Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 AM
snakerattle79

Default Vadim Finkelstein: Brock Lesnar Is Just A Product Of UFC’s PR

http://steverattlesnake.cliquezone.c...uct-of-ufcs-pr

Have you watched the fight Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez? If yes, what are your impressions?

Vadim Finkelstein: I have long said that Lesnar is more of a product of UFC’s PR rather than a serious fighter and that fight clearly confirmed it.

And how do you assess Velasquez?

In my opinion, he is a very good fighter and also in his abilities and strengths. UFC now presents him as the best in the world and it is certainly debatable, but he is a real fighter, not a product of PR.

And what about the rumors that you are still negotiating with the UFC?

It’s stupidity. We are not conducting such negotiations.

Now we are in active negotiations with Showtime on a contract extension, and perhaps we will renew it. But the UFC does not offer such opportunities and imposes its monopoly conditions. They believe that everyone should be in the UFC. We would love to fight with Lesnar, and Velasquez and all but why should we give up all these undertakings, all the years spent on Fedor’s development will go to them? Fedor did not grow in the UFC, right? So why should he go to the UFC? If Dana White wants to fight, he can easily hold it, because we do not mind. And while the contract with Showtime gives us more opportunities.

Fedor is now ready to fight. He is 34, he feels fine and is ready to work. He is ready to sign a contract for five or six fights, and do the job very well. He always says he’s ready to act. We need to protect our interests.

Should we expect Fedor to fight in Japan on New Year’s Eve?

We discussed this possibility with the Japanese themselves were happy, but they had more difficulty and with an interesting opponent for Fedor, and many others. As a result, the negotiations did not even happened because there was no concrete proposal. Therefore, in the very near future have to wait for the completion of negotiations with Showtime, and even then it will become clear when and with whom Fedor will fight next.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:06 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakerattle79 View Post
We would love to fight with Lesnar, and Velasquez and all but why should we give up all these undertakings, all the years spent on Fedor’s development will go to them?
He makes a great point here, except that if Fedor ever fought Brock, most of the PPV buys would be because of Lesnar and not Emelianenko. I like his approach, but he needs to remember that he is not Fedro Mayweather Jr.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:49 PM
pistol-pete

I guess everyone that Cain has destroyed is just a factor of the PR machine.

His comments just don't make a whole lot of sense, Cain is the real deal and probably should be the number one ranked heavy weight on the planet. He is undefeated, and has finished everyone that the UFC has put in front of him. I think it will be a great fight between him and Dos Santos, but Cain on paper is better in every aspect of the fight game.

Brock will get fed an up and coming Heavy weight like Brendan Schaub, and then get a title shot. That won't be until spring or summer because Lesnar has a gash on his face and probably a broken cheek bone.

Lesnar also has to find a game plan, maybe more work with Couture, or a camp that actually has some history in this fight game to deliver a fight plan that doesn't revolve around Brock just bullying his way through fighters.

Cain has fast accurate hands, along with damn good takedown, and takedown defense. Brock has to game plan on how to overcome Cain's strengths, and develop his own strengths into a game plan for success.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:24 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol-pete View Post
I guess everyone that Cain has destroyed is just a factor of the PR machine.
He gave Cain credit

Quote:
And how do you assess Velasquez?

In my opinion, he is a very good fighter and also in his abilities and strengths. UFC now presents him as the best in the world and it is certainly debatable, but he is a real fighter, not a product of PR.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:12 PM
pistol-pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
He gave Cain credit
Sure, but then backhanded it when he called Lesnar a PR stunt, refering to Lesnar like he wasn't a real fighter, that he was a freak show. I am sure that Cain didn't prepare for Lesnar like he was just a PR stunt, and I am sure Carwin and Mir don't think he was a "fake" fighter.

I believe that Lesnar didn't have to pay his dues and move up the Ranks. He got a title shot when his record in the UFC was 1-1. He had a 4 fight winning streak, beating names like Couture, Mir, and Carwin. I think that is impressive, but not a career, certainly not a PR stunt.

Cain has the hands, and ground game to beat Fedor.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:54 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol-pete View Post
Sure, but then backhanded it when he called Lesnar a PR stunt, refering to Lesnar like he wasn't a real fighter, that he was a freak show. I am sure that Cain didn't prepare for Lesnar like he was just a PR stunt, and I am sure Carwin and Mir don't think he was a "fake" fighter.

I believe that Lesnar didn't have to pay his dues and move up the Ranks. He got a title shot when his record in the UFC was 1-1. He had a 4 fight winning streak, beating names like Couture, Mir, and Carwin. I think that is impressive, but not a career, certainly not a PR stunt.

Cain has the hands, and ground game to beat Fedor.
For all intents and purposes, Lesnar WAS a PR stunt when he first came into the UFC. The UFC knew he would sell PPV's weather he won or lost and that's why they brought him in. Dana can say, "we knew this guy was legit", but he did the same thing with James Toney when they sold him as this legendary Boxer who could knock anybody he punches out cold.

He also never said Brock was a "fake" fighter, he just said he didn't take him seriously as a fighter. A lot of what he is saying has some truth to it. I like Brock Lesnar, and have been a supporter of his from the get-go, but his last two fights have shown a side that you never wanna see in a fighter, and that is severe timidity when he gets hit in the face. When he starts getting lit up, he runs for cover. Granted, he did get back up to his feet and keep fighting after Cain knocked him down initially, and no doubt Brock is one tough SOB, but he seemed more content with stopping the damage than trying to fight out of it when he was on the ground. Grab a leg, punch back, do something...but don't just lay there with your hands over your face. That's bad for a fighters image, and it's bad for the image of the sport. It further advances the notion that this sport is all about inflicting brutal violence, even when an opponent is clearly outmatched.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:58 PM
rearnakedchoke

the look on dana's face when crowning cain is hilarious ... i agree with vadim to an extent ... yes dana gave brock a guy like herring with no takedown defense to get brock's confidence up, yes he gave him the chance to fight for the title with a one fight win streak because he knew the size difference and ring rust from randy gave brock a good chance ... but brock also beat the hell out of former champ mir (again someone with no takedown defence) and brock did beat carwin ... so brock was a PR machine for the US, but not to the extent of how kimbo was for EXC
Old 10-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I would have had more respect...if this guy had said this to the media...BEFORE Brock Lesnar lost.

The truth is...probably about half the MMA community thought Brock Lesnar would win...now they are feigning suprise that he has been "exposed" when in all honnesty he should never have been fast tracked in the first place.

Something that more people are saying now he lost, then dared to whilst he was beating someone like Carwin.

I called it like it was from the moment they abandoned the TUF heavyweights. I am vindicated next time, maybe some people will dare say this sort of thing sooner, rather then after the inevitable
Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I would have had more respect...if this guy had said this to the media...BEFORE Brock Lesnar lost.

The truth is...probably about half the MMA community thought Brock Lesnar would win...now they are feigning suprise that he has been "exposed" when in all honnesty he should never have been fast tracked in the first place.

Something that more people are saying now he lost, then dared to whilst he was beating someone like Carwin.

I called it like it was from the moment they abandoned the TUF heavyweights. I am vindicated next time, maybe some people will dare say this sort of thing sooner, rather then after the inevitable
You are tooting your own horn a bit too much here brother.

There was good reason for people to think Brock would beat Cain, and Brock could still potentially beat anybody in the world at HW in my opinion.

Lesnar is a freakishly gifted athlete who has shown a lot of promise right from the beginning. Cain only has 9 fights, so it's not like he did much more than Brock to get where he is. The only thing that is surprising about Lesnar in the fight was how he reacted when he got lit up. I gave him the benefit of the doubt against Carwin for two reasons, Carwin has lunchboxes for fists and Brock weathered the storm and came back to win the fight.

Most of the "experts" who think they are so smart for picking Cain to win are now calling him the next Fedor, that's how it goes. I like Cain, and while I picked Brock to win the fight I am not surprised Cain was able to outclass Brock on his feet. However, I was surprised when Cain was able to spring up to his feet rather easily after being taken down, and that was one big question most people had going into that fight.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
You are tooting your own horn a bit too much here brother.

There was good reason for people to think Brock would beat Cain, and Brock could still potentially beat anybody in the world at HW in my opinion.

Lesnar is a freakishly gifted athlete who has shown a lot of promise right from the beginning. Cain only has 9 fights, so it's not like he did much more than Brock to get where he is. The only thing that is surprising about Lesnar in the fight was how he reacted when he got lit up. I gave him the benefit of the doubt against Carwin for two reasons, Carwin has lunchboxes for fists and Brock weathered the storm and came back to win the fight.

Most of the "experts" who think they are so smart for picking Cain to win are now calling him the next Fedor, that's how it goes. I like Cain, and while I picked Brock to win the fight I am not surprised Cain was able to outclass Brock on his feet. However, I was surprised when Cain was able to spring up to his feet rather easily after being taken down, and that was one big question most people had going into that fight.

Well said. Agree 100%