Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-29-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default GSP meets Manny Pacquiao in the Philippines

This is pretty cool.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSq...layer_embedded

Article Link: http://www.nowboxing.com/2010/09/vid...acquiao/13040/ (more detailed article at the bottom)
Quote:
(Video) UFC Champ GSP Meets Manny Pacquiao
Friday, September 24, 2010

UFC welterweight champion, Georges St-Pierre is on a 3-day trip in the Philippines to promote the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

While in Manila, the Canadian fighter wasted no time when he got the opportunity to meet the best boxer in the world, Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao, who is also UFC President Dana White’s favorite boxer to watch.

GSP also got some training in with boxing trainer Freddie Roach–Roach and GSP trained together for a few weeks over the summer at the Wild Card in Hollywood.

What impressed St-Pierre the most about Manny Pacquiao was his work ethic and how fast he was on the mitts.

“He’s the fastest guy I’ve ever seen in my life. Both his hands and his feet. He’s fast. He’s amazing,” said St-Pierre after witnessing Pacquiao’s pad work.

Video of Georges St-Pierre and Manny Pacquiao meeting and training in Manila

You can watch Georges St-Pierre on the Ultimate Fighter season 12 reality show every Wednesday night on Spike TV.

Georges St-Pierre is set to defend his UFC welterweight title against Josh Koscheck on December 11, 2010 on Pay-per-view.

Manny Pacquiao is going to fight for the WBC Jr. Middleweight title (if he wins he will be an 8 weight division champion) against the durable Mexican slugger Antonio Margarito on November 13 at Dallas Cowboys Stadium on HBO PPV. Top Rank Promoter, Bob Arum, believes the Pacquiao vs. Margarito fight in Texas will have an attendance of around 70,000 which would surpass the 51,000 attendance Pacquiao set against Joshua Clottey on March 13, 2010 at Cowboys Stadium, the facility holds up to 100,000 seats.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/g...eet-in-manila/
Quote:
UFC and boxing collide as leading champions Manny Pacquiao and GSP meet in Manila

By Gareth A Davies
Last updated: September 28th, 2010

Two great champions together. When Georges St Pierre attended training sessions with Freddie Roach, at his Hollywood Gym, it was inevitable that talk would fall on the brilliance of Manny Pacquiao, the world’s leading boxer.

In worldwide media terms, both athletes remain under-exposed, rather than the opposite. Dedicated, brilliant, shifting the paradigm are the pair of them. GSP’s journey to the Wild Card Gym, then led to a journey to Manila, to see Pacquiao’s homeland.

GSP is a sporting legend in his native Canada, but he had his breath taken away by Pacquiao’s standing at home. The seven-weight world boxing champion is now, of course, also a Congressman. St Pierre, if he had the aspirations, could probably attempt the same.

St Pierre, in Manila, said he “felt like the US President”, looking out on the crowds. “I was not expecting to see that many people,” said Montreal’s St-Pierre of his tour of the Philippines last week. “If people think I’m popular in the United States, they should have seen how it is over there. It was insane. I needed to have three bodyguards everywhere I went, and people were stopping the cars and buses in the street to come see me. I couldn’t believe my eyes. It’s hard to believe that the sport is even more popular than even in America.”

St-Pierre, who met with local media, appeared on several television shows, and also found time to catch up with one of his own fighting idols, Pacquiao, who was training with Roach in preparation for his upcoming bout with Antonio Margarito.

“Manny Pacquiao is one of my favorite boxers and it was a great experience to see him and how fast he is,” beamed St-Pierre. “To see it live and see it on TV is two different things.”

After visiting with Pacquiao and Roach, St-Pierre received the shock he never expected. “After the training I was leaving the gym,” he recalled. “I was on the balcony and the traffic on the street was stopping. People were pointing at me like ‘hey, this is Georges St-Pierre of the UFC,’ and the traffic stopped. It was like the city was shut down and I had never seen something like this before.”

“It was great,” said St-Pierre, who welcomed the opportunity to meet the people of the Philippines and spread the word about the world’s fastest growing sport. “It was my first time in Asia and the people were the nicest people I’ve met.”

One suspects that it won’t be too long – it has already been mooted for some time – that a UFC event will take place in Manila. The Filipinos are passionate fight fans. No doubt, moreover, the man known as National Fist, one Manny Pacquiao, will also be Octagonside.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:33 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I saw this the other day, GSP literally towers over Pacquiao
Old 09-29-2010, 01:46 AM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I saw this the other day, GSP literally towers over Pacquiao
But punches at a 1/3 of the speed.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus View Post
But punches at a 1/3 of the speed.
I still think GSP get more Girls!!

So I would rather be him LOL !!

Old 09-29-2010, 02:00 PM
rearnakedchoke

two of the greatest in their respective sports ... awesome ..