Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-03-2010, 06:28 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
Chuck went on a HUGE tear in his 30s.. getting better and better...7 wins in a row... (only to be book ended but Jackson)

Evan Tanner started fighting in his 30s.. 33 I belive???

What I am saying is that starting as a fighter in your 30s.. isn't a bad thing...
Chuck wasn't really getting better and better, he was just better than his competition. Chuck was always just Chuck until Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, and Franklin completely ruined his chin.

The one thing that nobody mentions about Brock, Randy, Evan, and even Chuck, is that they were all WRESTLERS when they were younger. Randy also boxed in the ARMY. So, those guys didn't really "start" in their 30's, but MMA is a sport where you are only one punch away from winning or losing, and as we have seen time and time again, anything can happen. Still, I would NOT suggest to the average Joe that attempting to become a professional fighter when they are in their 30's. In other sports, it's almost unheard of for athletes to come in and have success at the highest levels without years of training. Today's top level Boxers have been lacing up gloves since they were kids. There are no free rides or easy pathways to success in Boxing unless you are just that much better than everybody else, and the level of unpredictability that exists in MMA isn't as high in Boxing

Just look at what we have seen lately. Champions with under 10 fights, interim champions, etc. It's like the HW belt is getting passed around like a bowl of candy on Halloween. I look forward to 10-15 years from now when most MMA fighters are guys who started training and watching UFC when they were 5 or 10 years old.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Chuck wasn't really getting better and better, he was just better than his competition. Chuck was always just Chuck until Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, and Franklin completely ruined his chin.

The one thing that nobody mentions about Brock, Randy, Evan, and even Chuck, is that they were all WRESTLERS when they were younger. Randy also boxed in the ARMY. So, those guys didn't really "start" in their 30's, but MMA is a sport where you are only one punch away from winning or losing, and as we have seen time and time again, anything can happen. Still, I would NOT suggest to the average Joe that attempting to become a professional fighter when they are in their 30's. In other sports, it's almost unheard of for athletes to come in and have success at the highest levels without years of training. Today's top level Boxers have been lacing up gloves since they were kids. There are no free rides or easy pathways to success in Boxing unless you are just that much better than everybody else, and the level of unpredictability that exists in MMA isn't as high in Boxing

Just look at what we have seen lately. Champions with under 10 fights, interim champions, etc. It's like the HW belt is getting passed around like a bowl of candy on Halloween. I look forward to 10-15 years from now when most MMA fighters are guys who started training and watching UFC when they were 5 or 10 years old.
The difference between Randy, Chuck, and Brock is only one of them is reliant so much on freak genetics... Ones he loses that athletism what does he got to fall back on? skill?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44 View Post
The difference between Randy, Chuck, and Brock is only one of them is reliant so much on freak genetics... Ones he loses that athletism what does he got to fall back on? skill?
Brock obviously has great genetics, but let's not kid ourselves...