fifty fights as a professional, and he only loses to the best competition the UFC has to offer.

Ultimately, the only one who can decide the future for Matt Hughes is Matt Hughes himself. But Iíd sure like to see him get back in the Octagon. Perhaps Iím being selfish, or getting my hopes up too high, but I think Matt Hughes still has some fight left in him. Heíll go down as one of the best ever, of that I have no doubt. Iíd simply hate to see him end his career in this fashion. I sincerely hope that Hughes ultimately decides to go out with a roar rather than a whimper, and attempts one final comeback before his book is closed permanently.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Silverback

Time will tell, as will Matt, but I for one don't see him throwing in the towel because of a lucky strike. Matt and I cut up from time to time, and one of the movie quotes that he yells at me so often is, "You know I can", and yes I do Matt, I know you can, and I have a feeling, before your done, you will a few more times. Enjoy your time off, because when you step back in we will all be there.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
in his entire career, heís only lost a total of eight times. Heís had over fifty fights as a professional, and he only loses to the best competition the UFC has to offer.
I think that's pretty amazing!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:57 AM

dream scenario----

matt stays in shape, about next year around july or so he gets a call that bj has pulled out of the championship fight with gsp by an injury only a week out from the fight so matt gets to fight for title because no one else can,

matt fights and wins, then two and a half months later fights bj to defend his title, then immediately retires while still in the octagon

then he goes on to offer an all inclusive hunting trip to canada with him as a prize in a forum competition which by chance i happen to win and while on the trip I bag a 230" typical 14 point whitetail.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Primadawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
dream scenario----

matt stays in shape, about next year around july or so he gets a call that bj has pulled out of the championship fight with gsp by an injury only a week out from the fight so matt gets to fight for title because no one else can,

matt fights and wins, then two and a half months later fights bj to defend his title, then immediately retires while still in the octagon

then he goes on to offer an all inclusive hunting trip to canada with him as a prize in a forum competition which by chance i happen to win and while on the trip I bag a 230" typical 14 point whitetail.

then he goes on to offer an all inclusive shoe-shopping trip to NYC with him as a prize in a forum competition which by chance i happen to win and while on the trip, I bag a pair of Christian Laboutin platform slingbacks for half price, so i buy them in every color.

Hey...it's just as likely to happen as adam's dream...
Old 12-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadawn View Post

then he goes on to offer an all inclusive shoe-shopping trip to NYC with him as a prize in a forum competition which by chance i happen to win and while on the trip, I bag a pair of Christian Laboutin platform slingbacks for half price, so i buy them in every color.

platform slingbacks ???? wth? sounds like a john travolta retro movie or something
Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
dream scenario----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadawn View Post

then he goes on to offer an all inclusive year-long training program with him at the H.I.T. Squad as a prize in a forum competition which by chance i happen to win and while on the trip, I get cornered in my first professional fight by Matt, Robbie, Pena & Jerremy.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post

then he goes on to offer an all inclusive year-long training program with him at the H.I.T. Squad as a prize in a forum competition which by chance i happen to win and while on the trip, I get cornered in my first professional fight by Matt, Robbie, Pena & Jerremy.

ooh good one....
Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Just read this article & think it outlines my opinion on the subject remarkably well:
I hate how the writer quoted Matt's Blog but gave the credit to MMAWeekly.

Where's the link to the actual article?