Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 PM
rearnakedchoke

i have always been a fan of vick and thought when he came back his best days were behind him ... so glad to see he is even better ... as to what mh21 said, his throws are perfect and his feet can get him outta some problems ... philly sure has a team that can go deep ... hopefully he wins the superbowl and gets a huge contract .... i really think MV is a changed man and he is proving a lot of people wrong ... poor kevin kolb ...
Old 11-17-2010, 06:51 PM
rearnakedchoke

oh, and JB, great RM shout out ..
Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 PM
logrus

I dunno about MVP, hes played against sub par teams all season. The only interesting win came against Indy I believe. Besides he has only played 6 games, 5 because the first meeting with Washington he got put on IR.

Still are a handful of games bro so who knows, right now though its a big NO!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:43 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
You did realize that's what I was saying too in my post didn't ya--that they should stick with what's working...meaning Vick?

:
Yeah I know what you meant, but I was just building off what you were saying about his quickness, I was pointing out that his passing is great now too and then I added some of my other thoughts...Sorry for confusing you, I didn't feel like editing the quote because I was being lazy or something
Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 PM

Personally, I can't stand the dog-killer. But, as several have said here, he did his time and should be able to earn his living.

There's no comparison, IMO, between Vick - whose side career was exploiting, torturing and killing dogs - to Favre, who is apparently only guilty of indecision on his retirement date, throwing interceptions and sending TSA-themed pictures to a woman other than his wife.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 PM

But you're right, JB, they are both certainly controversial.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
It's all about getting the wins.
Yeah, that's what is pathetic about ML sports.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
oh, and JB, great RM shout out ..
You know it brother!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:21 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
I dunno about MVP, hes played against sub par teams all season. The only interesting win came against Indy I believe. Besides he has only played 6 games, 5 because the first meeting with Washington he got put on IR.

Still are a handful of games bro so who knows, right now though its a big NO!
I don't think it's really fair to say he doesn't deserve it because of their schedule. We know that every game is tough to win in the NFL, even the crappiest teams don't typically lose by more than 7 or 10 points. Even then, the final score isn't always a true indicator of how close a game really was.

So, why should Vick be considered?

Vick is the highest rated QB in the league this season, and even with missing 3 games, his number of attempts per game are still almost on par with other QB's, so it's not really a true case of being rated higher due to less playing time when you think about it. Not to mention that Vick obviously doesn't always sit in the pocket and will scramble if he feels he has too.

Vick has thrown ZERO interceptions this season. It's tough enough to go one game without tossing a pick in today's league, let alone 6 games and over 150 attempts. If Vick manages to keep this up the rest of the season, he is on par to break Bernie Kosar's record for most consecutive attempts without an INT (308).

Vick is tied for 7th place in rushing touchdowns this season, with 4. Now, there are always a few QB's in the mix because of goal-line situations with option or sneak plays, however Vick is still the highest QB of those in the mix and he is still ahead of some the leagues star half-backs. I don't think that stat surprises most people, but it speaks to exactly what kind of player Vick has been, and that is a play-maker. Being a play-maker is one of the top priorities of a MVP candidate because it's a key part of what wins football games.

If the Eagles keep winning with Vick performing as he has, and he remains healthy the rest of the season, I don't see how he won't be considered amongst the top 3 candidates, if not the shoe in. Obviously, guys like Brady, Manning, Rivers, and others are up there too, but if I had to pick somebody today I would have to give Vick a strong consideration. Injuries do have a major effect on a players ability to be a "Most-Valuable" player, because clearly you are not very valuable on the sidelines. However, Vick has consistently stepped up and delivered in every performance thus far, and it's especially hard to ignore him after the way he played on Monday night.

Last edited by J.B.; 11-18-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:15 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I don't think it's really fair to say he doesn't deserve it because of their schedule. We know that every game is tough to win in the NFL, even the crappiest teams don't typically lose by more than 7 or 10 points. Even then, the final score isn't always a true indicator of how close a game really was.

So, why should Vick be considered?

Vick is the highest rated QB in the league this season, and even with missing 3 games, his number of attempts per game are still almost on par with other QB's, so it's not really a true case of being rated higher due to less playing time when you think about it. Not to mention that Vick obviously doesn't always sit in the pocket and will scramble if he feels he has too.

Vick has thrown ZERO interceptions this season. It's tough enough to go one game without tossing a pick in today's league, let alone 6 games and over 150 attempts. If Vick manages to keep this up the rest of the season, he is on par to break Bernie Kosar's record for most consecutive attempts without an INT (308).

Vick is tied for 7th place in rushing touchdowns this season, with 4. Now, there are always a few QB's in the mix because of goal-line situations with option or sneak plays, however Vick is still the highest QB of those in the mix and he is still ahead of some the leagues star half-backs. I don't think that stat surprises most people, but it speaks to exactly what kind of player Vick has been, and that is a play-maker. Being a play-maker is one of the top priorities of a MVP candidate because it's a key part of what wins football games.

If the Eagles keep winning with Vick performing as he has, and he remains healthy the rest of the season, I don't see how he won't be considered amongst the top 3 candidates, if not the shoe in. Obviously, guys like Brady, Manning, Rivers, and others are up there too, but if I had to pick somebody today I would have to give Vick a strong consideration. Injuries do have a major effect on a players ability to be a "Most-Valuable" player, because clearly you are not very valuable on the sidelines. However, Vick has consistently stepped up and delivered in every performance thus far, and it's especially hard to ignore him after the way he played on Monday night.
I understand the idea of not excepting strength a schedule as a reason, but he has played against some of the worst ranked DEF in football. Wash 32, Jax 28, Det 21, Ind 18. Ad in they are ranked#3 in Offense with half those games under another QB.

Right now it really still is too early to just except defeat and hand him the award.