Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:44 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
they could call it Crusier Weight...

The way you say that is as if you invented it...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
The way you say that is as if you invented it...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
Default

I really wish they would split the heavyweight division into two classes, perhaps using 235lbs. as the dividing line. Currently, smaller heavyweights (or former heavyweights) like Couture, CroCop, Vera, etc. are at a distinct disadvantage against the Lesnars and Cain V's of the division. A 60 lb. weight spread is simply too large.
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I really wish they would split the heavyweight division into two classes, perhaps using 235lbs. as the dividing line. Currently, smaller heavyweights (or former heavyweights) like Couture, CroCop, Vera, etc. are at a distinct disadvantage against the Lesnars and Cain V's of the division. A 60 lb. weight spread is simply too large.


As Dave said....

"they will call it Cruiser-weight, and it was good".



I crack myself up sometimes...this is definitely one of them...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 PM
bj44's Avatar
bj44 bj44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I really wish they would split the heavyweight division into two classes, perhaps using 235lbs. as the dividing line. Currently, smaller heavyweights (or former heavyweights) like Couture, CroCop, Vera, etc. are at a distinct disadvantage against the Lesnars and Cain V's of the division. A 60 lb. weight spread is simply too large.
cain v who is about 240 come fight time could make 235 easy.. so i dont really see the point
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
cain v who is about 240 come fight time could make 235 easy.. so i dont really see the point
I'm hoping you were imprecise with the comment and meant to say "agree with" rather than "see". The point is that 60 pounds is a huge weight spread for a division and is forcing talented smaller heavyweights to drop muscle to make light heavyweight or be at a severe competitive disadvantage. Whether the division is split into 2 or 3 divisions or whether the dividing line should be 225 lb. or 235 lb. or some other weight can be debated. There are a number of heavyweights who cut down to the 265 lb. limit - Lesnar, Sylvia, Nelson, Carwin, etc. How does mentioning that Cain V. is 240 lbs. (actually 244 lbs. for last fight) negate the fact that a large spread in a weight class puts some or many fighters at a competitive disadvantage? Cain V. is exceptional. He won despite being at a disadvantage. That does not mean he was not fighting at a disadvantage. B. J. Penn is a lightweight but could probably win fights at middleweight and even light heavyweight. He was once Welterweight champ. That doesn't mean that the UFC should get rid of weight classes or that Penn would be as successful at middleweight or welterweight as he would be in his natural lightweight division (despite losing 2 decision losses). J.B. gave a reason why he doesn't want more weight divisions (Post #5). He disagrees with my suggestion but I'm sure he sees the reason why I am making the suggestion.
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-11-2010, 10:50 PM
bj44's Avatar
bj44 bj44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I'm hoping you were imprecise with the comment and meant to say "agree with" rather than "see". The point is that 60 pounds is a huge weight spread for a division and is forcing talented smaller heavyweights to drop muscle to make light heavyweight or be at a severe competitive disadvantage. Whether the division is split into 2 or 3 divisions or whether the dividing line should be 225 lb. or 235 lb. or some other weight can be debated. There are a number of heavyweights who cut down to the 265 lb. limit - Lesnar, Sylvia, Nelson, Carwin, etc. How does mentioning that Cain V. is 240 lbs. (actually 244 lbs. for last fight) negate the fact that a large spread in a weight class puts some or many fighters at a competitive disadvantage? Cain V. is exceptional. He won despite being at a disadvantage. That does not mean he was not fighting at a disadvantage. B. J. Penn is a lightweight but could probably win fights at middleweight and even light heavyweight. He was once Welterweight champ. That doesn't mean that the UFC should get rid of weight classes or that Penn would be as successful at middleweight or welterweight as he would be in his natural lightweight division (despite losing 2 decision losses). J.B. gave a reason why he doesn't want more weight divisions (Post #5). He disagrees with my suggestion but I'm sure he sees the reason why I am making the suggestion.
yes but weight advantages mean less the more heavy the fighters are...... a 150 fighter fighting a 180 pound fighter is at more of a disadvantage then a 240 pound fighter fighting a 270 +...

Cain v isnt the only exceptions to the rule... look at crop cop and fedor in there prime beating guys several times larger... Tim sylvia one of the super hw's you mentioned got destroued by Randy and fedor who both are essentially light hw's... Plus the fact that the hw division is to shallow to plit up anyway... You want a division with just carwin and lesnar and no other fighters in it???
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-12-2010, 04:57 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I'm hoping you were imprecise with the comment and meant to say "agree with" rather than "see". The point is that 60 pounds is a huge weight spread for a division and is forcing talented smaller heavyweights to drop muscle to make light heavyweight or be at a severe competitive disadvantage. Whether the division is split into 2 or 3 divisions or whether the dividing line should be 225 lb. or 235 lb. or some other weight can be debated. There are a number of heavyweights who cut down to the 265 lb. limit - Lesnar, Sylvia, Nelson, Carwin, etc. How does mentioning that Cain V. is 240 lbs. (actually 244 lbs. for last fight) negate the fact that a large spread in a weight class puts some or many fighters at a competitive disadvantage? Cain V. is exceptional. He won despite being at a disadvantage. That does not mean he was not fighting at a disadvantage. B. J. Penn is a lightweight but could probably win fights at middleweight and even light heavyweight. He was once Welterweight champ. That doesn't mean that the UFC should get rid of weight classes or that Penn would be as successful at middleweight or welterweight as he would be in his natural lightweight division (despite losing 2 decision losses). J.B. gave a reason why he doesn't want more weight divisions (Post #5). He disagrees with my suggestion but I'm sure he sees the reason why I am making the suggestion.

I actually don't personally have a problem with adding some weight classes, but what I was saying is that I don't think we are gonna see it happen in the UFC in the near future. My last post was really just poking some fun at Dave.

There are positives and negatives on both sides of the discussion. Cruiserweight could make sense, but I'm not sold on junior and super divisions needing to be implemented across the board. There just isn't enough talent to spread around to legitimize it right now, and I think it would just muddy the waters in terms of getting the best fights negotiated at a time when MMA is booming with popularity.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Cruiserweight could make sense,
I want Royalties...Get me Royalties

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-12-2010, 06:08 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I want Royalties...Get me Royalties

You already have Royals in England, that should be enough.

Especially since you didn't invent Cruiserweight.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.