Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 PM
atomdanger

Default Will UFC 119 Be the Worst Performing UFC in Years?

Quote:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/9/22...9-be-the-worst

* As you likely noticed in the graph above, fan demand is not nearly as strong for UFC 119 as it was for Penn v Edgar, and continues to be for UFC 120 and UFC 121 - in fact it is about 60% less on average ($124 is 40% of the $307 avg. price of the other three events in this chart)
* There are obviously many factors at play here: UFC 119 is not a title fight unlike UFC 118/121 and the market is arguably not great - UFC 120 is taking place in the increasingly passionate UK market
* With that said, it is still clear that fans just aren't willing to pay as much for these types of filler events

The UFC has stubbornly refused to lower ticket prices in the face of recession. Where once the UFC would go to a new market like Columbus, Ohio and post a huge sellout, now they go to a new market like Indianapolis or Portland or Boston or Austin and have trouble moving all the tickets. Sure they're putting up some impressive financial numbers at the gate, but I argue they could be making more money and building a bigger bond with more fans if they lowered ticket prices and sold out every event.

The bigger question is what impact the weak card will have on the PPV buy rates. Earlier this year the UFC had a sustained trough of events that failed to break the 350,000 buy barrier which had been seen as the floor for several years. Even weak international events featuring Rich Franklin as the headliner were getting 350,000 buys in 2008 and 2009, but thanks to a succession of weak cards in late 2009 and early 2010, the UFC audience learned to be more discriminating.
What do you guys think?
You getting this card?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I think it will do a below average buyrate. The UFC is flooding the market with too many PPV's and eventually the fans will get completely sick of it and they will be forced to lower prices for some PPV's, cut some PPV's out, or take an entirely new approach.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I think it will do a below average buyrate. The UFC is flooding the market with too many PPV's and eventually the fans will get completely sick of it and they will be forced to lower prices for some PPV's, cut some PPV's out, or take an entirely new approach.
Yeah, anybody wanna do estimates on buys???

How about this, closest guess to the number they release I will send some promo materials from the Fedor / Barnett PPV that never happened.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

I'll bite...390k
Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM
matthughesfan21

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
That's only slightly better than the WEC's PPV, which hardcore MMA fans openly protested against buying. If it's that low it will be a major failure.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
That's only slightly better than the WEC's PPV, which hardcore MMA fans openly protested against buying. If it's that low it will be a major failure.
It will probably be a little higher but its still a card that people aren't going crazy over, its a weak card
Old 09-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Chris F

Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21 View Post
It will probably be a little higher but its still a card that people aren't going crazy over, its a weak card
Oh I agree, thats why I went just slightly under 400, because the lowest ones this year have been sailing under 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
Dana White loves your optimism!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:59 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Oh I agree, thats why I went just slightly under 400, because the lowest ones this year have been sailing under 450

Dana White loves your optimism!
i haven't paid attention to ppv buys lately so I was just pulliing a number out of my arse