Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default What does it say in your Passport

I read mine for the first time today...and was blown away by the...Imperial tone of the document

"Her Britannic Majestys Secretary of State Requests and Requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hinderance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be neccessary"

If I'd have known it were so simple when I was being quizzed by that Customs official upon entry to the U.S...I would simply have said "Excuse me Madame, would you please follow the request and requirements as stated in the first page of my passport, and cease with the Hinderance if you please!"

Dont worry...I'll flatter the Customs Officials again in the fall.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn

I read mine for the first time today...and was blown away by the...Imperial tone of the document

"Her Britannic Majestys Secretary of State Requests and Requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hinderance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be neccessary"

If I'd have known it were so simple when I was being quizzed by that Customs official upon entry to the U.S...I would simply have said "Excuse me Madame, would you please follow the request and requirements as stated in the first page of my passport"

Dont worry...I'll flatter the Customs Officials again in the fall.
Yeah, but the US isn't under British authority, so Customs isn't required to let you in. If you try to tell a US Official that they must le you in 'cause the Queen said so, you're gonna get laughed at.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Yeah, but the US isn't under British authority, so Customs isn't required to let you in. If you try to tell a US Official that they must le you in 'cause the Queen said so, you're gonna get laughed at.
That doesnt matter. This isnt a Commonwealth Passport...its a passport for use in any country...Imagine what it would do to British/American relations if they turned someone away without reason...or for the reason above...can you picture what would appear in English tabloids

But I would never demand...because its rude....It should be considered a request...rather then an assertion of authority...thats what suprised me Ben when I read it...it reads like the U.S would have no choice but to let someone with a passport in...and in this day and age...I find it strange to present an authority NOT under the Soverignty with an ultimatum from HM The Queen regarding her citizens in a foreign land.

Plus...Secretary of State??? There is no such position. We have ministers for different jobs. together they would create the collective impression of a Secretary of State...but..thats not exactly an officially used title...Minister for Foreign Affairs...thats probably as close as it gets.

Talk about out of date
Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 PM

There was a time when the British passport could literally get you anywhere in the world.

To have a British passport meant the world was your oyster!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have a passport. I have no desire to travel out of the US at this point in time so no need for me to get one. When I'm rich, I'll get one.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM
matthughesfan21

no passport for me
Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 PM

I like the American passports they look good!

And shame on you for not owning one!

Now i am well aware America has everything, every climate, every terrain, i mean you can do it all there so why go elsewhere!!

But Europe has History!

And its worth coming to see it, at least just London, Paris, Rome, that is obligatory!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
There was a time when the British passport could literally get you anywhere in the world.

To have a British passport meant the world was your oyster!
Aye,...those were the days

...and Jonlion is right in both senses...the US has a little bit of everything...if you dont travel internationally...you should still travel Nationally if possible.

But...Europe and Asia and North Africa...and possibly Meso-America...well they are worth exploring for their extensive history and lasting cultures.

...Or I could just come to you
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

I've traveled both in and out of the US. For now, I will stay right where I am.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
I've traveled both in and out of the US. For now, I will stay right where I am.

~Amy
Really? have you ever been to England