Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-16-2010, 10:17 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
No disrespect to Matt, but the size is not always an advantage. Pac was outweighed 17 pounds on fight night vs. Margarito last Saturday and we all know how that fight went. It's all about who wants it more. Sounds like Penn is taking this fight seriously if his weight is 165. Good for him!
Margarito also wasn't allowed to wrestle with Pacquiao.

In boxing, smaller guys have actually been the faster and more technical fighters throughout history, and nobody was really fooling themselves into thinking Margarito stood any sort of a chance. The guy will be lucky if he ever fights again.

You are right that size doesn't always matter, but we also aren't talking about Lesnar vs Velasquez here. Matt and BJ are two highly decorated veterans of the sport who have fought each other twice before, so they know what to expect. I think from what we have seen out of both men in recent fights it's hard to imagine BJ having any sort of real advantage in any aspect of this fight. Even if he is able to get to Matt on his feet, I think he will get taken down, out muscled, and bullied on the ground. It's MMA, and anything can happen, but I think Hughes takes this fight easier than the rematch.

WAR HUGHES!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
you're the first person I've heard that thought BJ deserved the decision over Machida.
hey, just my opinion ... it may not be popular .. and i am far from a penn hugger ... i thought matt serra eeked the win out over BJ ... just sayin ... the only clear cut round in the BJ/machida fight was the first and BJ won that ... also .. i think k-1 heros' had some differences in judging than the 10 point must .... i also think the judges were to take weight difference into judging, so machida had almost a thirty pound adv.

whatever though ..
Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
No disrespect to Matt, but the size is not always an advantage. Pac was outweighed 17 pounds on fight night vs. Margarito last Saturday and we all know how that fight went. It's all about who wants it more. Sounds like Penn is taking this fight seriously if his weight is 165. Good for him!
yeah but tanslating that to mma bj does not = pac man and margarito definatly doesnt equal hughes..
Old 11-17-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Ok, well hows about, BJ Penn outweighing Frankie Edgar by at least 11 pounds and still losing the fight TWICE?

Styles make matches though and Edgar just has a bad one for Penn. Penn's style is tough for Hughes too, that's why this fight is going to be so awesome!

WAR HUGHES!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

A lot of people think BJ won the first fight with Edgar though too...just sayin...

I agree with what you are saying Rock, and styles can make fights, but size can also be a distinct advantage in a lot of fights. It just depends on who is fighting.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Jason 16

wow he only cuts 10 pound to 155 ive cut 15 one time and 20 the other