Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-11-2010, 04:47 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Couture Straddling Fence Between Movies & MMA

Apparently he's only still fighting because he's not getting any good parts right now:

Quote:
I'm not sure what the UFC has in store for me. Ive been working on trying to find a new movie part recently, but little success there, so well just kinda wait and see. I have three fights left on my contract. I've always taken fights one at a time, so we'll see what happens. [The UFC has] been keeping me pretty busy these last twelve months ... I know they'll probably throw something else at me and we'll go from there. I think (movies) is certainly what my interest is right now. I've had an amazing year, and I think it's time to start looking at that, for sure. That's probably what's going to carry me through for the next 10 or 15 years.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:45 PM
pistol-pete

His acting is pretty bad. I saw the Expendiables and I wasn't thrilled with his abilities to play anyone else but Randy Couture. I love the guy as a fighter, but I ain't paying to see him in anymore motion pictures.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Good for him. He wont be able to fight forever! I hope he eventually makes the transition. From what ive seen his acting ability is low....BUT that might be because they are typecasting him terribly...someone wants to offer him a part completely unrelated to fighting, preferably completely unrelated to action. They want to put him in some war movies, and possibly even some drama movies...steer clear of comedy, steer clear of fight/martial art movies...possibly horror...that way we will see him in a new light...and if he pulls it off he'll have a good twenty year career ahead of him
Old 10-29-2010, 04:09 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Couture says he's likely to never make another title run:

Quote:
Last month, MMA Fighting reported the possibility that five-time UFC champion Randy Couture would never fight again. Naturally, some people doubted the likelihood that the seemingly ageless Couture had seen his last action in the octagon, perhaps waiting to hear something from the legend himself.

Now the 47-year-old Hall of Famer has spoken, and while he didn't flat out say he was done, it seems clear that Couture's fighting future is hazy at best, or as his lawyer Sam Spira termed it, a "toss-up."

"I don't think I'm going to make any public announcements because I don't think anybody's going to buy it," Couture said in comments which aired on Thursday's edition of ESPN's MMA Live. "I did that once and came back. I don't want to be like Brett [Favre]. I do feel like I've had my wars, I've had my battles. I've been there, I've done that. I am competing and training and feel better than I ever felt physically but I don't see myself making another run at the title, at heavyweight or light-heavyweight, being honest."

Such a candid self-assessment and public admission is rare from an athlete who has accomplished so much in a storied career.

Couture (19-10) will always be considered one of the building blocks for the foundations of modern MMA and the rise of the UFC. A former Olympic wrestling hopeful, he transitioned into the sport just one month shy of his 34th birthday.

Within four matches, he was the UFC heavyweight champion, earning the nickname "The Natural" in the process. The first man ever to win titles in two UFC weight classes, Couture has been an enduring figure in the UFC while other stars came and went. It's clear from his comments that he's given way to the new class of athletes populating the top of the light-heavyweight and heavyweight divisions, and confirmed that fights against top contenders may no longer be the right decision for him long-term.

Couture has also been working hard to transition into acting, and had a role in the summer blockbuster The Expendables. All of that adds up to the possibility that we've seen the last of Couture in the cage.

"I think at some point, I've got to call enough, enough," he said. "I've had an amazing year. My last few fights in honesty were more novelty fights. Not to take anything away from my opponents, but that's the truth of the matter. They didn't really matter in the division, they didn't really put me any closer to a title, and I have to make a decision at some point. So I think I would entertain another novelty-type fight. I could still compete but I don't see myself making a run at the title any time soon."
Old 10-29-2010, 04:43 PM
rearnakedchoke

"I don't think I'm going to make any public announcements because I don't think anybody's going to buy it," Couture said in comments which aired on Thursday's edition of ESPN's MMA Live. "I did that once and came back. I don't want to be like Brett [Favre]. I do feel like I've had my wars, I've had my battles. I've been there, I've done that. I am competing and training and feel better than I ever felt physically but I don't see myself making another run at the title, at heavyweight or light-heavyweight, being honest."

he doesn't want to send naked photos of himself to female reporters?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:54 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
he doesn't want to send naked photos of himself to female reporters?
He doesn't want to make it all the way to the championship and lose in the last 2 minutes.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Blade

At least the ancient barnacle is honest with himself about how much he sucks. Now if only his nuthuggers would see the light aswell. I'm sick of reading/hearing about Couture.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
the ancient barnacle

thats a really unpleasent way of describing him Blade
Old 10-29-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post

thats a really unpleasent way of describing him Blade
I agree.

I don't think it's hes fault that The UFC gives him the hype they do. Hes a nice guy and never bashes people. I say 70% of fighters have something good to say about him. Ive seen it in random interviews and mostly everyone sees Randy as a role model or inspiration.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierDLC View Post
I agree.
Yay for us

one of the things I love about this forum is that we can all put the world to rights on here