Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
With this and the greasegate crap, you are being way too over-dramatic.

What GSP said to Matt was not the "single worst thing he's ever done". It was nothing more than a situation instigated by the UFC brass. What makes the moment memorable was GSP's hilarious accent, and how mild and toned down a line like "I'm not impressed by your performance" is compared to guys like Frank Mir coming out and saying he's gonna make Lesnar the first death in the octagon, or Rampage Jackson talking about "black on black crime". I doubt GSP feels mocked when people laugh at it, because he obviously laughs at it himself.

GSP is not impressed with your analysis...lol...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x2HzpIHo-w
The point is. That is what he is remembered for. Its easy to think of him in lots of different situations now...but in say thirty years time...when few people remember him...mark my words...people will be saying that who dont even know whats so funny about it....

Not what I would want to be remember for, it has to be said.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
My favorite was a month or so ago when Dave somewhat questioned the legitimacy of Cain's "Brown Pride" due to his inability to speak in the ancient languages of the tribes using hieroglyphics.

I remember that

HEY Hieroglyphics can still be pronounced in a phonetic way. They arent just codes, they are written languages.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
The point is. That is what he is remembered for. Its easy to think of him in lots of different situations now...but in say thirty years time...when few people remember him...mark my words...people will be saying that who dont even know whats so funny about it....

Not what I would want to be remember for, it has to be said.
Do you actually believe that in 30 years that is ALL people are going to remember about Georges St. Pierre?

Now, I'm gonna call you out, because you are being ridiculous. You can't have it both ways Dave. Matt Hughes is a legend of this sport and even if GSP lost his next 10 fights, he will still go down in the history books as the guy who dethroned Matt during his epic run as champion. Not to mention, GSP has basically cleaned out the division since then, including BJ Penn for a second time. GSP has already started to cement his legacy as one of the most dominant fighters the sport has ever seen, and no matter what happens he will always be remembered.

If you really think that one liner is gonna hang around for 30 years and that's all people will remember, you need to do some more research on the history of the fight-game. Real fight fans who are educated in the history of the sport for as long as 30 years will be talking about the fights and their relevance in terms of a historical sense. MMA is still young in the mainstream, so it's legacy is still being built, but it's not any different than Boxing no matter how much elitist MMA fans stick their fingers in their ears and try to ignore it.

Sure, I will remember that line from GSP in 30 years, but I also remember Mike Tyson telling Lennox Lewis he was going to eat his babies. Still, when I think of Mike Tyson, that's not my first thought or hardly my only thought. People don't think of Muhammad Ali and say "oh yeah, that guy who called Joe Frazier a gorilla", and when people talk about Roy Jones Jr now or in 10 years from now, the first thing out of their mouth is not gonna be "remember his rap-album?".
Old 11-27-2010, 10:54 PM
que

i do NOT want to celebrate georges st pierre. i admit he is a good athlete but he has no personality, and always fights the same decisive boring way for the past 2 or 3 years now. there are MANY other people worth celebrating before this walking/talking robot.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Do you actually believe that in 30 years that is ALL people are going to remember about Georges St. Pierre?

Now, I'm gonna call you out, because you are being ridiculous. You can't have it both ways Dave. Matt Hughes is a legend of this sport and even if GSP lost his next 10 fights, he will still go down in the history books as the guy who dethroned Matt during his epic run as champion. Not to mention, GSP has basically cleaned out the division since then, including BJ Penn for a second time. GSP has already started to cement his legacy as one of the most dominant fighters the sport has ever seen, and no matter what happens he will always be remembered.

If you really think that one liner is gonna hang around for 30 years and that's all people will remember, you need to do some more research on the history of the fight-game. Real fight fans who are educated in the history of the sport for as long as 30 years will be talking about the fights and their relevance in terms of a historical sense. MMA is still young in the mainstream, so it's legacy is still being built, but it's not any different than Boxing no matter how much elitist MMA fans stick their fingers in their ears and try to ignore it.

Sure, I will remember that line from GSP in 30 years, but I also remember Mike Tyson telling Lennox Lewis he was going to eat his babies. Still, when I think of Mike Tyson, that's not my first thought or hardly my only thought. People don't think of Muhammad Ali and say "oh yeah, that guy who called Joe Frazier a gorilla", and when people talk about Roy Jones Jr now or in 10 years from now, the first thing out of their mouth is not gonna be "remember his rap-album?".
Umm...did you not read the bit where I said, remove all things Matt Hughes Related?

Yes Georges dethroned Matt...and that will be remembered...but thats part of the way that Matt props up Georges legacy...NOT the other way round...whereas I think this one liner...already many people might have forgotten who Georges said it too and why...its entered the MMA jargon...in 30 years time, removing all thing Matt Hughes, or BJ Penn related will leave Georges a single line in History

Unless of course, his fall from grace is dramatic...if he goes out in a blaze of glory to someone not picked to win and never comes back, if he dies either inside the octagon during a fight, or outside before he retires, or if some dramatic and contriversial career ending injury were to befall him...or if he was found to test positive for Steroids...I suppose those might be more remembered.

Greasegate has largely gone away...and the Exposure on TUF has helpped that. TUF changes the coaches career always more then the contestants, ALWAYS...particularly if their is a ballence of good and evil. Matt Serra was considered alright before he went alongside Matt Hughes, Jens Pulver was the forgotten founder, until he stood next to BJ Penn and history was bought back to life. Franklins popularity went mainstream, Koschecks popularity got smitted off the face of the earth. Exposure like that either does great good, or great damage...and even if its a false display by editors...nine times out of ten that perception becomes reality.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
i do NOT want to celebrate georges st pierre. i admit he is a good athlete but he has no personality, and always fights the same decisive boring way for the past 2 or 3 years now. there are MANY other people worth celebrating before this walking/talking robot.
but I thought you LOVED him

Old 11-27-2010, 10:59 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
After he beat BJ you said he was likely the greatest UFC fighter in history.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:25 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Umm...did you not read the bit where I said, remove all things Matt Hughes Related?

Yes Georges dethroned Matt...and that will be remembered...but thats part of the way that Matt props up Georges legacy...NOT the other way round...whereas I think this one liner...already many people might have forgotten who Georges said it too and why...its entered the MMA jargon...in 30 years time, removing all thing Matt Hughes, or BJ Penn related will leave Georges a single line in History

Unless of course, his fall from grace is dramatic...if he goes out in a blaze of glory to someone not picked to win and never comes back, if he dies either inside the octagon during a fight, or outside before he retires, or if some dramatic and contriversial career ending injury were to befall him...or if he was found to test positive for Steroids...I suppose those might be more remembered.

Greasegate has largely gone away...and the Exposure on TUF has helpped that. TUF changes the coaches career always more then the contestants, ALWAYS...particularly if their is a ballence of good and evil. Matt Serra was considered alright before he went alongside Matt Hughes, Jens Pulver was the forgotten founder, until he stood next to BJ Penn and history was bought back to life. Franklins popularity went mainstream, Koschecks popularity got smitted off the face of the earth. Exposure like that either does great good, or great damage...and even if its a false display by editors...nine times out of ten that perception becomes reality.
You didn't say "remove all things Matt Hughes" in the post I quoted. You said "when few people remember him", essentially implying that GSP is destined for failure in this sport. Also, doesn't that imply in the same breath that few people will remember Matt Hughes? Because nobody who remembers Hughes is gonna forget Georges, or BJ for that matter either. All 3 have propped each others legacies up in some ways. If in 30 years time, only a "few" people remember Matt, GSP, and BJ, then MMA will have died off in my honest opinion, because to think GSP's quote would live on, but only a few people would remember him just doesn't compute.

That one-liner isn't something that is so embedded into MMA culture that it will survive 30 years and be the only other thing besides Matt Hughes and BJ Penn that people will talk about when they talk about GSP. Also, believe it or not, two of Matt's biggest wins in his own career have come against BJ and GSP, so it goes both ways. It takes two to tango, as they say. Again, it's like you are speaking as if to say GSP is definitely going to fall into the depths of obscurity, when you just don't know, and that is highly unlikely.

I can name many distinct and iconic quotes from fighters of the past who held far less relevance historically in the fight game than GSP has already secured, and it's still not going to be the first thing people think of when you say the name of the fighter. "I'm not impressed by your performance" was not that big of a deal. It's not something that will ring through the annals of time like; "Float like a butterfly, and sting like bee". It was just a silly thing partially fueled by the UFC that was fun to laugh at in the moment, and it's made for some light humorous references from time to time (see GSP interrupts Taylor Swift - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozYTYLEer2I). Besides that, the biggest part that makes that one-liner relevant is GSP's accent makes it hilarious. If nobody knows who GSP is 30 years from now, wouldn't that kinda kill the hilarity?

I can honestly only think of one fighter in history who people both inside and outside the realm of the hardcore fanbase of fight fans can quote without knowing who it is, and that is Muhammad Ali. I highly doubt GSP will ever become the legend that Ali is in terms of fighting (a doubt that I can't possibly stress enough), but I would bet my bank account that he will never be remembered for any of his quotes in the way Ali is. There will be people who remember, but folks aren't gonna be saying "not impressed by your performance" 30 years from now the moment they think of GSP. Granted, I will admit that with the progression of technology, and websites like youtube, it will make it easier in the future for people to go back and view that incident, but when I am 58 years old if I am wrong, I will give you a ring from my cozy house in the mountains that I will hopefully have retired to by then and admit defeat.

Last edited by J.B.; 11-28-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: extra pwning : )
Old 11-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
You didn't say "remove all things Matt Hughes" in the post I quoted. You said "when few people remember him", essentially implying that GSP is destined for failure in this sport. Also, doesn't that imply in the same breath that few people will remember Matt Hughes? Because nobody who remembers Hughes is gonna forget Georges, or BJ for that matter either. All 3 have propped each others legacies up in some ways. If in 30 years time, only a "few" people remember Matt, GSP, and BJ, then MMA will have died off in my honest opinion, because to think GSP's quote would live on, but only a few people would remember him just doesn't compute.

That one-liner isn't something that is so embedded into MMA culture that it will survive 30 years and be the only other thing besides Matt Hughes and BJ Penn that people will talk about when they talk about GSP. Also, believe it or not, two of Matt's biggest wins in his own career have come against BJ and GSP, so it goes both ways. It takes two to tango, as they say. Again, it's like you are speaking as if to say GSP is definitely going to fall into the depths of obscurity, when you just don't know, and that is highly unlikely.

I can name many distinct and iconic quotes from fighters of the past who held far less relevance historically in the fight game than GSP has already secured, and it's still not going to be the first thing people think of when you say the name of the fighter. "I'm not impressed by your performance" was not that big of a deal. It's not something that will ring through the annals of time like; "Float like a butterfly, and sting like bee". It was just a silly thing partially fueled by the UFC that was fun to laugh at in the moment, and it's made for some light humorous references from time to time (see GSP interrupts Taylor Swift - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozYTYLEer2I). Besides that, the biggest part what makes that one-liner relevant is GSP's accent makes it hilarious. If nobody knows who GSP is 30 years from now, wouldn't that kinda kill the hilarity?

I can honestly only think of one fighter in history who people both inside and outside the realm of the hardcore fanbase of fight fans can quote without knowing who it is, and that is Muhammad Ali. I highly doubt GSP will ever become the legend that Ali is in terms of fighting (a doubt that I can't possibly stress enough), but I would bet my bank account that he will never be remembered for any of his quotes in the way Ali is. There will be people who remember, but folks aren't gonna be saying "not impressed by your performance" 30 years from now the moment they think of GSP. Granted, I will admit that with the progression of technology, and websites like youtube, it will make it easier in the future for people to go back and view that incident, but when I am 58 years old if I am wrong, I will give you a ring from my cozy house in the mountains that I will hopefully have retired to by then and admit defeat.
1) Sorry...It was a continuation of my earlier point where I was saying that there is nothing memorable, or truely Georges about his reigns at Welterweight that doesnt involve BJ Penn or Matt Hughes....And NO GSP doesnt prop up the legacy of either of the other two...they are distinct in many outstanding feats completely separate of GSP...I was trying to say that without Penn and Hughes, GSP is NOT that remarkable, and thus not memorable...I didnt say he was destined for the toilet or for the bin...I did however use a case in point, which was one of the few purely GSP things that were memorable about him, along with Greasegate, but that TUF had muted that one successfully.

Oh...btw..You better remember to phone me in 30 years time...coz at 10pm GMT on 27th of November 2040, I shall be sitting by my phone...and if it dont ring...I'm going to do a "rant against JB" video
Old 11-28-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Yeah, I got bored about 3 minutes in and stopped watching.
3 minutes! You obviously have a higher boredom threshhold than me.