Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Celebrating Georges Saint Pierre

Its a nice video, the last of a five parter I believe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzDLbMHIFkY

Samurai...actually means "He who Serves" NOT Perfection...but dont lets burst his bubble Very Taoist "by wanting nothing you gain all" LOL
Old 11-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Georges is one Powerful Beast!
Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Very Taoist "by wanting nothing you gain all" LOL
So how does getting on your hands and knees and begging for a title shot on a live PPV fit into that philosophy?
Old 11-27-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:

Samurai...actually means "He who Serves" NOT Perfection...but dont lets burst his bubble Very Taoist "by wanting nothing you gain all" LOL
There are four more of these? All of Georges? I didn't even make it all the way through this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
So how does getting on your hands and knees and begging for a title shot on a live PPV fit into that philosophy?
Good point, good question, good memory.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
tee hee
Old 11-27-2010, 01:24 PM
bradwright

Quote:
who ever said it did ?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
EXACTLY

I dont think Georges understand much about the TRUE philosophy of Samurai at any rate...I think he just likes a modified version, with a few rather open ended words like "loyalty" and "honour" which unless defined, can be reduced to...cheating and greasing

But I liked HOW it was made...even if its rather hard to squash to french canadian into an oriental girdle
Old 11-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
There are four more of these? All of Georges? I didn't even make it all the way through this one.
Yeah and NOT ONE mention GreaseGate in ANY OF THEM.

You can tell his defining moment was beating Matt Hughes because collectively there seems to be almost as much Matt as Georges in all his highlights What does it say about you, when your only true defining point is beating a man who you've trained your entire career to emulate...and even then it takes you three attempts to truely nail victory.

See Hughes might be a dominant Champion...but you cant say his whole career was defined by having beaten only one person in repatition. Georges is like a Hughes-wannabe...BUT he lacks the character and charisma to be anything more then a set of skills...usually aimed at one of two people.

Matt Completely independant of Georges is Great...But Georges whole Greatness is based on the Conquest of Hughes. Remove Hughes and all trace of his interaction with Georges...and GSP is diminished to a well meaning guy with plenty of potential, lots of skills, but full of mental holes. Whether he wants to or not, Hughes still props up Saint Pierres whole reign...whenever GSP cant finish someone who he really, on skill alone, should....we are reminded..."oh yes...but he can beat Hughes and Penn" ...oh...thats okay then...

So together Matt Hughes and BJ Penn basically CREATE Georges. Matt Hughes is the bench mark for his skills, Matt Hughes is the person he tries so desperately to copy (some of the things he said after gaining the title, or officially, are like he's reading a script taken from after Matt Wins) and Penn is the Character challenge for him, The one who keeps asking whether Georges really did win their first bout, the one who threatens to take everything he's learned away from him, the one who drives him to openly cheat, in order to defend what he's learned. Now he's got extra exposure during TUF to compensate for his loss of shares following GreaseGate against a guy its not hard to look the epitome of characteristic Greatness against...we can go back to remembering Georges Saint Pierre Vs Matt Hughes (the man who made him) and Georges Saint Pierre Vs BJ Penn (the man who validates him)

Where in that is Georges himself? I do actually pity him...because I think had he avoided Matt Hughes/GSP 2, and had Matt lost the championship to anyone else...even Penn...then Georges Ascension would have been all him...and he could have been likened unto Hughes, without that likeness consuming him. You know, it would be a compliment, without being a complete point of reference....and I think he DID have the capacity to pull that off...but now its impossible...Even if Matt Hughes retired tommorow...its too late...the aura of Hughes cant be shaken off...Even IF Matt were to fight him, and beat him, and at title level, and then to defend against him, and win best of five...It wouldnt change the fact that one man made him, and he can never now be his own.

Case in point guys....Georges will forever be remembered by the phrase "im not impressed by your performance" the whole online MMA community use that phrase now when talking about any bad fight, they do it by mocking what Georges said to Matt...its not a compliment...and it comes up in totally unconnected circumstances.

When Matt Hughes and Georges Saint Pierre have both long gone, People wont remember GreaseGate, they wont remember Matt Serra winning, but they WILL remember what Georges said to Matt that night. It was the single worst thing he's ever done...and its been immortalized

Last edited by Tyburn; 11-27-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 PM
logrus

Quote:

The Samurai's name implies "to serve" but their way of life is the Bushido, which ties in with the purpose of ones journey in seeking perfection. So actually Gsp's mind set is that of a Samurai perfecting their own Bushido.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
The Samurai's name implies "to serve" but their way of life is the Bushido, which ties in with the purpose of ones journey in seeking perfection. So actually Gsp's mind set is that of a Samurai perfecting their own Bushido.
That depends on how far back you go. Bashido seems to have been built up around the Samurai...not the other way round.

May I suggest service to the Emporar, Created a later ethos of perfection in order to serve better. NOT a group of people who invented, and then followed a code to self serve.

Samurai were first and foremost Military or Nobility. They shouldnt be considered as a Faith Group where Bashido is their Religion. That is re-writing their history to make their end a constant from their begining.

Really Samurai should be considered more of a Military rank, or an order of chivilry, and less like some kinda oriental cult. I grant you it might have turned out that way, but its beginings were little different from the Shoguns and you dont have them associated with a secondary pseudo religious bias.
Whilst the Samurai morphed from a background of service which was originally quite extensive, to a small group akin to a mystical cult. the Shoguns of higher rank remained fixed...but thats just boring...I guess which is why every one has heard of the Samurai, and noone has heard of the Shogun