Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I like him...but he wants to go slowly up. If they push him to fast he'll spoil, if they feed him up too much he'll spoil...its a fine line with fighters who have true potential. You feed the wrong guys in the wrong orders and its like leaving your butter outta your fridge for too long
Old 10-15-2010, 11:39 PM
cds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol-pete View Post
Really? How is he going to beat Bader? You are so sure of it you must know the ins and the outs of how it will be done so easily. Bader is undefeated, comes from a good camp, wrestling is legit, stand up is legit, so how will Bones just walk right threw him?

I ain't predicting who will win, but you are and I want to know how. Jones is dynamic, comes from a good camp, but this is a sport where you are going to eventually get beaten.

Everyone thought Machida was untouchable, but then the first fight with Shogun put a dent in his armor, and then the next fight ended with Machida laying on his backside.
He is going to beat bader....the same way he beat Hamil and Vera...(just as bad if not worse!!). Jones is a wreaking machine, he doesnt just beat guys....He destroys em(when was the last time you seen someone seriously fracture an orbital bone with a simple elbow strike)...After watching Baders vs lil nog fight I feel even more confident of this. One thing I observed with both Jones and Bader.

Bader is a good fighter.....great work ethic and a very well trained athlete but his natural/innate fighting ability is average at best(in comparison to other UFC fighters with a wrestling background).

Jones is an incredible fighter, extremely intuitive, natural fluid balance...Fighting appears almost effortless or even choreographed ....the guy was born to fight....similar to Silva, Lyota and GSP....and even BJ.

There really is no point in going through mma math....lets just see what happens.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:33 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I think Bones Jones and Brock Lesnar are two polarizing points in the discussion about HOW we should actually expect mixed martial arts fighters to progress through the professional ranks.

For years, I have been, and always will be, a big boxing supporter. Ultimately, I believe MMA will run into the exact same issues as boxing, and as the years pass, that continues to be proven. However, it is really funny is how many MMA fans I have seen make arguments on both sides of this debate, yet both still ultimately try to blame boxing for MMA's "problems".

Even though this probably needs it's own thread...I ask...

What do MMA fans think the proper approach to prospects/rankings should be?

Last edited by J.B.; 10-16-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:44 AM

Do you mean in how fast they move up--in who they get to fight?

Btw, I like Bader and Jones. The Hamil/Jones fight was hard to watch--those elbows were vicious! Hated to see someone lose like that and win like that.

Last edited by Bonnie; 10-16-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:47 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Do you mean in how fast they move up--in who they get to fight?
That is one way to put it...
Old 10-16-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
That is one way to put it...
Well, I was thinking of Brock since you mentioned him. I'm also wondering what or who is it gonna take to dethrone him. I had pinned my hopes on Carwin.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:38 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Well, I was thinking of Brock since you mentioned him. I'm also wondering what or who is it gonna take to dethrone him. I had pinned my hopes on Carwin.
So, let me ask Bonnie...(obviously this is nothing personal)

Is it about seeing the best succeed? Or is it about seeing who we want to see succeed?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
So, let me ask Bonnie...(obviously this is nothing personal)

Is it about seeing the best succeed? Or is it about seeing who we want to see succeed?
Well, I'd like to think it could be both. But, you and I both know that will be the exception and not the rule. So, if I'm honest, it's about who I like and want to win and they're not always going to be considered the "best".
Old 10-16-2010, 02:44 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Well, I'd like to think it could be both. But, you and I both know that will be the exception and not the rule. So, if I'm honest, it's about who I like and want to win and they're not always going to be considered the "best".
That's why you rule....

What's the over/under on making all sports fans as smart as Bonnie?

I've got my life savings on "the under"...

JB - out.....
Old 10-17-2010, 06:33 PM

I have a question: In the Hamil/Jones fight (I don't remember), did the ref get on to him for those straight down elbows at all during the fight or no? I know they ended up disqualifying him for it, but I couldn't remember if the ref "warned" him about it during the fight. Can you get points taken off for that like when you grab the shorts?