Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 10-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Default Texas Rangers

So glad my boys come through!

Now for the World Series!
Old 10-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Just happy to see the Yanks lose. Hate baseball. Until they place salary caps, teams who have the most money will always be on top, or at least in the case of the Yanks this year, near the top.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:40 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21 View Post
Just happy to see the Yanks lose. Hate baseball. Until they place salary caps, teams who have the most money will always be on top, or at least in the case of the Yanks this year, near the top.
Baseball is a great game, but MLB is never going to be perfect, just like any other league. The Yankees will always be a competitor with out without a salary cap, simply because they are the Yankees and they have a ton of tradition to lure guys into playing for them.

Not having a cap actually puts fans in a more direct relationship with the organization. The teams who don't want to spend money, cant hide behind the fact that they are limited in what they can spend because of the league. It also means that if fans want to see there teams get good players, they need to actually support the team by purchasing more tickets and merchandise. Take the Diambndbacks for instance, they know if they want to see ticket sales go up, they need to start winning games next year. So, they are talking about actually going out and spending $30 million on a good starting pitcher. Does it mean they will, or that they would start hitting the ball better if they did? Nope, but it gives them a better chance at winning, and thats the risks you have to take to run a successful ball club.

Of course there are teams who always find a way to catch lightening in a bottle and have spectacular years even without the best team on paper. Obviously though, you are correct that teams who make more money will be able to buy the best players, but it still doesn't always happen. Heck, the Yankees were SURE they were gonna get Cliff Lee, but what do you think Lee is thinking now that he is in the World Series with Texas? He's probably liking the idea of playing on a winning team in a place with no state income tax.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Maldonado136

I'm glad the Rangers pulled through. I'm a proud Yankees hater and if my Rays can't have it then neither should New York!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:54 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136 View Post
I'm a proud Yankees hater
Aren't we all?

GO WHITE SOX!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:30 PM
rearnakedchoke

Glad to see the Giants take the WS .... LIncecum is a Freak and glad to see Renteria with the MVP ...
Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM
billwilliams70

Cliff Lee will be a Yankee next year.

Later.