Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 10-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Yes .. that is out of date and the way it was put in the car would foreshadow it not being a government Op. The FBI WOULD appear to claim the device, especially if they didn't to it, to try and track where it came from and figure out who is tracking this American citizen. With the connections his dad had, and why and how he was killed ... the MANY sleeper cells in America could have many reasons to do this. It's funny that people still mention the Patriot Act and Guantanamo Bay in a bad light of the Bush administration ... and Obama loved to use those as scare tactics to push the vote his way .. but now that he has access to information that is classified about their uses ... they are still alive programs. And .. only get press when people are trying to bash Bush. If they were as extreme and not necessary to protect the American people as he led people to believe in his run for office, he could have gotten rid of those programs the first six months in office.
So...you think the FBI turned up, not to reclaim their equipment, but to launch an investigation into who actually is tracking him? Therefore I suppose they could suggest that it could be a terrorist group that has planted the device, and therefore they could conviscate the artical on the grounds of National Security, supposing they could get information from the device that could lead to a warrent of arrest for those who did plant the device, and possible save the lives of American citizens depending on what those who planted the device planned to do in the long run.

Yes...that would work
Old 10-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

What exactly is a "sleeper cell" do you mean a Terrorist group
Old 03-03-2011, 03:36 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default UPDATE!!!!!!

UPDATE!!!!!!!

The student is now filing a lawsuit. Can't say that I blame him. Kid's got some balls.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41876956...ity/?GT1=43001
Quote:
Student files lawsuit over FBI's GPS tracking
Egyptian-American says he's never done anything to warrant being monitored

By NEDRA PICKLER

updated 3/2/2011 5:48:12 PM ET

WASHINGTON — An Egyptian-American college student who says he has never done anything that should attract the interest of federal law enforcement officials filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the FBI for secretly putting a GPS tracking device on his car.

Yasir Afifi, 20, says a mechanic doing an oil change on his car in October discovered the device stuck with magnets between his right rear wheel and exhaust. They were not sure what it was, but Afifi had the mechanic remove it and a friend posted photos of it online to see whether anyone could identify it.

Two days later, Afifi says, agents wearing bullet-proof vests pulled him over as he drove away from his apartment in San Jose, California, and demanded their property back.

Afifi's lawsuit, filed by the Council on American-Islamic Relations, claims the FBI violated his civil rights by putting the device on his car without a warrant. His lawyers say Afifi, who was born in the United States, was targeted because of his extensive ties to the Middle East — he travels there frequently, helps support two brothers who live in Egypt, and his father was a well-known Islamic-American community leader who died last year in Egypt.

FBI Spokesman Michael Kortan declined to discuss the lawsuit or the agency's investigation into Afifi, but said, "The FBI conducts investigations under well-established Department of Justice and FBI guidelines that determine what investigative steps or techniques are appropriate. Those guidelines also ensure the protection of civil and constitutional rights."

Afifi, who is a business marketing major and works as a computer salesman, said at a news conference to announce the suit that the agents never gave him a clear answer as to why he was being monitored.

"I'm sure I have done nothing wrong to provoke anyone's interest," Afifi said, although he noted that his family is from Egypt, he's a young man and he makes a lot of calls overseas. "So I'm sure I fit their profile."

Judges have disagreed over whether search warrants should be required for GPS tracking. Afifi's lawyers say they are filing this lawsuit in hopes of a decision saying that any use of tracking devices without a warrant in the United States is unconstitutional.

The federal appeals court in the Washington circuit where Afifi's case was filed ruled in August that the collection of GPS data amounts to a government "search" that required a warrant. The Obama administration asked the court to change its ruling, calling the decision "vague and unworkable" and arguing that investigators will lose access to a tool they now use "with great frequency."

The lawsuit says the agents who showed up to collect the device were "hostile," threatening to charge Afifi if he didn't immediately cooperate and refusing his request to have a lawyer present. The suit also says agents showed they knew private details about his life, such as which restaurants he dined at, the new job he had just obtained and his plans to travel abroad.

"At first I was really confused," Afifi said at the news conference, adding that he finally decided to turn over the GPS. "I did give it back to them after a lot of pressure."
Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 AM

The 9th circuit court - well-known for its liberal bent - had upheld the law that enabled the govt to put a tracking device on his vehicle without a warrant. Even Obama disagreed with the WA appeals court's decision.

CAIR has filed the suit for this guy; 'nuff said.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
County Mike

Quote:

The Federal Agent involved said they only had 24 hours to prevent a world disaster and tracking this kid was their only lead. "We didn't have time to get a warrant. Millions of lives were at stake!", said the agent.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
That's what he gets for having a terrorist dad.
+1
Old 03-07-2011, 01:33 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
What exactly is a "sleeper cell" do you mean a Terrorist group
pretty much .. but they go to the host country for which they plan to terrorize and live their as normal citizens blending into society .. getting jobs, making friends etc .. this is an attempt to not bring attention to themselves ... when they are called upon to wreak havoc, they do so as instructed ...
Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
wait...I dont have a car
Out of curiosity is that normal in your Country?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
Out of curiosity is that normal in your Country?
Depends where you live. Most people in the North will have a car...but you can go almost anywhere by bus or train in this country...I dont need a car...I can walk to work, and if I need to travel I can use public transport...its not like in America...you would need either a first world public transport system which you guys simply dont have...or some form of travel, because distances are much further...our country is only the size of California...as in...our WHOLE country...nothing is that far away.

In the south alot of people wont own cars, they are known as London Commuters. They travel by train (some from Yorkshire) to Greater London, where they swap from Train to the magnificent tube system. In London, Cars cant park, and it takes forever to travel through the system...whereas everything you need in the centre is within a four mile square radius, and the tubes underground are constant...there are also EXCELLENT bus services from every where to everywhere.

Thats why the London Bombings were such a disastor...if the Tubes and trains or busses go down...you have LITTERALLY MILLIONS of Commuters trapped within four square miles and no way of getting in or out. At Four Forty Five outside the Great West Door of Saint Pauls Cathedral, daily, there is what looks like a mass exodus...hundreds of city workers leave ON FOOT, the whole square mile is emptied each night, as its not residential at all...they all walk in an endless stream down ludgate hill and across blackfriars bridge...its like something out of an apokalypse movie with refugees or something...except they are all dressed in suit and ties and carry their brief cases...it is a staggering site...but within Central London Cars are nothing but a hindrance.

Now with petrol going up, road tax going up, MOTs costing more, and driving lessons being a rip off...a lot of people are not bothering with cars...they are going for motorbikes or mopeds...or they are walking.

I had driving lessons for over five years, in three different cars, diesel and petrol, in three different cities. I only took my test once and failed...not coz I couldnt drive, but because I couldnt pass their dumbass test Now im glad...I couldnt afford to keep and run a car.

When the time comes for me to want to do that, I shall take a short course, learn how to drive a moped or motorbike and ride forever on a provisional liscence
Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I passed my test when I was a Teenager and now every so often I have to renew my Licence! Every State recognizes each others drivers Licence! Nowadays to get your beginners Permit in Kentucky you have to get a passing grade in school. Rules are a bit different for adults beginners though. When I got mine it was eye test,Written test and driving test for beginners permit. Beginners allows you to drive with a licensed adult in the car. After awhile you can get regular licence. Where I live it can be rough without your own personal vehicle. The closest Grocery store is about a 15 minute drive!