Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 10-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Default BLOG: UFC 121 Results

From Matt's blog:

Quote:
Boomer, Boomer, BoomerÖ as Iím sure all of most of you know, Boomer is a buddy of mine that I met from the forums. Boomer has a bad habit of betting on the fights with me. Once again, Boomer owes me some money.

Interesting night of fights, I had several offers to bet on Brock, but I just didnít place any bets on him. I didnít know a lot about Cain, but I did know that he had some good wrestling credentials, he had better striking abilities, and he was going to use a lot more movement in the fight. So, I didnít think Brock was going to lose like he did, but I knew there was a good chance Cain could get his hand raised. UFC kind of made a big deal about it. I really donít know why, but Iím glad that the Mexicans have a heavyweight champion.

I consider myself an old guy and when some of the older fighters fight, I find myself interested. Tito was on the card, against Hamill and I didnít think there was any way for Tito to win. Titoís got that clothing line out, Team Punishment, and when I see people wearing the shirts, I always tease them that it should be ďTeam Punished;Ē but I would even go out on a limb and say thatís the last time we see Tito in the UFC.

Jake Shields fight was interesting to me. Jake ran out of gas, but still ended up getting the split decision. From a technical view, Kampmann had a terrible fight, in my opinion, he gave the fight to Shields. One thing I will say is Joe Roganís commentary was a little off during the fight. The ground game was pretty even in my book with Shields doing a little more controlling. Kampmann escaped to his feet several times and Kampmann had more submission attempts than Shields had, but listening to Rogan, you would have thought Shield had submitted him the first ten seconds of being on the ground. I really think the UFC could use a third man doing the broadcast, that has some experience inside the octagon. I donít disagree with everything Rogan says, but there are a lot of things he says that I just laugh at.

Now back to that bet Boomer made, Iím sure Iíll forget all about it and the next time I see Boomer heíll fork over 3 large and Iíll ask him ďwhatís this for?Ē and heíll have to remind me.

Iíve got a couple of videos for you. One is a trailer for the Texas Trophy Hunters show that I mentioned in my last blog and the other is a video that the boys at LaserLyte put together:

TTHA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cSfyZQkogM

LaserLyte: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wch6Z8kryWI

The Bible verse for this week:

Quote:
Jesus answered, ďThe work of God is this: to believe in the one He has sent.Ē (John 6:29)
-matt
Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
rearnakedchoke

good call on the fights matt ... boomer, make sure you pay up ... LOL ... i also agree with you on the mexican thing .. too much was made of it ... and JB pointed out that Ricco Rodriquez is half mexican, so there has already been a mexican hw champ ...
Old 10-25-2010, 03:25 PM

LOL OH BOOMER! Poor guy.
I bet Danny that Cain would win too, and he called it luck! Prob because i bet on Toney last time...
The show looks great and I agree with you 100% about Rogan. I was laughing at how he kept talking about how Shields was at a whole other level. if he was then why didn't he sub Kampmann. I think if Martin would have kept distance and fired away he could have dropped him. I was impressed that Shirelds was completely gassed after the first round and still managed to score.

[
Old 10-25-2010, 04:01 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
LOL OH BOOMER! Poor guy.
I bet Danny that Cain would win too, and he called it luck! Prob because i bet on Toney last time...
The show looks great and I agree with you 100% about Rogan. I was laughing at how he kept talking about how Shields was at a whole other level. if he was then why didn't he sub Kampmann. I think if Martin would have kept distance and fired away he could have dropped him. I was impressed that Shirelds was completely gassed after the first round and still managed to score.
Shields always gasses quick. GSP will have no trouble with him. He'll come out going 100mph & Jake will fall over from exhaustion in Rnd 3
Old 10-25-2010, 06:07 PM

Good blog! Totally agree with everything you said about Rogan. To say he annoys me is an understatement. Good idea about a 3rd person commentator. I don't agree with the judges' decision in the Kampmann/Shields fight, but I agree with you that Martin made it easier for them.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:53 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I think you would make a perfect addition to the broadcaster's table, Matt.

Rogan commentates like a play-by-play guy when he really should be the color guy. Goldie is good, but I think he is better at calling football games to be perfectly honest.

I get why they played it up for Cain with the Mexican angle, and obviously Cain's heritage was something he embraced and showed much pride in well before this. I still think it's something that was intended to be sold to Hispanic Americans rather than just people in Mexico City. Mexico is still a Boxing country, and the pitch for the "first Mexican Heavyweight Champion" is something that they have been waiting for in Boxing, not MMA. There is also the American factor, which is a big deal to a lot of the hardcore Mexican fight fans. It's the same reason Oscar De La Hoya could have won all of his fights and he still wouldn't be loved in Mexico half as much as Julio Ceasar Chavez.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

First let me say the video's ..... Awesome !

now thats outta the way

Boomer is fricking HOT!!!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I aggree with Hughes...I didnt find the result of the main event an upset...though I didnt think Velasquez would dominate quite so abruptly.

I also scored the match for Shields...but it has to be said, that Martin could have done better and Jake SHOULD have done better...I dont personally feel like his win legitamizes a title shot...it wasnt...dominating enough...

When Rogan becomes boring, I hit the mute button. He is so biased its unbelievable. I like his technical explainations sometimes...but really...he has a nasty habit of telling people only what he sees, what I mean is...put him on mute the first time of watching and write down what you think you see...then replay the fight with his blah...sometimes that can uncover really interesting things

I'm sure Boomer will pay up. One day. You could be naughty and add interest
Old 10-25-2010, 11:41 PM

Great analysis, I totally agree about Joe's commentary, sometimes I think I'm watching a different fight, lol.

Great videos, especially MHP102110, loved it! Congratulations on your newest projects.

Poor Boomer...or should I say, poor BROKE Boomer...heh heh
Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
First let me say the video's ..... Awesome !

now thats outta the way

*snickering*