Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 10-05-2010, 08:17 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Why must you mess with my emotions, Joe Silva???

Why can't you just let Rich Franklin fight a gigantic tool? There are tons of them in the LHW division! Why does he have to keep fighting guys I like???

Quote:
Rich Franklin vs. Forrest Griffin Fight Planned for Feb. 5 UFC Card

A light heavyweight fight between former champions Rich Franklin and Forrest Griffin is in the works for the UFC's card on Super Bowl Saturday, Feb. 5, which tentatively has been labeled UFC 127.

Sources with knowledge of the planned bout told MMA Fighting that the fight has yet to be signed, but is the intended direction of the promotion. Additionally, sources have informed MMA Fighting's Mike Chiappetta the battle between the two former champions is expected for that event.

The bout will likely serve as the pay-per-view's co-main event under an anticipated middleweight title fight between champion Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort. Light heavyweight contenders Jon Jones and Ryan Bader are also expected to fight on the card. The event has not yet been announced, but is expected to take place in Las Vegas.

After failing to reclaim the middleweight title from Silva at UFC 77 three years ago, Franklin won back-to-back fights over Travis Lutter and Matt Hamill in 2008. Since then, his fights have all been against legends of the sport. Franklin lost a split decision to Dan Henderson at UFC 93, beat Wanderlei Silva at UFC 99, was stopped by Belfort at UFC 103 and, most recently, knocked out UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell at UFC 115 in June.

Since his win over Lutter at UFC 83, Franklin has toggled back and forth between weights. His fights with Hamill and Henderson were at 205 pounds. He fought Silva and Belfort at 195-pound catch-weights, then moved back to 205 for Liddell.

Franklin (28-5, 1 NC, 13-4 UFC) beat the late Evan Tanner for the middleweight title at UFC 53 in 2005 and defended it against Nate Quarry and David Loiseau before losing it to Silva at UFC 64. Silva has held the title since then.

Griffin (17-6, 8-4 UFC) has not fought since a split decision win over Tito Ortiz in their rematch at UFC 106 last November. He was scheduled to face Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in May at UFC 114, but had to withdraw with a shoulder injury. Since then, he has been rehabbing that injury, as well as promoting his second book.

Griffin, the Season 1 light heavyweight winner of "The Ultimate Fighter," won the light heavyweight title at UFC 86, beating Quinton "Rampage" Jackson by decision. He lost the belt to Rashad Evans at UFC 92 in his first defense, then was knocked out in the first round by Silva in a UFC 101 superfight.

The Franklin-Griffin bout is one that has been rumored for a while. UFC president Dana White told radio station 98 Rock in Baltimore in June prior to Franklin's fight with Liddell that the winner likely would face Griffin.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Why can't you just let Rich Franklin fight a gigantic tool? There are tons of them in the LHW division! Why does he have to keep fighting guys I like???
It sucks bro, but it's this way by design.

It's why we love the UFC and look at Boxing and the "evil" twin...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
It sucks bro, but it's this way by design.

It's why we love the UFC and look at Boxing and the "evil" twin...
Yeah, I know. I still don't have to like it though!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:10 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Yeah, I know. I still don't have to like it though!
No, my friend, no you don't....
Old 10-05-2010, 09:52 PM
logrus

Geez, Rich is really cleaning up the 205 division.. Good too see cause Forest hasn't won a fight vs a good fighter since 08, and no Tito "Excuse" Ortiz doesn't count.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 AM

lol yes I thought the same thing! How about Forrest and Rich vs Joe Silva!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 AM
sunshine_jkd

I agree in that I really like both of these guys. But I also think this will be a good fight and am looking forward to it. It's funny that so many people hate on Forrest. On mmafighting.com where I saw this fight announced,...all the comments were in response to how much Forest sucks, and has not improved since he left the TUF show. I could not disagree with this more. I personally feel hes come leaps and bounds since the show and is maybe the 5th best light heavy currently. I mean, he beat rampage (even though it was disputed, NO ONE thought he even deserved that fight), and was beating rashad until he got caught and taken down, and has a win over the current champ. His only losses are to Dan Severn (9 yrs ago! as his first ever mma fight), Jeremy horn who is a tough fight for ANYBODY, Tito Ortiz who back then was still a top 10 Light Heavy, Jardine who is also a tough fight for anyone and he got caught, the rashad fight and then The Spider. Not a bad win/loss record IMO. I think Forrest needs more respect for his body of work. Plus lets not forget that the guy comes to fight EVERY NIGHT...WIN, LOSE OR DRAW!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:14 AM

I feel your pain, Ben. It was bad enough when he matched Rich with Chuck...

Old 10-06-2010, 04:20 AM

I really like both these guys. It's a tough decision, but I'm going with Rich.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Oh no. That fight will be very hard for me to watch. I hate when either of those guys lose. The only good thing I can say is that it won't be a boring fight.

~Amy

My son made this for me: