Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Complaining about boring fights is boring.

If you don't like grappling or proper strategy, I suggest watching amateur boxing or kickboxing.
Wurd.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Complaining about boring fights is boring.
Well.. on the Internet it can be kinda fun....

I like the Joe Rogan approach.. "Always talk about a fighter like he is standing right beside you."

Quote:
If you don't like grappling or proper strategy, I suggest watching amateur boxing or kickboxing.

I did some kick boxing when I was younger.. there is strategy.. just not much..

I am not a huge GSP fan at all.. and I actually like to watch him fight... I don't think a good grappling/wrestling/JuJitsu match is boring at all...

I have yet to see GSP not try and finish a fight. He TRIES... just dosen't do it very often.. and when you consider the competition.. that's not a bad thing.

The fact that the "lay and pray"... boring... "fight safe".. fight not to lose.. GSP.. put such a hurting on Baby Jay.. that he couldn't answer for a final round.. says much about him "fighting not to lose"..

Could he be more aggressive??? Maybe...
Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Well.. on the Internet it can be kinda fun....

I like the Joe Rogan approach.. "Always talk about a fighter like he is standing right beside you."

I did some kick boxing when I was younger.. there is strategy.. just not much..

I am not a huge GSP fan at all.. and I actually like to watch him fight... I don't think a good grappling/wrestling/JuJitsu match is boring at all...

I have yet to see GSP not try and finish a fight. He TRIES... just dosen't do it very often.. and when you consider the competition.. that's not a bad thing.

The fact that the "lay and pray"... boring... "fight safe".. fight not to lose.. GSP.. put such a hurting on Baby Jay.. that he couldn't answer for a final round.. says much about him "fighting not to lose"..

Could he be more aggressive??? Maybe...
I totally agree Spirit.

Also, I wasn't saying boxing or kickboxing has no strategy, I was just implying that amateur fighters tend to go for broke and are less refined. We also know that everybody who complains about boring fights never complain when they see wild KO's, and there are quite a few of those at the amateur level.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM
TDPARKASH

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm a GSP fan and I approve this message.
LOL I also approve this message

Why dont people understand that this is a sport?. Where the objective is to out point your opponent and outsmart them all while inflicting the most damage and receive the least amount of damage in the process!!!!

That is why Floyd is the best in his sport right now.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
^^^
dana got owned
No...Dana has a problem with a few guys from the Jackson camp, and is branding them all with the same brush.

Doesnt anyone remember Dana White and The American Kickboxing Academy Saga?

I'm sure Jon Fitch still remembers that. its a similar thing...and never mind statistics...if I were Greg Jackson, i'd identify the few individuals causing this, and work with them to modify their styles to appease...and they only need to show effort..I'm sorry, but if Loyoto Machida, the worlds most boring fighters, can change to make his style a little more exciting through sheer effort, anyone can.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
Why dont people understand that this is a sport?. Where the objective is to out point your opponent and outsmart them all while inflicting the most damage and receive the least amount of damage in the process!!!!
I agree with you Javier, but I also understand why some people don't.

A lot of people, especially mainstream fans, are not that attached to fight sports, be it boxing or MMA. They don't care about the history, or about the technical mastery that, more times than not, goes into being an elite fighter. What those people want to see is exciting fights, where ultimately somebody is stopped in a violent manner.

When you use the term "out-point", that makes a lot of fans cringe. They think fighters should always fight to go for the knockout or submission, even if it means they have to step outside of their gameplan to do it. For the fighters, that is a double-edged sword, but those fans don't care about that. Their mentality is "I paid money, now give me what I want". That is fine, to a CERTAIN degree, but almost every fan who uses that argument takes it overboard.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Doesnt anyone remember Dana White and The American Kickboxing Academy Saga
I do, and Dana was mad because they didn't want to sign their likeness rights away for the rest of their lives...

He even went so far as to say "f**k Cain Velasquez"...
Old 11-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post

Thats only half the definition of a sport.

Sport is also done for Entertainment purposes....Especially when its showcased.

The UFC are not just a sports brand...they are a retail outlet...where people pay for a product.

So the challenge is harder then trying to win. The challenge is to be both entertaining AND to win...and lets make this REALLY clear...you can be entertaining on the ground, as well as Stand up.

But you have to constantly engage...it is NO GOOD dancing around on the feet...and it is NO GOOD laying on top of someone. But Punching and Kicking are fabulous...and trying to get a submission is magnificent.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
He even went so far as to say "f**k Cain Velasquez"...

Someone should remind him of that one