Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Irish Pride's Avatar
Irish Pride Irish Pride is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 621
Default Make it up to the fans?

After Anderson's bout against Maia, Dana made a big speech about making it up to the fans and guaranteeing he would make it up, etc.

I was curious if anyone knew WHAT he did or IF he said anything in the past in reference to this. I didn't know if fans might have been refunded a little, or if some big card was supposed to be made or HOW he made it up to the fans?

Just something that popped into my head today.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Liddellfan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think his "make it up to the fans" was having him fight Sonnen. He said he was going to put someone in the octagon with him that would make him fight. I would think that was Dana's big make up?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Vizion's Avatar
Vizion Vizion is offline
Hughes fanboy
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,213
Default

I think he meant he would put on better overall shows and assure fans from now on there will be no more shenanigans like Anderson.
__________________


Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
After Anderson's bout against Maia, Dana made a big speech about making it up to the fans and guaranteeing he would make it up, etc.

I was curious if anyone knew WHAT he did or IF he said anything in the past in reference to this. I didn't know if fans might have been refunded a little, or if some big card was supposed to be made or HOW he made it up to the fans?

Just something that popped into my head today.
Some part of me thinks that Dana White may consider more cards with less of an interval a patching up. Lets be clear, the UFC have about trebbled their output in the last four years. In 2006 you were looking at one UFC every two-three months, and maybe one UFC outside of Continental America.

Four years later, they are doing one numbered event per month, an average of three in Britain, plus one in Europe, or somewhere else on the Planet, they are producing about four fight nights a year, about a WEC every other month, and maybe a TUF finale between the two Solstice

IMHO the main problem is that they are only using a quarter of thir fighters, and fighting them to death, so that their matches begin to mean almost nothing, they are not fighting who they should be. There is also a matter of time. they now have less then a month to hype a card, this means usually only one or two bouts get limelight...in past years, almost every single bout on the card was hyped and talked about...even in this day and age, there isnt enough time for the fans to digest one thing, before something else comes along.

Secondly, their is the issue of coverage, and with it, payment. British fans are sick of the most appauling cards which are lacking in the American Fighters they desire to meet. American fans are sick of the extortionate prices for a product half the value, especially when their are now three times as many of them. We are in a recession...and it would be asking a lot to pay for it if we were not.

Dana White has one come back that I have seen...and I shall let you know at the end of next week, if its good. These are known as Fan Expo. GOD only knows how the company is paying for this type of extravagence...but its marketted at piss cheap prices...I spent the equivent of what you guys pay for ONE ppv, for two days unrestricted access to a convention centre hosting media outlets, clothing brands, seminars, and fighters. The Expo IS a great idea, and its price is just right.

I've had two people this week tell me they are giving up following MMA because they are fast losing interest, its just not as good as it used to be, so they say. I do think that as a sport, this will sort the wheat from the chaff...even a boring card can be interesting to one who appreciates the art...but this level of growth is perilous for the UFC, its really dangerous IMHO...they could over stretch in too many ways...product strength, flooding the market, over saturation, two many different countries, to expensive, its dangerous...but its also a natural progression...one of several routes the UFC could go down, it is...to say the least, the most beneficial to the company, not the most beneficial to the fans...and certainly not that beneficial to the fighters...but thats business
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 PM
logrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion View Post
I think he meant he would put on better overall shows and assure fans from now on there will be no more shenanigans like Anderson.
An yet he put together UFC 119 lol. Mire vs Cro Cop was way more boring lol.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Vizion's Avatar
Vizion Vizion is offline
Hughes fanboy
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
An yet he put together UFC 119 lol. Mire vs Cro Cop was way more boring lol.
I think the UFC expected that main event to be great though.

Dana can make promises, doesn't mean his fighters have to keep them. There will always be boring cards. The best card since 100 was the Hughes one, and there were only a few before that..













like the Coleman/Couture one
__________________


Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2010, 03:27 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

He made it up by turning Chael Sonnen into a cartoon character...

That backfired too...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
I didn't know if fans might have been refunded a little
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2010, 03:45 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Dana White has one come back that I have seen...and I shall let you know at the end of next week, if its good. These are known as Fan Expo. GOD only knows how the company is paying for this type of extravagence...but its marketted at piss cheap prices...I spent the equivent of what you guys pay for ONE ppv, for two days unrestricted access to a convention centre hosting media outlets, clothing brands, seminars, and fighters. The Expo IS a great idea, and its price is just right.
It's not much of secret as to how the company affords to put on the "Fan Expos". It don't cost them much to rent out another facility in the city they are visiting that week, and then set up a bunch of tables filled with merchandise for sale, as well as charge a separate admission fee. The Expos are actually another good selling point when trying to bring the UFC to new markets because they help generate more revenue for the city they are in, on top of what the UFC already brings just by having their fights in each city, respectively.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Bonnie Bonnie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Where the bluebonnets bloom
Posts: 6,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
He made it up by turning Chael Sonnen into a cartoon character...

That backfired too...
Popeye? (except instead of eating leafy greens for strength...)




Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride
I didn't know if fans might have been refunded a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.