Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 09-25-2010, 02:07 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker View Post
With that being said... errors happen.

I have never mett Eddie but I do know several people that have trained with him and have had nothing but great thigns to say about him.

Sad that something like that did/could happen, but saying "back peddled" is a harsher way of saying .. "got that mistake fixed".

I know a few schools that operate under the Gracie name that are garbage.. but that doesn't mean that the founding Gracie is really at fault.. just didn't take enough care to protect their name.

I would have a "rough time" learning from someone that wasn't Dan ranked anyway.. under a sokeship membership.
Errors happen? lol

Giving somebody a brown belt and opening up a satellite academy is pretty goddamn huge in the scheme of errors. lol

and no, he back peddled, because at first he backed Brandon Quick (said brown belt) and once people called his lineage into question, he had nothing to say.

And "gracie" is wayy too broad of a term to say they were a gracie school.
You would have to get specific and say exactly what gracie they were tied to, and then that they had garbage satellite schools.
"gracie" isn't one giant brand, like 10th planet is.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:09 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
word.

Eddie's style is too dependent on having BJ penn like flexibility.

Good to use on someone who has never seen it but anyone that's worth his salt on the mat will tell you basic grappling overcomes that fancy **** any day
Not only that, but being super flexible doesn't work for everybody.

Not only that, but Eddie's system has come under such criticism for never producing any world champions in BJJ or ADCC, that Eddie is going to start his own "10th Planet" championships.
Several of his moves are illegal in BJJ, and ADCC.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Errors happen? lol

Giving somebody a brown belt and opening up a satellite academy is pretty goddamn huge in the scheme of errors. lol

and no, he back peddled, because at first he backed Brandon Quick (said brown belt) and once people called his lineage into question, he had nothing to say.

And "gracie" is wayy too broad of a term to say they were a gracie school.
You would have to get specific and say exactly what gracie they were tied to, and then that they had garbage satellite schools.
"gracie" isn't one giant brand, like 10th planet is.
ok,I am not familiar with Brandon Quick and the issue.

and I agree that I would not let someone open a school with my name,without knowing MYSELF.. what the skill set is.

And there are 2 "gracie" schools I have been in... one was a joke...not going to name names... but it's true.

just saying that there are two sides to every story.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Crisco

Quote:

and I agree that I would not let someone open a school with my name,without knowing MYSELF.. what the skill set is.

And there are 2 "gracie" schools I have been in... one was a joke...not going to name names... but it's true.

The best schools to learn grappling are from guys who are from way back when in the sport and start mma academies with "grappling" classes.

BJJ is too linear in comparison and the amount of rolling and instruction you get with your instructor is much higher.

Guys like Eddy Rolon in NJ are the mold for being great grappling coaches.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 AM
atomdanger

Quote:

Right, but you can't even name names.
(too many gracies by farrr, but I know Rickson doesn't have satellite schools,
the Torrence academy doesn't either, maybe Gracie Barra?)
Either way,

I would say that sort of mistake is a sign of something, and not a good one.
I would seriously consider the quality of satellite schools at his gyms.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Right, but you can't even name names.
(too many gracies by farrr, but I know Rickson doesn't have satellite schools,
the Torrence academy doesn't either, maybe Gracie Barra?)
Either way,

I would say that sort of mistake is a sign of something, and not a good one.
I would seriously consider the quality of satellite schools at his gyms.

Not naming any schools cause "some people" would be offended.. and they would back up there school with the same venom I would mine.. that isn't the point.

What I was saying is that I agree with you, but there are two side to this story, you choose your side, I have mine.

Sadly what I do agree with is that Eddie let some one open a school under his banner, that was not personally tested by him. Also sadly, that anyone would be willing to take up serious training from some one that hasn't "mastered the basics" yet. IMO... all a black belt really means is "adaquate beginner"/skilled beginner.

Like I said, I have never met Eddie Bravo. I have never trained with him or at his schools.. I DO know several people that have met him, and did/currently train under the 10th Planet banner in some way or another.. and have had nothing but great times, great training and success from that training.

I do know that Eddie Bravo's lineage is excellent.. and can be traced back to Mitsuyo (sp?) Maeda. Maeda also is well known for training Carlos Gracie... so.. I find it a bit tough to blast Eddie's team.. because of this guy.. or I could turn around and use the same reasoning (or better) to say the same about other schools...
Old 10-01-2010, 07:42 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Not naming any schools cause "some people" would be offended.. and they would back up there school with the same venom I would mine.. that isn't the point.

What I was saying is that I agree with you, but there are two side to this story, you choose your side, I have mine.

Sadly what I do agree with is that Eddie let some one open a school under his banner, that was not personally tested by him. Also sadly, that anyone would be willing to take up serious training from some one that hasn't "mastered the basics" yet. IMO... all a black belt really means is "adaquate beginner"/skilled beginner.

Like I said, I have never met Eddie Bravo. I have never trained with him or at his schools.. I DO know several people that have met him, and did/currently train under the 10th Planet banner in some way or another.. and have had nothing but great times, great training and success from that training.

I do know that Eddie Bravo's lineage is excellent.. and can be traced back to Mitsuyo (sp?) Maeda. Maeda also is well known for training Carlos Gracie... so.. I find it a bit tough to blast Eddie's team.. because of this guy.. or I could turn around and use the same reasoning (or better) to say the same about other schools...
I understand your thinking,
I just think it says too much about how much he is paying attention to his satellite schools.

Eddie is a BB under Jean-Jacques Machado, and that is more than respectable,
and I know Eddie has helped a lot of guys fine tune things.

I just think he is too busy to keep any sort of standards up.
(His schedule for seminars is INSANE)

I say the same thing about a lot of schools,
Gracie Barra for instance has 400+ black belts and over 300 schools.
One has to assume its nearly impossible to monitor that many schools.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I understand your thinking,
I just think it says too much about how much he is paying attention to his satellite schools.

Eddie is a BB under Jean-Jacques Machado, and that is more than respectable,
and I know Eddie has helped a lot of guys fine tune things.

I just think he is too busy to keep any sort of standards up.
(His schedule for seminars is INSANE)

I say the same thing about a lot of schools,
Gracie Barra for instance has 400+ black belts and over 300 schools.
One has to assume its nearly impossible to monitor that many schools.

Gracie Barra.. well.. I have issues with 5 of those schools I have been in. But no natter.. I would just not recommend any that I have been in to others.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 AM
warriorlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
word.

Eddie's style is too dependent on having BJ penn like flexibility.

Good to use on someone who has never seen it but anyone that's worth his salt on the mat will tell you basic grappling overcomes that fancy **** any day
Crisco, have you ever tried to use the rubber guard???

Its only fancy for those who dont understand it, some of the positions are more complicated than you need in a mma match, but the imitial positions are very very effective.

I got a bonafide purple belt in a omapalata using the guard, and I have good flexibility but I am no bj penn. added to that the guy I caught also trains using rubber guard techniques.

basic grappling cant help you if you are tried up in knots by someone that knows what they are doing.

thats kinda why Bravo beat Royler Gracie
Old 10-14-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorlion View Post
basic grappling cant help you if you are tried up in knots by someone that knows what they are doing.

I don't know about that...

I understand where you are coing from, but IMO.. you take a wrestler and put them against a BJJ guy with the same skill set.. the wrestler will win the majority of the time...