Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 11-28-2010, 05:57 PM

Default Marquez vs Katsidis

J.B did you catch this fight? Marquez looked very good in my opinion stopping Katsidis in the 9th. Although it kind of pisses me off that he has gotten dropped by that same punch many times now.

I would love to see the 3rd fight with Pacquiao.

Hey, maybe this time Manny will actually win LOL.

Yes I'm one of the ones who thinks Marquez did enough to edge out the Victory in both fights.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:37 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I am actually disappointed because I was planning on watching both this card and the Froch/Abraham fight, and then I ended up missing both of them.

I will be checking it out tonight or tomorrow, but I heard Marquez fought like a warrior again. He's a tough guy, but Katsidis doesn't have nearly the pop in his shots that Manny has. I think Manny would probably finish JMM this time, although I know that is tall order because nobody has been able to do it, including Pacquiao, but nothing would surprise me in that fight unless Marquez came out and stopped Manny.

Marquez has been a tough style matchup for Pacquiao in their previous fights, but this is a different time and Freddie Roach has already taken a play right out of the Mayweather playbook by insisting that any fight with Marquez will only take place at 147. Given that JMM came in at 135 against Katsidis, that has a lot of fans crying foul and calling for a 3rd fight at 140. Marquez wasted no time in responding to Roach by saying that 147 was fine with him, but after the drubbing Mayweather laid on him last year, I have a feeling he's biting off more than he can chew by stepping up again in weight.

Typically, it's expected from the fans after a good night of fights to hear the last guy who wins get propped up for a shot against the best. Last week it was Sergio Martinez, this week it's Marquez, and even Andre Berto to some degree. Honestly, I don't know what Arum and Manny are planning now, because they really could go either a multitude of ways.

Providing a fight with Floyd DOESN'T happen this Spring, I would still guess that Shane Mosley is Manny's next fight. What's funny is, as I was typing that last sentence, I decided to check out boxingscene and low and behold, Arum has spoken...

Quote:
“I don't worry about who the bloggers think is the best opponent,” Arum said by telephone from Las vegas Sunday night. “I really don't care the writers say or even what the hardcore boxing followers say when it comes to this. I know we need to pick the opponent who is the most familiar to to the casual sports fan, the casual boxing fan who cannot name all the fighters.

“I did not watch the (Juan Manuel) Marquez fight as I was at a dinner party here in town. One guy there asked who was fighting on TV and somebody said, 'Juan Manuel...' So the guy says to me, 'How come you're not there at the fight, isn't he one of your fighters?' Obviously, this guy didn't know the difference between Marquez and my guy, Juan Manuel Lopez, the kid from Puerto Rico.

“It's not about Marquez's boxing ability, blah, blah, blah, it is all about the marketing of the fight.”

If you're reading between the lines here, then either Arum is already angling to knock down the Mexican counterpuncher's asking price for the trilogy bout against Megamanny or he is, indeed, more inclined to make the April or May bout with American Sugar Shane Mosley.
Ahh, that's the Arum we know so well. Blatantly telling us as fans that he could care less about our views on the integrity of the sport, and that's it's all about what is marketable. Well, at least he is actually being honest, but then again anytime Bob Arum has convinced you he is telling the truth, he is usually lying...so you make the call....

Truth is, he knows that both Mosley and Marquez are his biggest draws outside of Floyd so it's gotta be one of those two. If they fight Mosley, the criticism will be much higher than if they fight Marquez, and they have a lot more to lose against Shane.

Mosley is viewed being washed up at this point, but he's still a tough guy with heavy hands who could present problems on the inside. If Shane were to win, it would be a disaster for Pacquiao. On the flipside, Marquez still has the controversial decisions with Manny to lean back on and he has now been propped up again due to his extraordinary ability to recover from big shots. Everybody crapped on Floyd for not finishing Marquez, well as we have seen time and time again throughout Marquez's career, he just keeps coming. Manny couldn't stop him before, and nobody has ever been able to do it.

Floyd was in Miami with Don King over the weekend, and Arum also commented on that...

Quote:
Todd (DuBoef) tried to reach out to Floyd by phone but contact could not be made. I think Floyd is having another flirtation with (Don) King which is good for me.”
I think there has been some inside talk as to what the real scoop with Floyd is and Arum knows more than he is trying to let on. He and King have zero love loss, but they are also old men who know that working together at this stage in their life is much more profitable, and less stressful on their blood-pressure, than bickering over beef from decades past.

Arum is a lawyer, and has connections all over the world. He likely knows what the deal with Floyd's legal issues are, and what he is or is not looking at. The fact that he hasn't just said "screw Mayweather" all together, makes me think he knows the fight is going to happen, and it's just a matter of time. I could be wrong, but that's what I think is going on.

For all we know, Floyd and Bob could have buried the hatchet and decided to drag this out over the last year to create the ultimate reality show. One that we actually think is real, and happening everyday in the press. Then when it finally culminates at the end of 2011, it will be almost the perfect amount of time for it to have festered into being likely the biggest fight in the history of boxing. Next fall will be two whole years since Floyd returned from retirement and fought Marquez, and while we all would have loved to see the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight a long time ago, it still would be the perfect amount of buildup while both guys are still in their prime.

Arum has been doing this for so long, he knows how to make a super-fight, and this is likely the last one of this caliber he will get to promote. I think Bob is going to make this fight happen, but as I have said so many times, when it comes to promoters like Arum, King, and even Dana White you never know what to totally believe, but you always know what is total bulls**t.

Last edited by J.B.; 11-29-2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Miss Foxy

I am so sick of Mexican fighters being losers!! Grrr.. Where oh where is my Floyd??
Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Foxy View Post
Where oh where is my Floyd??
Hanging with the wrong crowd...

Old 11-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Hanging with the wrong crowd...

Now he's starting to piss me off... It's called "wasted talent."
Old 11-29-2010, 05:22 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

If it gets the fight made, let Arum and King have their last time in the spotlight. Nobody can deny what they have done for the sport as promoters, but in the same respect, they have both been a part of some pretty shady crap over the years. Floyd doesn't need Don King or Golden Boy, there are investors all over the world ready to pony up money to the tune of $100 million dollars to get this fight made, but adding King to the mix is like adding drama because of his long time rivalry with Arum. The deeper this gets, the more contrived it all seems.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:35 AM

I really Hope Floyd gets to fight Pacquiao soon

I need for Floyd to prove everyone wrong, Everyone who calls him a chicken, Everyone who hates on him because he has pretty much everything, everyone one who says hes flat footed and has lost a step but above all I cant wait to see what Freddie has to say once Floyd beats Manny

If Manny Fights Mosley instead, I really hope Mosley beats him and he never gets a chance to Fight Floyd. I know there's a slim chance of Mosley beating Pacquiao but o well

If that happens then Mayweather vs Martinez would be awesome!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I really Hope Floyd gets to fight Pacquiao soon

I need for Floyd to prove everyone wrong, Everyone who calls him a chicken, Everyone who hates on him because he has pretty much everything, everyone one who says hes flat footed and has lost a step but above all I cant wait to see what Freddie has to say once Floyd beats Manny If Manny Fights Mosley instead, I really hope Mosley beats him and he never gets a chance to Fight Floyd. I know there's a slim chance of Mosley beating Pacquiao but o well

If that happens then Mayweather vs Martinez would be awesome!

True!! True!! Now we need to just get him away from Don King!! lol!!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
J.B did you catch this fight? Marquez looked very good in my opinion stopping Katsidis in the 9th. Although it kind of pisses me off that he has gotten dropped by that same punch many times now.

I would love to see the 3rd fight with Pacquiao.

Hey, maybe this time Manny will actually win LOL.

Yes I'm one of the ones who thinks Marquez did enough to edge out the Victory in both fights.
Show me the record book that states Manny did not win.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Show me the record book that states Manny did not win.
Hey pelioņero I think Javier was just being sarcastic..