Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
If this is the case, and California had this on file, then Sonnen should technically be in the clear providing that it was disclosed to the doctors at the CSAC by Sonnen's doctor that this was a permanent ongoing treatment. Obviously, Sonnen may have made a clerical error in not re-filing the proper paperwork, but if all of that is on record and the levels of testosterone in his test are consistent with what they would expect from somebody who is legitimately being treated with HRT for a testosterone deficiency, then he should walk away with a slap on the wrist.

If the levels are above what they consider acceptable, then Chael will be forced to suffer the consequences handed down by the commission. Even if a fighter is being treated for a legitimate reason, they still cannot enter the fight with what is considered an advantage gained through the use of PED's or banned substances in general. I know there is info out there on exactly what was specifically said about his test results, but I don't feel like digging for it at the moment.

The only question I have would be, why hasn't Chael just come right out and explained this?
I would imagine Chael consulted with his attorney and was told to be quiet for the time being.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Well, I think you are answering your own question there...lol

Anti-Chael or Pro-Chael, it doesn't matter. It's more about logic.

If Chael came out from the start and explained this story, he would obviously have the evidence to back it up. He would have statements from his doctors and he would have other paperwork showing where this had been previously filed with the CSAC. I'm assuming, if this story is legit, that Chael does indeed have those things.

Had he come out with this story and NOT had those things, well then no, nobody would have really believed him, as they shouldn't.

However, not saying anything at all has done nothing to help his reputation. It's basically been left to fester, and the guy who got famous for being so outspoken, and having an answer for virtually everything, suddenly got very quiet. If this really just boils down to a clerical error on Sonnen's part, he could have easily done damage control with the public right from the start. I'm not saying it's a lie, because we really don't know anything for certain at this point, but I do believe it was a mistake from a PR standpoint.
Sounds like another popular fighter...
Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
How come Chuck gets the "I hear ya, bro" and I get "Of course.." as if you were while you were typing it when Chuck and I are saying the same thing about it backfiring on him!
Not at all, I hear you too bro!

However, like I said to Chuck, he put himself out there as one of the most outspoken figures in the sport before the fight. For him to just go silent sends a rather mixed message, and if he has a legit explanation with evidence to back it up then I don't see any reason to withhold that information from the public.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Not at all, I hear you too bro!

However, like I said to Chuck, he put himself out there as one of the most outspoken figures in the sport before the fight. For him to just go silent sends a rather mixed message, and if he has a legit explanation with evidence to back it up then I don't see any reason to withhold that information from the public.

I know what you're saying, but you're thinking like YOU, you need to think like Chael would think!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:57 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Sounds like another popular fighter...
That's not even remotely the same scenario. Floyd became famous for becoming arguably the best pound for pound fighter in the sport of Boxing, along with Manny.

I criticized Floyd's silence during the second round of negotiations on this forum, but let's not confuse Chael Sonnen with Floyd Mayweather. Floyd is a guy who gets treated like trash in the press, and he has paprazzi camped outside his house and following his every move. If Floyd's Escalade takes a detour on the way to the grocery store, the press finds a way to spin it into him "ducking" Manny Pacquiao.

Last edited by J.B.; 11-18-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:02 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:

I know what you're saying, but you're thinking like YOU, you need to think like Chael would think!
If I were Chael, that's exactly how I would think.

Unless, there is more to the story...

We just have to wait and see...
Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
I would imagine Chael consulted with his attorney and was told to be quiet for the time being.
If it's a case of a simple clerical error, and all the facts and evidence supported the story we are getting, there wouldn't be much of reason to keep quiet about it...

However, the more I am reading, the more I am thinking there is more to the story...

http://www.sbnation.com/mma/2010/11/...teroid-defense

Quote:
Sonnen fought Nate Marquardt in Nevada this past February, after the Okami fight, so I called Keith Kizer, Executive Director of the Nevada commission. According to Kizer, Sonnen never applied or was approved for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). Not in February or any of his previous fights in Nevada. Before the Marquardt fight, he applied and was approved for Soma/carisprodol (a muscle relaxer recently banned completely by WWE because it can cause intoxication while others don't and are more effective) for sleep as long as he didn't take it the night before and doxycyline (an antibiotic) for acne.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Here is Chael's only statement thus far...

Quote:
"It is our policy not to comment on pending actions by the Athletic Commission. Chael is consulting with his legal advisors and physicians and will have a statement in the near future. Chael will file an appeal with the CSAC and looks forward to working with the Commission to resolve this matter."
While it does say it's their policy not to comment and that he is consulting with lawyers, it also says that they would have a statement in the near future. It's been almost 2 months, and still no comment.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Chuck

Quote:
How come Chuck gets the "I hear ya, bro" and I get "Of course.." as if you were while you were typing it when Chuck and I are saying the same thing about it backfiring on him!
It's a guy thing... you wouldn't understand...
Old 11-19-2010, 04:04 AM
logrus

Quote:
If it's a case of a simple clerical error, and all the facts and evidence supported the story we are getting, there wouldn't be much of reason to keep quiet about it...

However, the more I am reading, the more I am thinking there is more to the story...

http://www.sbnation.com/mma/2010/11/...teroid-defense
Such a complicated mess again lmao....