Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
When Evans KO'd Chuck, he was literally a split-second away from landing that left hook that was coming behind the overhand right. If Chuck wouldn't have fallen so fast he would have gotten it even worse.

A draw is basically a lose/lose for everybody involved. The fighters, the fans, and the promotion.
To me, those big round/wide punches Chuck throws leaves him wide open with too much time/opportunity for a faster/accurate striker. I know he has knockout power, but still.... After the Evans fight, when he came back, I thought we might see something a little different from him, but maybe at this stage it's just too ingrained.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:57 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
To me, those big round/wide punches Chuck throws leaves him wide open with too much time/opportunity for a faster striker. I know he has knockout power, but still.... After the Evans fight, when he came back, I thought we might see something a little different from him, but maybe at this stage it's just too ingrained.
I've always liked Chuck, but his style has always driven me nuts. Of course, when you are throwing hard looping shots all the time you have a better chance of knocking guys out, and we all know Chuck has knocked a lot of people out, but as soon as age catches up to a fighter and they lose a step in the speed department they end up getting exposed by younger or faster opponents.

Just the way he holds his hands leaves him with some major defensive liabilities, but he was always able to compensate for that by typically being superior in hand speed and power than his opponents. He also always had a stellar takedown defense, which kept him out of trouble a lot of times. Chuck took some good shots in his hey-day, but after Rampage KO'd him the rematch, something seemed to change about Chuck in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I've always liked Chuck, but his style has always driven me nuts. Of course, when you are throwing hard looping shots all the time you have a better chance of knocking guys out, and we all know Chuck has knocked a lot of people out, but as soon as age catches up to a fighter and they lose a step in the speed department they end up getting exposed by younger or faster opponents.

Just the way he holds his hands leaves him with some major defensive liabilities, but he was always able to compensate for that by typically being superior in hand speed and power than his opponents. He also always had a stellar takedown defense, which kept him out of trouble a lot of times. Chuck took some good shots in his hey-day, but after Rampage KO'd him the rematch, something seemed to change about Chuck in my opinion.
Father time is eventually gonna catch up with ya.

Last night, in the Browne/Congo fight, I couldn't believe how Browne came out with his hands down like that. I'm like, "Would you please put your hands up!"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I've always liked Chuck, but his style has always driven me nuts. Of course, when you are throwing hard looping shots all the time you have a better chance of knocking guys out, and we all know Chuck has knocked a lot of people out, but as soon as age catches up to a fighter and they lose a step in the speed department they end up getting exposed by younger or faster opponents.

Just the way he holds his hands leaves him with some major defensive liabilities, but he was always able to compensate for that by typically being superior in hand speed and power than his opponents. He also always had a stellar takedown defense, which kept him out of trouble a lot of times. Chuck took some good shots in his hey-day, but after Rampage KO'd him the rematch, something seemed to change about Chuck in my opinion.
JB breaking it down Boxing style lol.

You know since the Rampage fight thats when Chuck started his downward decline. Age maybe, others say its the lack of HgH which at the time was something people talked about with Chuck.

Last edited by logrus; 10-17-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 PM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
so that must make condit a better fighter ....

oh and anyone thinking bisping can beat AS? why do you think bisping wants a rematch with wanderlei? because he knows anderson would beat him like a stepchild ...
Nope makes me chuckle, especially since G.J was both their coaches.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

This is awesome...

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 PM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
JB breaking it down Boxing style lol.

You know since the Rampage fight thats when Chuck started his downward decline. Age maybe, others say its the lack of HgH which at the time was something people talked about with Chuck.
I don't know about that. When it comes to HGH all we can really do is speculate. Unless there is some sort of solid evidence that connects a fighter to it, such as a Balco style investigation or a dirty test, then I always like to think innocent until proven guilty. I've read where some experts say that there is absolutely no test for HGH, and I've read reports that say the exact opposite.

I do know that since after that rematch with Page, Chuck just hasn't looked the same.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-18-2010, 12:27 AM
ufcfan2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
This is awesome...

That was great
WAR CONDIT!!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-18-2010, 02:21 AM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post

Cheick needs to check himself out of the UFc.
tee hee

I LOVED seeing Hardy get KO'd. Way to go Carlos!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 AM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan47 View Post

Regardless, I enjoyed this one, a lot more than 119 which I paid for.
We were just saying the exact same thing, cubsfan.

Can Bisping beat AS?

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.