Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Jake Shields and Dana White Are Pissing Jon Fitch Off

From FiveOuncesofPain.com

Quote:
After the Josh Koscheck vs. Georges St-Pierre matchup for the UFC welterweight title in December at UFC 124, Jake Shields looks like the next likely candidate for a title shot – if he can get past Martin Kampmann when he makes his debut in the Octagon next Saturday at UFC 121.

“If Jake Shields should win against Martin Kampmann, it will probably be him next,” UFC President Dana White said at the UFC 124 press conference.

Shields is now 25-4-1, and while that looks damn good on paper, he is as yet untested in the UFC. The former Strikeforce belt-holder vacated that promotion’s middleweight title to join the UFC after notching his 14th-straight win with an April victory over UFC and PRIDE veteran Dan Henderson.

It’s hard to argue with Shields’ resume. The first and last Elite XC Welterweight Champion, Shields is the former Shooto Middleweight Champion. He trains with Cesar Gracie and is a member in good standing of what has come to be known as The Scrap Pack along with his fellow Gracie disciples Nick Diaz, Nate Diaz and Gilbert Melendez. His last loss game to Akira Kikuchi, and that was 5 years ago. Shields is currently the #3 ranked middleweight in the world in the USA Today Top 25 poll and somewhat prematurely ranked as the #7 pound-for-pound fighter in the world by Sherdog.

Kampmann, now 17-3 for his MMA career, has won 4 of his last 5 bouts, a streak which includes a win in June win over Paulo Thiago.

Here’s my issue with giving Shields a title fight after only one contest for the UFC; where does that leave perennial contender Jon Fitch?

Fitch firmly believes he should get a crack at the winner of the Shields-Kampmann tilt for the next title shot, and that makes sense for a whole list of reasons. The problem is, and it’s a big problem for UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, what do to with current champ Georges St-Pierre in the interim should he retain his title against Koscheck.

St-Pierre is a mighty draw for the UFC, and leaving him on the sidelines as the welterweight contenders sort themselves out is hardly a pretty picture for the UFC.

According to Fitch, that’s not his concern and he’s ready for his shot at the title.

“I would be a little perturbed if Shields got a title shot before fighting me,” Fitch said. “He’s done a lot, but he’d have one fight in the organization and Kampmann’s got losses to guys who aren’t even in the organization anymore.”

That is a very valid point, but it looks like the future holds some annoyance for Fitch regardless of his excellent oratory…
Old 10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
CAVEMAN

I agree that Shields should have to fight Fitch before he gets a title shot.

Boy......wouldn't it be something if Kampmann rained on Shields parade?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:11 PM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN View Post
I agree that Shields should have to fight Fitch before he gets a title shot.

Boy......wouldn't it be something if Kampmann rained on Shields parade?
I think Kampmann will win this fight at least I hope he does. I have nothing against Shields,but I'm a Kampmann fan.
I agree I think if Shields wins he needs to fight Fitch next to get a shot. I know ppl are hating the idea of Fitch/GSP II,but the guy has earned more than anyone else.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Country Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2 View Post
I think Kampmann will win this fight at least I hope he does. I have nothing against Shields,but I'm a Kampmann fan.
I agree I think if Shields wins he needs to fight Fitch next to get a shot. I know ppl are hating the idea of Fitch/GSP II,but the guy has earned more than anyone else.
I completely agree.
Dana White stood right there at the Fitch/Alvez 2 press conference and promised the winner the next title shot. I guess we see how much Dana's word is worth.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2 View Post
I feel the same way the only shields fight I saw was the Hendo fight and he didn't impress me at all. Kampmann seems like a cool guy and I hope he wins.

I also agree that If Shields wins he should fight Fitch. Where I think Fitch would win.

I actually want to see GSP vs Fitch 2. I think the first fight was great.( Probably my Favorite GSP fight) I have never seen anyone give Fitch such a beating. I became a fan of Fitch because of that fight and hes huge Heart. But I feel like he hasn't lived up to that version of himself.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:13 PM
rearnakedchoke

screw jon fitch ... he was given a shot and turned it down against matt ... you think dana forgets these things? shields should get a shot if he wins ... but doesn't matter ... all these guys would lose a title match to st. pierre
Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 PM
County Mike

The REAL reason Fitch got overlooked is because he's the most boring fighter in the UFC. Winning is great but it's still SHOW business. If you don't put on a show, it's hard to sell tickets to your fight.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:06 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
The REAL reason Fitch got overlooked is because he's the most boring fighter in the UFC. Winning is great but it's still SHOW business. If you don't put on a show, it's hard to sell tickets to your fight.
Jake ain't exactly exciting either. He pretty much hugged Miller for 4 rounds to win his first title. An then he beat a guy whos near the end of career anyways. Even that fight went to the D.

GSP vs KOS will also go to the decision
Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I'd have to agree with Fitch, but life's tough, we don't always get what we want, especially when Dana White runs it.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:18 AM
gymcoach97

If Shields wins, he gets the title shot. The storyline is too good - former Strikeforce Champion, beat UFC contender and former Pride Champion - Dan Henderson, etc. etc.

If Shields gets upset by Kampmann, then Fitch is the logical option assuming GSP beats Koscheck.

Assuming Shields wins and is next in line for a title shot, then you make a Fitch v. Carlos Condit fight. Winner fights for the title.

If Shields is upset and Fitch gets the next title shot, then I think it makes sense to make a Carlos Condit - Chris Lytle fight. Condit is confident in his stand-up skills and you know Lytle is going to stand and trade. Lytle is on a bit of a win streak and easily avenged a loss and defeated a former champion. His stock is up right now. As long as he doesn't get laid on by wrestlers, Chris Lytle is as tough as anyone in the division. His nemesis are good wrestlers that can avoid submissions and keep him down on the ground. Condit has a wrestling background (high school), but not to the pedigree of Koscheck, Fitch, Hughes, etc. etc.

Of course, the UFC could go ahead and give Condit the winner of the Kampmann-Shields fight and let Fitch fight for the title as well. That makes a good storyline because Condit has lost to both men by decisions.

I think that the UFC has a few different directions that they could go and all are marketable.