Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 11-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Rochambeau

What if you play AS Pat? Will he say it then?
Old 11-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochambeau View Post
What if you play AS Pat? Will he say it then?
yeah that would be funny. The Japan guy from the bushido gym is funny as well.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Rochambeau

So, training mini games are annoying?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:15 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I think this game blows UFC away in pretty much all aspects. The career mode is more enjoyable because you actually interact with your trainers more, and the training games are challenging but not so hard/annoying that you feel you have to skip them.

The online mode actually works, unlike UFC Undisputed, which is still broken from what I understand. It's a lot of fun playing fight cards with a bunch of people or having ranked matches and competing for belts. I personally like how they constantly create belts amongst the contenders so that people can't just squat on the title.

The only other thing I would point out that people really seem to be complaining about is the use of created fighters online. Some people seem to think that people who use CAF's are cheating or that they have some "super-power". This is not the case. It's simply a matter of understanding all aspects of the game, and game-planning accordingly. For instance, just because a guy has a 100 rating on his submissions doesn't mean he is unstoppable on the ground. If a person knows how to time their blocks and parry's properly, then they can put up a fight even with a very modest ground game. It really just depends on how a person tweaks their fighter for their style of play, but no matter what, even the most balanced fighter will always have a weakness and that is what you need to exploit to beat your opponent.

Guys who are Boxers have heavy hands and strong chins, but they won't have as good of submissions or grappling. Sambo/Jiu Jitsu fighters can be very well rounded, but they are easier to knock out. Even a guy's leg strength plays a huge factor. If you are a standup fighter who is having trouble closing the distance to land punches on your opponent, try wearing him down with leg and body kicks. Leg kicks from a strong Thai or Kick-boxer can make it almost impossible for a guy to move in a short amount of time, and body kicks will drain their stamina to slow them down and leave them open for attack. So, it really is about finding a guys weakness and strategically attacking it rather than just swinging for the fences all the time.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Rochambeau

My approach to each fight in UFC Undisputed was to fight the technical fight. I'd try to wear them with leg kicks, box them up and eventually finish it, but the game didn't work. The leg kicks didn't really do anything, so it didn't matter how many I landed or how good I looked with my technical striking. From what you've said, I think EA MMA is the game that I want.

I get annoyed with people and their created fighters in Fight Night. Do they give themselves 100 for punching power? The computer is much easier to beat when I play as my created fighter.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:59 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

In Fight Night, they gave us the ability to filter out the CAF's if we didn't want to fight them, I expect they may add that to this game in the first patch, along with a filter to separate users of different control schemes.

Personally, I love using CAF's and I think they did a great job with making the game balanced enough to where it doesn't matter as long as you know how to play to your strengths and attack a persons weaknesses. Obviously, there are going to be mismatches, like Bob Sapp vs Fedor. However, no match is impossible and the game is really good about reacting to what the user does and determining a risk/reward factor. So, you will see CAF's will high stats in some areas, but like I said, it doesn't matter. They will still have weaknesses, and once you are accustomed to the game, you will know how to exploit them.

The one thing that can be frustrating is constantly getting caught in leg submissions. If you have a fighter with weak legs/sub defense, and you fight a guy who is in the 90's or above in subs and specifically leg subs, you can't let them get a hold of your leg or they will take it home with them. I've gotten some angry messages on xbox live from people who take video games way too seriously after I used Rickson Gracie to put them in a heel-hook. The solution is simply learn how to stuff take-downs and do not let those guys sit in your guard and get comfortable.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:26 PM
hughesfan4life

just bought this game for my brother's xmas,is it worth it?....i totally wanted it,however,i have a wii and the game is only xbox 360 and ps3....so i miss out!...looks good though!!
Old 11-07-2010, 12:27 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesfan4life View Post
just bought this game for my brother's xmas,is it worth it?....i totally wanted it,however,i have a wii and the game is only xbox 360 and ps3....so i miss out!...looks good though!!
I think it's totally worth it. Both MMA fans and gamers alike should find a lot to appreciate in this title. The hardcore fans get the names we only know about, and the gameplay is superb. I can be pretty picky with Boxing/MMA games, and this game leaves me with little to complain about.

Here is a review I did of EA MMA on my blog... http://squaredoctagon.com/index.php?page=70

Also, here is a piece on did on the worst Boxing video games ever...http://squaredoctagon.com/index.php?page=44
Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Rochambeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
In Fight Night, they gave us the ability to filter out the CAF's if we didn't want to fight them, I expect they may add that to this game in the first patch, along with a filter to separate users of different control schemes.

Personally, I love using CAF's and I think they did a great job with making the game balanced enough to where it doesn't matter as long as you know how to play to your strengths and attack a persons weaknesses. Obviously, there are going to be mismatches, like Bob Sapp vs Fedor. However, no match is impossible and the game is really good about reacting to what the user does and determining a risk/reward factor. So, you will see CAF's will high stats in some areas, but like I said, it doesn't matter. They will still have weaknesses, and once you are accustomed to the game, you will know how to exploit them.

The one thing that can be frustrating is constantly getting caught in leg submissions. If you have a fighter with weak legs/sub defense, and you fight a guy who is in the 90's or above in subs and specifically leg subs, you can't let them get a hold of your leg or they will take it home with them. I've gotten some angry messages on xbox live from people who take video games way too seriously after I used Rickson Gracie to put them in a heel-hook. The solution is simply learn how to stuff take-downs and do not let those guys sit in your guard and get comfortable.
In Fight Night I try to fight smart, stay on the outside a little bit, but online it hardly works. The judges have you down, even if it seems like you're winning the fight. Though usually people just quit when I start out jabbing them and..... It sucks.

It sounds pretty well balanced. It's just a shame that I can't play it! In UFC there are fighters that are just a real pain in the ass to go up against. Sean Sherk was really annoying..........

I hate UFC's submission system and EA MMA's submission system was easy to use. I didn't really know what I was doing and at first I was wondering why I could get submissions and not be submitted; I figured that it's just an easy to use system.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I think it's totally worth it. Both MMA fans and gamers alike should find a lot to appreciate in this title. The hardcore fans get the names we only know about, and the gameplay is superb. I can be pretty picky with Boxing/MMA games, and this game leaves me with little to complain about.

Here is a review I did of EA MMA on my blog... http://squaredoctagon.com/index.php?page=70

Also, here is a piece on did on the worst Boxing video games ever...http://squaredoctagon.com/index.php?page=44
How could you not put this boxing game in there???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIkr9UilPBs