Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > The Ultimate Fighter

Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I, for one, hope that you do get to meet Dana, and I hope you get it on video so I can post it on the blog....
Well, you never know. There is a lot I'd like to discuss with him, thats for certain
Old 09-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Dave, you do realize that Dana White is a Promoter, right? It's his job to sell the hot ticket items. When he's on camera, he's only supposed to tell as much of the truth as will increase PPV buys. It's like being the media correspondant for the President: yeah, you know all the dirty little secrets, but it's your job to make sure that no one else does.
TUF is a free show....by the time you've heard him say that, you're already watching...which brings me to the point that IF Dana White really wanted media attention over TUF...he might try broadcasting it on British Television
Old 09-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
TUF is a free show....by the time you've heard him say that, you're already watching...which brings me to the point that IF Dana White really wanted media attention over TUF...he might try broadcasting it on British Television
No TUF is not a free show.

TUF is aired on Spike TV. Spike TV is part of most cable companies "Basic Tier" of service. Meaning you have to subscribe to the tier of service to have it.

Free TV would be television that can be viewed "over the air". Spike TV has never been a "over the air" broadcast.

If Dana wanted "british" attention, he may try and find a channel affiliate to carry TUF. I guess he doesn't.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
If Dana wanted "british" attention, he may try and find a channel affiliate to carry TUF. I guess he doesn't.
He's tried...on and off...he's just yet to pull it off successfully.

If he wants British Fighters, he needs British attention.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
He's tried...on and off...he's just yet to pull it off successfully.

If he wants British Fighters, he needs British attention.

Actually it seems more like there are British fighters that are causing British attention.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:19 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
No TUF is not a free show.

TUF is aired on Spike TV. Spike TV is part of most cable companies "Basic Tier" of service. Meaning you have to subscribe to the tier of service to have it.

Free TV would be television that can be viewed "over the air". Spike TV has never been a "over the air" broadcast.

Most people have basic cable nowadays, so even though it's not actually free, most people consider anything thats not PPV or premium channels like HBO or Showtime to be "free" tv.

Dana definitely wants British attention. They just inked a big TV deal over there with Sky Sports.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Most people have basic cable nowadays, so even though it's not actually free, most people consider anything thats not PPV or premium channels like HBO or Showtime to be "free" tv.

Dana definitely wants British attention. They just inked a big TV deal over there with Sky Sports.
BTW...what Spiritwalker may not know, is that our Terrestrial Channels arent free either. to own a TV you have to have a TV Liscence...and they are very expensive. Thats just to watch the basic channels...of which there are only five

British Broadcasting One
British Broadcasting Two
Independent Tele Vision
Channel Four
Channel Five

This Liscence, and you need one for each TV I think if they are in different rooms, is something you have to buy EACH YEAR...you get a discount for Black and White TVs the cost is the annual sum of 126.50 which is around $200ish Beware...the Liscence fee often goes up between the years. You need a liscence EVEN IF you only ever use your TV to play videos or DVDs

The next level up is Freeview which you pay a one off fee of about 30 ($50) and get a load of Cable channels that broadcast through this box you are given.

The next level up is Cable, and most people have this now. You pay a suppliment to a company to effectively hire out a box, and they provide you with channels. The more you pay them, the bigger the package of channels you get.

Following that, the top level is Sky TV, and this works on a similar principle except not only do you need a box, you also need a dish...beware, in rented accomodation you'll need permission from the land lord...and astoundingly, the Council could move to stop you if they dont think the dish compliments the area...British Laws regarding anything to the exteria of the house, or anything in the street are absolute minefields.

Wanna raise a flagpole? better get council planning permission first...and even then, you are NOT allowed to fly just any flags...there are guidelines on what you can and can not fly. The flagpole actually attests to anywhere on the property...even if its free standing in the Garden.

Suppose for arguments sake. I wanted to errect a simple flag pole to the outside of my flat, and once a year, for arguments sake, fly the Stars and Stripes Standard I have stuck on my wall, say across 4th July weekend, just as a token gesture for a country we are allied to.

I would not be allowed. Firstly, they would forceably remove the banner, because no Standard of any other Country then England, or the Union Jack is permitted, then they would demand I remove the pole because I didnt ask their permission. If I refused they would start to fine me...if I still refuse I risk being dragged to a criminal court.

In order to fly foreign flags I think you have to be a business of somekind, and you probably need some really expensive liscences. Half of me wondered if they would let me bring it through customs on my return from ADT1. That was a serious thought too.

Last edited by Tyburn; 09-22-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
BTW...what Spiritwalker may not know, is that our Terrestrial Channels arent free either. to own a TV you have to have a TV Liscence...and they are very expensive. Thats just to watch the basic channels...of which there are only five

British Broadcasting One
British Broadcasting Two
Independent Tele Vision
Channel Four
Channel Five

This Liscence, and you need one for each TV I think if they are in different rooms, is something you have to buy EACH YEAR...you get a discount for Black and White TVs the cost is the annual sum of 126.50 which is around $200ish Beware...the Liscence fee often goes up between the years. You need a liscence EVEN IF you only ever use your TV to play videos or DVDs

The next level up is Freeview which you pay a one off fee of about 30 ($50) and get a load of Cable channels that broadcast through this box you are given.

The next level up is Cable, and most people have this now. You pay a suppliment to a company to effectively hire out a box, and they provide you with channels. The more you pay them, the bigger the package of channels you get.

Following that, the top level is Sky TV, and this works on a similar principle except not only do you need a box, you also need a dish...beware, in rented accomodation you'll need permission from the land lord...and astoundingly, the Council could move to stop you if they dont think the dish compliments the area...British Laws regarding anything to the exteria of the house, or anything in the street are absolute minefields.

Wanna raise a flagpole? better get council planning permission first...and even then, you are NOT allowed to fly just any flags...there are guidelines on what you can and can not fly. The flagpole actually attests to anywhere on the property...even if its free standing in the Garden.
See, there are rules that you gotta follow in life.

If you watch TV without a license, do you get a trial or do you just get punished with a fine?

I'm just teasing...but seriously, do they even test the TV's for PED's?

Okay, now I'm seriously done teasing...that is pretty crazy that you need a license to buy a TV and watch DVD's...people here in America would overthrow the government violently if they tried that crap here. Or they would just ignore it, which I'm sure many people do over there, lol
Old 09-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Actually it seems more like there are British fighters that are causing British attention.
thats coz he only ever seems to market British Fighters, to British people.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
See, there are rules that you gotta follow in life.

If you watch TV without a license, do you get a trial or do you just get punished with a fine?

I'm just teasing...but seriously, do they even test the TV's for PED's?

Okay, now I'm seriously done teasing...that is pretty crazy that you need a license to buy a TV and watch DVD's...people here in America would overthrow the government violently if they tried that crap here. Or they would just ignore it, which I'm sure many people do over there, lol
Their slogan is "pay now, or you will pay later"

I think fines...and conviscation obviously, followed by a court summons I suppose.

I think billions of people ignore it...but they arent dumb. They use a device to see if something is receiving the TV signal, and then see if that property is registered with the liscence