Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 10-19-2010, 06:40 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Okay, I see what you mean. It could become "tricky". I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens...
A lot of this is a byproduct of how hard they are starting to come down on concussions too. Which is also a good thing, but I think they need to be careful about overreacting to one overly brutal Sunday and writing a check they are ready to see cashed by crippling a handful of teams each week with a plethora of unreasonable suspensions.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 AM

I think I heard or read something about how they're going to require at least 24 hours watch for when they think they might have a concussion instead of just eyeballing them for 15 minutes and letting them continue to play if they "seem" okay.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I think I heard or read something about how they're going to require at least 24 hours watch for when they think they might have a concussion instead of just eyeballing them for 15 minutes and letting them continue to play if they "seem" okay.
The league has really been pushing hard for guys with concussions to sit out at least one game after getting a hurt. That's what we have been starting to see more and more each season.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:53 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Here is a couple more clips... and just to show I'm not biased, they are both clips of Arizona Cardinals players.

Anquan Boldin smashed by the Jets...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9RfJ...eature=related

his jaw was smashed and had to be reconstructed, but Boldin is warrior and he was suited up after missing only two games and the Cards went to the Super Bowl that season...

Adrian Wilson smashing Trent Edwards the same season...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjpAN...eature=related

Edwards suffered a concussion and left on the cart, but returned the next game

I had no problem with either of those hits. Although obviously the Boldin one was very serious and had me scared and praying at the time, but I didn't think either were malicious or anything more than the what the game of football is.
The ones I hate are on the QB, you cant go to swat the ball cause if you brush the head your gonna get a flag. If your the same height as the QB you cant put your arms up to deflect a pass cause if you bump the QB the helmets hit and then your flagged again.

Some helmet ot helmet hits are dirty others are just so iffy it takes away from the game.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:34 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
The ones I hate are on the QB, you cant go to swat the ball cause if you brush the head your gonna get a flag. If your the same height as the QB you cant put your arms up to deflect a pass cause if you bump the QB the helmets hit and then your flagged again.

Some helmet ot helmet hits are dirty others are just so iffy it takes away from the game.
i agree with that .. there have been many questionable calls ... i know safety is paramount, but treating the QB as iuntouchable in some cases is crazy .... also the kicker ... getting tackled and rolling into the kicker shouldn't result in a roughing the kicker call imo
Old 10-20-2010, 04:50 PM

Default 3 Players get fines but no suspensions

There is a definite line in the sand as to how people look at this especially the players, but I think the three players fined deserved it. There is a difference between an inadvertent helmet hit which cannot be avoided and a deliberate one. With all the camera angles nowadays, I think they'll be able to distinguish between the two if there is a question; unfortunately, instant replay can't undo a concussion or possibly life changing injury from the kind of hits for which these three players were fined.

There's a video in the link at the end of the article--SI's Don Banks points out the possible implications/complications if there is not a uniform rule across the board that defines "devastating hits" so it's not so subjective. He brings up a lot of valid points...."gray areas"....something I know JB brought up earlier.

Quote:
NFL fines but doesn't suspend three players for dangerous hits

Story Highlights: James Harrison docked $75K; Brandon Meriweather, Dunta Robinson $50K NFL said it wanted to give players fair warning before suspensions Teams will receive a memo Wednesday about changes in discipline

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NFL imposed huge fines Tuesday on three players for dangerous and flagrant hits last weekend and warned that, starting with this week's games, violent conduct will be cause for suspension.

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison was docked $75,000 on Tuesday, while New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson will lose $50,000 each.

In the past, players were either fined or ejected for illegal hits. However, after the series of recent flagrant tackles, several of which resulted in concussions, the NFL ramped up the punishment.

Football operations chief Ray Anderson indicated the suspensions could start immediately - that is, involving play from last weekend's games. However, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league wanted to give teams fair warning and would send a memo Wednesday, outlining the changes.

Ravens tight end Todd Heap took a vicious hit from Meriweather that Heap called "one of those hits that shouldn't happen.'' Robinson and the Eagles' DeSean Jackson were knocked out of their game after a frightening collision in which Robinson launched himself head first to make a tackle. Both sustained concussions.

Harrison was punished for his hit on Mohamed Massaquoi. His hit on Joshua Cribbs did not figure in the fine, although it also caused a concussion; the league said Monday it was permissible.

Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, called the fine "staggering'' and said it would be appealed. He emphasized that neither play drew a penalty.

"I've talked to James, and he's very upset,'' Parise said. "He's quite confused about how to play football.''

The league noted Harrison is a repeat offender; he was fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness in Pittsburgh's win over Tennessee on Sept. 19.

In letters to the three players, Anderson said: "Future offenses will result in an escalation of fines up to and including suspension.''

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, didn't think the league was tough enough on Harrison.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?'' he said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

"The punishment did not fit the crime.''

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith wouldn't directly answer whether the league had consulted with the union before toughening up the penalties, saying simply that he talked to Commissioner Roger Goodell every day.

"We are going to look at this issue along with the league,'' Smith said at an event in St. Paul, Minn. "I am for anything that keeps our players safer. But at the same time, I don't look at everything in a simple microcosm.''

Browns president Mike Holmgren said it was important to have game video reviewed by officials familiar with the nuances of tackling.

"I think most of the time you can look at a play as a coach and say, 'You know what? That didn't have to happen,''' said Holmgren, the former Seattle and Green Bay coach. "And then sometimes you look at a play and say, 'Unavoidable. It was just one of those things.'

"I don't know if they are going to make that distinction yet, and I think it's a very important distinction.''

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin favored stricter enforcement of helmet hits, although he still thought Harrison's tackle on Massaquoi was legal.

"I think we need to safeguard the men that play this game to the best of our abilities and make it as safe as we can,'' he said.

The men being safeguarded didn't necessarily agree. Vikings defensive end Ray Edwards predicted players wouldn't change how they hit.

"If we get fined, we get fined,'' he said. "But the suspension stuff? That's taking it a little too far. I mean, it is football. We all signed up to play this game. Things happen. You can't alter the way you play the game. Sometimes that's how you get touchdowns.''

NFL's headshot wake-up call
Source: SISI.com's Don Banks discusses the increase in devastating hitting and what it could mean to the NFL and it's players. TRT - 02:47.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz12ukIbl9f

Last edited by Bonnie; 10-20-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:06 PM
County Mike

I think the guilty player should server a "+1 suspension". However many games the victim player misses due to injury, the guilty player should miss the same + 1. Which means, if the player isn't hurt enough to miss any games, the guilty player still misses one.

If you end someone's career with a dirty hit, you also end your own.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I think the guilty player should server a "+1 suspension". However many games the victim player misses due to injury, the guilty player should miss the same + 1. Which means, if the player isn't hurt enough to miss any games, the guilty player still misses one.

If you end someone's career with a dirty hit, you also end your own.
I definitely like your idea, Mike. Sounds fair to me.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

This simply isn't an issue that can be solved with any black and white answers, because there are too many gray areas. Attempts to implement any sort of universal punishment would result in more unfair rulings than anything.

Going after the guys who repeatedly violate the safety policies is one thing, and I think everybody is in favor of that. However, it's also important to note that the term "unnecessary roughness" is very vast. There is a huge difference between giving a guy an extra push or shove for running their mouth than going out and starching guys from their blindside without trying to make a legit play for the ball.

It all boils down to what the league has created. This may be a sport, but just like we all talk about the business side of MMA and selling fights, this is part of the business of the NFL. Defenders get paid BIG money to make BIG plays, and turnovers win football games. Win games, win championships, sell tickets, sell merchandise, that's how it works. They have been playing this game their whole lives to get this point, and they are being taught to play the game this way all way down to the pee-wee leagues. That's how it was when I was a kid, and unless the NFL becomes the NFFL (National Flag Football League) it's always gonna be that way.

This will certainly become an issue after this season when the league sits down with the players association to discuss the next collective bargaining agreement. There are still lingering rumors of a lockout next year, but I also read that they stand to lose about 10 billion dollars from a lockout, so I'm sure they will all come to a peaceful agreement.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:58 PM

I think like Don Banks mentions, if they are going to do this, they need to make it where the call is less subjective by individuals in different games and make a rule that's uniform for everyone to go by (e.g., one player being called for an illegal hit, but for another player in another game that same type of hit being called fair). Banks said players have always been taught to come in under and drive up, and that the league has discussed changing that making from the shoulders to the knees or above the knees the acceptable target area.

I think like the rule, punishment has to be somewhat uniform. They could look at the individual, if he is a repeat offender, and up the ante.

What is your solution JB? If they do nothing, someone like Harrison is eventually going to paralyze someone (maybe himself), or worse...