Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-18-2010, 12:58 PM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Sonnen Has Been Undergoing Hormone Replacement Therapy For at Least the Past Year and

CagesideSeats.com has an interesting story they scooped from Yahoo! Sports MMA reporter Dave Meltzer's paid subscription f4wonline message board that sheds some light on the Chael Sonnen PED case.

According to the story, Sonnen has been undergoing hormone replacement therapy since before his fight with Yushin Okami, which he reported to and was given clearance to fight by the California State Athletic Commission prior to the the bout. Because it is a permanent treatment Sonnen allegedly assumed his doctor prescribed required testosterone treatment would be on file, and thus never re-reported it to the commission.

Testosterone levels can drop off for various reasons, including age, hereditary reasons or because of stress the endocrine system is due to a number of variables, not limited to repeated weight fluctuation and dehydration caused by weight cutting.

Here's what Meltzer had to say about the case in the latest edition of his Wrestling Observer newsletter:

"Chael Sonnen's hearing before the California State Athletic Commission regarding testing positive for testosterone is scheduled for 12/2 in Sacramento. Josh Barnett will also be applying to get licensed on that date. The talk was Sonnen would argue based on being medically prescribed testosterone due to a low level in his system. The issue would be whether or not he informed the commission ahead of time, because in cases like that, at least in Nevada, you have to ask for an exemption well in advance, have the commission doctors and your doctors talk and get it approved, and you still can't have a higher than normal level in your system when being tested which requires additional lab work. Those type of exemptions being approved are rare."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-18-2010, 07:21 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

If this is the case, and California had this on file, then Sonnen should technically be in the clear providing that it was disclosed to the doctors at the CSAC by Sonnen's doctor that this was a permanent ongoing treatment. Obviously, Sonnen may have made a clerical error in not re-filing the proper paperwork, but if all of that is on record and the levels of testosterone in his test are consistent with what they would expect from somebody who is legitimately being treated with HRT for a testosterone deficiency, then he should walk away with a slap on the wrist.

If the levels are above what they consider acceptable, then Chael will be forced to suffer the consequences handed down by the commission. Even if a fighter is being treated for a legitimate reason, they still cannot enter the fight with what is considered an advantage gained through the use of PED's or banned substances in general. I know there is info out there on exactly what was specifically said about his test results, but I don't feel like digging for it at the moment.

The only question I have would be, why hasn't Chael just come right out and explained this?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
If this is the case, and California had this on file, then Sonnen should technically be in the clear providing that it was disclosed to the doctors at the CSAC by Sonnen's doctor that this was a permanent ongoing treatment. Obviously, Sonnen may have made a clerical error in not re-filing the proper paperwork, but if all of that is on record and the levels of testosterone in his test are consistent with what they would expect from somebody who is legitimately being treated with HRT for a testosterone deficiency, then he should walk away with a slap on the wrist.

If the levels are above what they consider acceptable, then Chael will be forced to suffer the consequences handed down by the commission. Even if a fighter is being treated for a legitimate reason, they still cannot enter the fight with what is considered an advantage gained through the use of PED's or banned substances in general. I know there is info out there on exactly what was specifically said about his test results, but I don't feel like digging for it at the moment.

The only question I have would be, why hasn't Chael just come right out and explained this?
Would anyone (anti-Chael) have believed him without additional legitimate sources coming out to confirm it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Would anyone (anti-Chael) have believed him without additional legitimate sources coming out to confirm it?
Well, I think you are answering your own question there...lol

Anti-Chael or Pro-Chael, it doesn't matter. It's more about logic.

If Chael came out from the start and explained this story, he would obviously have the evidence to back it up. He would have statements from his doctors and he would have other paperwork showing where this had been previously filed with the CSAC. I'm assuming, if this story is legit, that Chael does indeed have those things.

Had he come out with this story and NOT had those things, well then no, nobody would have really believed him, as they shouldn't.

However, not saying anything at all has done nothing to help his reputation. It's basically been left to fester, and the guy who got famous for being so outspoken, and having an answer for virtually everything, suddenly got very quiet. If this really just boils down to a clerical error on Sonnen's part, he could have easily done damage control with the public right from the start. I'm not saying it's a lie, because we really don't know anything for certain at this point, but I do believe it was a mistake from a PR standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Well, I think you are answering your own question there...lol

Anti-Chael or Pro-Chael, it doesn't matter. It's more about logic.

If Chael came out from the start and explained this story, he would obviously have the evidence to back it up. He would have statements from his doctors and he would have other paperwork showing where this had been previously filed with the CSAC. I'm assuming, if this story is legit, that Chael does indeed have those things.

Had he come out with this story and NOT had those things, well then no, nobody would have really believed him, as they shouldn't.

However, not saying anything at all has done nothing to help his reputation. It's basically been left to fester, and the guy who got famous for being so outspoken, and having an answer for virtually everything, suddenly got very quiet. If this really just boils down to a clerical error on Sonnen's part, he could have easily done damage control with the public right from the start. I'm not saying it's a lie, because we really don't know anything for certain at this point, but I do believe it was a mistake from a PR standpoint.
IF this is true then I actually like the way he's handled it. Just keep quiet, let people think what they want and let the truth prevail. Anything else would have just back fired on him IMO.

But hey, that's just me.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:25 PM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Seems like one of those gray areas to me in regards to ruling. Yet I know it can easily be abused.

It is odd he never did just state this, but he still has to explain why he was walking around with a high limit in his system.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Well, I think you are answering your own question there...lol

Anti-Chael or Pro-Chael, it doesn't matter. It's more about logic.

If Chael came out from the start and explained this story, he would obviously have the evidence to back it up. He would have statements from his doctors and he would have other paperwork showing where this had been previously filed with the CSAC. I'm assuming, if this story is legit, that Chael does indeed have those things.

Had he come out with this story and NOT had those things, well then no, nobody would have really believed him, as they shouldn't.

However, not saying anything at all has done nothing to help his reputation. It's basically been left to fester, and the guy who got famous for being so outspoken, and having an answer for virtually everything, suddenly got very quiet. If this really just boils down to a clerical error on Sonnen's part, he could have easily done damage control with the public right from the start. I'm not saying it's a lie, because we really don't know anything for certain at this point, but I do believe it was a mistake from a PR standpoint.
The way you asked the question, I thought you meant, "why didn't he immediately come out and explain", like before the CSAC had a chance to review everything and investigate....just Chael's word for it in other words. That's where my post was coming from.

People would have jumped all over that and him, like Chuck said. If this is true, he'll know now to make sure all his i's are dotted and t's crossed for any future fights.
__________________

Last edited by Bonnie; 11-18-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
IF this is true then I actually like the way he's handled it. Just keep quiet, let people think what they want and let the truth prevail. Anything else would have just back fired on him IMO.

But hey, that's just me.
I hear ya bro, and that would be fine and dandy, had he not been in the press the week before the fight condemning Lance Armstrong as a steroid cheat, and then trying to lie about it on the Jim Rome show. Sonnen is quick to talk about other fighters hurting the sport by not doing their part to hype up the fights, but what about the negative impression that reflects on the sport when fighters fail their drug tests?

Sonnen is far from a victim in the press or with the fans. He went out of his way to hype his way into major popularity and as soon controversy erupts he gets really quiet, just like when he was asked to withdraw from his political campaign. If it boils down to nothing more than a clerical error, then he should just get a slap on the wrists and people should drop it, but I still think he would have been better served to just come right out with it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
The way you asked the question, I thought you meant, "why didn't he immediately come out and explain", like before the CSAC had a chance to review everything thing and investigate....just Chael's word for it in other words. That's where my post was coming from.

People would have jumped all over that and him, like Chuck said. If this is true, he'll know now to make sure all his i's are dotted and t's crossed for any future fights.
Of course they would jump all over him, but that was going to happen anyway, and it has. He should have come right out when the news of the tests became public, at the very least to give some sort of explanation to his supporters who have stood by him through all the controversy over the last year.

He was notified of the test results before the public knew, and he obviously knew when he spoke with the commission right before the fight that he was going through HRT and that it had been filed in the past with the CSAC. It would be an easy story to explain for a guy who as savvy with a microphone as Chael Sonnen is, yet he still has said nothing publicly. So, until the hearing, it's all still a bit uncertain.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Well, I think you are answering your own question there...lol

Anti-Chael or Pro-Chael, it doesn't matter. It's more about logic.

If Chael came out from the start and explained this story, he would obviously have the evidence to back it up. He would have statements from his doctors and he would have other paperwork showing where this had been previously filed with the CSAC. I'm assuming, if this story is legit, that Chael does indeed have those things.

Had he come out with this story and NOT had those things, well then no, nobody would have really believed him, as they shouldn't.

However, not saying anything at all has done nothing to help his reputation. It's basically been left to fester, and the guy who got famous for being so outspoken, and having an answer for virtually everything, suddenly got very quiet. If this really just boils down to a clerical error on Sonnen's part, he could have easily done damage control with the public right from the start. I'm not saying it's a lie, because we really don't know anything for certain at this point, but I do believe it was a mistake from a PR standpoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Of course they would jump all over him, but that was going to happen anyway, and it has. He should have come right out when the news of the tests became public, at the very least to give some sort of explanation to his supporters who have stood by him through all the controversy over the last year.

He was notified of the test results before the public knew, and he obviously knew when he spoke with the commission right before the fight that he was going through HRT and that it had been filed in the past with the CSAC. It would be an easy story to explain for a guy who as savvy with a microphone as Chael Sonnen is, yet he still has said nothing publicly. So, until the hearing, it's all still a bit uncertain.
How come Chuck gets the "I hear ya, bro" and I get "Of course.." as if you were while you were typing it when Chuck and I are saying the same thing about it backfiring on him!
__________________

Last edited by Bonnie; 11-18-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.