Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 12-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Default BLOG: Third Fight with Penn

From Matt's Blog:

Quote:
First of all, I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving. I'm sure everybody else did the same, but once again I ate too much on this Thanksgiving. At noon, I went to my mom's house and had a great meal and then at 5 o'clock I went to my in-laws and had another meal. I ate so much at my mom's that I wasn't that hungry to eat at my in-laws, so I didn't fix much food for my evening meal; but it just seems like I ate desserts the whole time. So I had a great Thanksgiving and I hope everybody else did as well.

This week's been kind of busy for me as Robbie fights Matt Lindland on Saturday night for Strikeforce. Strikeforce is televised on Showtime, so if you've got time Saturday, tune in and wish Robbie some luck. I actually think it's a pretty good match up for Robbie and was surprised that Matt took the fight. So, let's hope Robbie gets his hand raised after his competition.

A lot of people have been asking about the fight and how I am doing. Of course, the fight didn't go like I had planned it. I knew BJ was going to be in shape, but I didn't know he was going to come in with a game plan and really look for my tendencies. I think BJ knew I was going to come in throwing my jab and I think he had a game plan for that. He hit me with a hard right hand that I never saw coming. It's funny how styles make fights and I'm not at all like Frankie Edgar. So it just kind of stinks that BJ came off two losses and then ended up beating me in less than 30 seconds. I knew BJ was going to be tough that first round. I was trying to get him into the second and the third round where I could wear on him, slow him down and soften him up a little bit; but it just didn't go that way.

I don't know what I'll do now. I'm definitely going to take the winter off and some of the spring. I had three fights this year, so I've just got some other things I want to do; but I will say that this was one big step closer to retirement for me.

A lot of times I don't have the gift of gab, but lucky for you guys my buddy Boomer does. Boomer was with me the whole week leading up to the BJ fight, and here is his story on what happened:
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6419

I will have to thank Papa Vino's for the post weigh in meal and also The Post Bar for hosting the afterparty and providing us with a place to get together after the fight.

My son, Brandon, was out there at the fights this time, so here are a few photos of him:

Here is the Bible verse for this week:
Quote:
The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever. (Isaiah 40:8)
-matt
Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 PM
rearnakedchoke

you will always have us as fans matt, win lose or draw ... you are already a hall of famer and a legend in the sport .. whatever you choose to do, your fans will always stand by you ...

WAR HUGHES!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:05 PM
SteveT

^^^ 100% agreed

I also want to thank you Matt for stopping right when you were leaving (i think you were actually half down the stairs to leave to head home) and you came back up and let me get a picture with you. That was amazing. It was my first UFC experience and it was incredible so thank you for that.

We will stand by you no matter what you decide to do

**although secretly I would love to watch you fight in Vegas in person along side the Team Hughes crew from the board **

Thanks again for everything you've for your fans.

and on a side note....WAR ROBBIE!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

No doubt, we will always support you no matter what you do!

WAR HUGHES!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:38 AM
lc87

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
No doubt, we will always support you no matter what you do!

WAR HUGHES!!!
I agree. I'm proud to call myself a hughes fan.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:39 AM

Matt, whatever you decide your fans are behind you, beside you, in front of you if needed. Had a great time in Detroit and even if your hand wasn't raised I walked away a bigger fan of yours than ever. Thanks for everything.
Brandon got to see his dad be a true champion and got to see how much we all look up to you.
Llama
edit: DEFINITELY ROOTING ROBBIE ON!! I'm surprised that Matt took the fight too. Robbie is a horrible match up for him.
Thanks to Boomer for keeping us forum folk in the loop.
Papa Vinos was awesome and Post Bar was great too!

[
Old 12-03-2010, 03:41 AM

You are NUMBER ONE Matt ALWAYS!!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 AM
SPIRITWARRIORSTV.COM

Whatever you decide Matt, I'll always support you.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:53 AM
ufcfan2

Whatever u decide to do I'm sure you will decide whats best for you and your family. Though I hope to see u fight at least couple more times,preferably Shields and Fitch

War Hughes/Robbie
Old 12-03-2010, 05:06 AM
canadiancountryboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
From Matt's Blog:
Win or lose Matt, I will always be a fan. May God bless and enjoy your time off.

As a side note, looks like Brandon is also a fan of Rampage as well as his famous Dad.